Advice on Recent Maintenance causing Floaty Steering and Squeaking Brakes - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-06-2012 Thread Starter
Rookie

Advice on Recent Maintenance causing Floaty Steering and Squeaking Brakes

I recently took my vehicle in for some needed maintenance. Tire and Wheel professionals changed the rotors, brake pads, did wheel balancing and alignment. Since then I have been noticing and feeling two different issues. I have already taken it back twice and the problem is still evident.

Issue #1: when applying pressure to the brakes it squeals a little. At first it was pretty bad and I took it back. They stated may have been the new rotors which were warped. They changed it again and now it's acting better. The noise comes and go from time to time. I say around 40% of the time every time I brake I hear the squeal. If I put pressure down quick you hear it squeal for a second and it goes away. If I slightly put pressure you hear it squeal after I press it down around 1/4th of the way. If I let go of the brake and press it again, the squeal is gone.....I don't know

Issue #2: I have notice considerable play when driving over 60 MPH, the vehicle seems to stay straight but you can feel the steering wheel shake and vibrate. Depending on the surface I'm driving it could be worst. Not only that, everytime I hit any uneven surface the car seems to float and play my steering wheel. I have to be constantly making small adjustments to my steering wheel every time I drive, a little to the left or right. Sometimes I have to hold the steering wheel in one position just so it won't start going to the left or right. I live in Montgomery AL and I have used these people for a long time. I don't trust many of these mechanics in Montgomery, so I stick with this company since I have experience with them. I just don't understand why they can't fix my problem.

Any advice would help greatly

Valkery: 2005 Ford Mustang GT
Viper Protects it from the Unknown
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-06-2012
Banned
4.6L Member

how many miles are on the car? The steering will deteriorate over time...ball joints, racks, steering shafts, bushings all need replacing eventually...what kind of tires are you running? The brakes should not squeal....new rotors warped? Geez it never ends, some gorilla probably over torqued them with an impact wrench and warped them, they only need 80 ft/lbs, get a torque wrench and make sure they are correct, I'll bet they are way over

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-06-2012 Thread Starter
Rookie

I'm not sure about what it has honestly, I'll take pics and give information once I'm home this afternoon. Thanks for the quick reply though and the useful info. The vehicle has 120K on it, purchased it used a few months back with 117K. It's been working sweet, just a few things that needed to be taken care of. The only issue now is the handeling, squealing, and steering issues. Once I get these fixed, it'll be workin new again.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-06-2012
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Issue 1. The noise from the brakes is an easy diagnose: The brakes are "vibrating" (all brakes do this when pressure is applied) and you can hear it because they did not put a high-temp grease between the pistons and the back of the pads. No grease always equals squeals!

Issue 2. What you are experiencing is improper alignment (or possibly worn ball joint and tie rods but that should have been observed and repaired when aligning).

Issue 3. Find a better shop with real mechanics. The one you have now is a joke.

2007 Mustang GT Premium
Redfire Metallic w/ Dark Charcoal Leather Interior
5-speed manual w/ Hurst Competition Plus Shifter
18" Polished Fan Blade Wheels
GT Appearance Pkg
Interior Upgrade Pkg
Airaid CAI w/ FRPP Tune
Roush Lowering Springs
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-06-2012 Thread Starter
Rookie

Thanks for the info, quick and down to the point. I spent lots of money last time , I will keep bringing it back till it gets fixed within warranty. Once it's done, I will look for some one else.

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-06-2012
Rookie
4.6L Member
S197 Member

I was having a very similar issue with my steering. Turns out, I got the trouble codes for the Cam Sensors (meaning alt was going), so I replaced my alternator. When I did, my steering tightened back up. My guess is that the power steering hydrolic pump wasnt getting enough juce.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Manystangs View Post
how many miles are on the car? The steering will deteriorate over time...ball joints, racks, steering shafts, bushings all need replacing eventually...what kind of tires are you running? The brakes should not squeal....new rotors warped? Geez it never ends, some gorilla probably over torqued them with an impact wrench and warped them, they only need 80 ft/lbs, get a torque wrench and make sure they are correct, I'll bet they are way over
I've seen new rotors (albeit cheap rotors) warped straight out of the box. What you are implying is virtually impossible. They over tightened the lug nuts and warped the rotor hat with the wheel mounted. No way. Ive had had my wheels on and off more than I care to count. Always with an impact gun. Worse case scenario is the lug nuts swell or split.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey4now View Post
I was having a very similar issue with my steering. Turns out, I got the trouble codes for the Cam Sensors (meaning alt was going), so I replaced my alternator. When I did, my steering tightened back up. My guess is that the power steering hydrolic pump wasnt getting enough juce.
Pretty sure electric power steering didnt come into the picture until 2011. When your alternator is down on power everything is down on power. Everything in modern cars depends on sufficient electrical power.

Op: I would have to agree with cavediver's assessment. Your shop didn't apply sufficient anti-squeal or the backing of the pad has already started to separate. Vibrations felt through the steering wheel at highway speed is indicative of a bad balance. Not all shops have the same equipment or even calibrate the equipment they have. Find a shop with a good road force balancer and make sure they install quality brake parts.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-06-2012
Rookie
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Pretty sure electric power steering didnt come into the picture until 2011. When your alternator is down on power everything is down on power. Everything in modern cars depends on sufficient electrical power.

So are you saying that the hydrolic pump for the power steering isn't electric?
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-06-2012

Quote:

So are you saying that the hydrolic pump for the power steering isn't electric?
Yup...it's mechanical and driven off the belt. Ever notice your idle dip a little if you are sitting still and start cutting the wheels? It takes power from the motor to spin all those accessories to include the power steering pump.
Rookie
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Interesting, then my question is, why did my steering tighten up after my alternator was replaced?

Quote:
Interesting, then my question is, why did my steering tighten up after my alternator was replaced?
Who knows...could be the new alternator cleaned up your ignition thus the power made on the belt. I know of at least one case where a Ford GT was having problems with spark blow out and a stronger alternator cleaned that up along with a bunch of other things to the point the tuner thought he might have to retune for an alternator change!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page