Diferential Noise - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-07-2012 Thread Starter
Rookie

Diferential Noise

About a month ago I changed the pinion seal on my 2006 GT. All went well until I started looking around on the internet and got into this "crush sleeve". I am almost positive that I overloaded the bearing and now there is a noise coming from the rear end but, only when I turn though. I'm thinking that it is the bearing making the noise but not for sure. Also, if it happens to be this "crush sleeve" how difficult would it be to change?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-07-2012
GT Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Why do you think you overloaded your bearing? Did you apply excessive torque wen reinstalling the pinion yoke? It takes a lot of force to crush the sleeve. If you were just going by feel, there is a good chance you would have under torqued it and do not have enough load on the bearings.

You could check it with a dial torque gauge. You would want to pull the axle shafts out of the differential to do that so you aren't spinning the shafts and getting a reading that is artificially high. I don't know what the spec is for rolling torque on the pinion, but I'm sure someone else can provide that.

2008 Mustang GT Deluxe, Black, Manual Transmission, Black Cloth Interior
Show: Katzkin Leather Interior, Matte Black 10" Stripes, NXT Step Performance Axlebacks, Pypes M80 Mufflers (mid mounted), CDC Sequential Tail Lights, 14" Shorty Antenna, Ford OEM Plenum Cover, Ford Semigloss Black Painted Valve Covers, Leather Wrapped OEM Steering Wheel
Go: Airaid Race CAI, BAMA Tune, J&M Lower Control Arms, JLT Oil Separator
Coming Soon: Motive 4.10 gears
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-07-2012
Apprentice

Did you add the right amount of friction modifier to the gear oil?

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-12-2012 Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porky Pig View Post
Did you add the right amount of friction modifier to the gear oil?
This was a very controversial subject in Oriely's. I put two quarts of royal purple on the counter and a bottle of champion additive and the guy told me that I wouldnt need it so I took his word for it. Long story short the differential has 2Oz. or less of the same additive with royal purple 70 140w.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-12-2012 Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by markag View Post
Why do you think you overloaded your bearing? Did you apply excessive torque wen reinstalling the pinion yoke? It takes a lot of force to crush the sleeve. If you were just going by feel, there is a good chance you would have under torqued it and do not have enough load on the bearings.

You could check it with a dial torque gauge. You would want to pull the axle shafts out of the differential to do that so you aren't spinning the shafts and getting a reading that is artificially high. I don't know what the spec is for rolling torque on the pinion, but I'm sure someone else can provide that.
Well I used an impact gun and cranked the sucker down.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-12-2012
Apprentice

I would throw 4 oz. of Ford Racing friction modifier in it. Cheap cure maybe? Summit has it for $3.50 a bottle.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6806stang View Post
This was a very controversial subject in Oriely's. I put two quarts of royal purple on the counter and a bottle of champion additive and the guy told me that I wouldnt need it so I took his word for it. Long story short the differential has 2Oz. or less of the same additive with royal purple 70 140w.
Did almost the exact same thing but at Autozone when I redid the seal in my 01 F-150. First time I drove it I could hear the limited slip was ef'ed up. Its probably too late now and it needs to be rebuilt or replaced with something better.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-15-2012
PONY Member

You have a clutch problem, not a bearing problem. If the noise is only there when you are turning a corner then it's not the bearings, it's the clutches. The oil additive that is sold at the auto parts stores is junk and doesn't work most of the time. Go to Ford and get the correct additive for the oil and the problem will go away in a few days. If the guy at the auto parts store told you that you don't need the additive then don't go to him for any more advice.

2002 Mustang 3.8L 5 speed 3.27 Trac Lock
2007 Mustang 4.0L 5 speed 3.31 Trac Lock -SOLD
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-15-2012 Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porky Pig View Post
I would throw 4 oz. of Ford Racing friction modifier in it. Cheap cure maybe? Summit has it for $3.50 a bottle.
worth a shot before i go rebuilding it huh.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page