2008 GT Water Leakage to Interior - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-07-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice
4.6L Member
S197 Member

2008 GT Water Leakage to Interior

My 2008 GT recently developed a water leak into the interior. After a rainfall, once I move the car I get a flush of water into the car from under the passengerside dash. It has happened twice. I keep the car spotless, clean out any accumulation of leaves or debris from all likely drainag paths regularally.

Has anybody encountered a similar problem or know the likely cause & solution?

I do not have a garage, the car is parked outside always.
m3

m3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-07-2012
PONY Member

what do you mean by all likely paths? Did you remove the passenger side vent panel and clean the drain hole where your cabin airfilter is?

It is better to remain silent and be thought of a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-08-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynobrat View Post
what do you mean by all likely paths? Did you remove the passenger side vent panel and clean the drain hole where your cabin airfilter is?
Thanks for the reply. I have not removed the vent panel to check the filter. I will give this a try.
Thanks
m3

m3

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-08-2012
Apprentice
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Here is a good write up with pics:

https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...-leak-fix.html

Summer beater - 2007 Mustang GT Convertible - Tungsten Grey - 5 speed handshaker, Eagle GT's, FR500S axlebacks, Airaid CAI, Bama tuned, Steeda strut tower brace, 5W-20 standard oil, stock hood corrosion and occasional fuel fill troubles (SOLD)
Winter beater - 2006 Acura TL - Anthracite Metallic - AT, Continental DWS, AM/FM cassette, non-navigation (SOLD)
Former summer beater - 2003 Honda S2000 - Loser Blue - 6 speed, no mods (SOLD)
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-08-2012
GT Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Just to let you know. This is a very common problem encountered in 2005+ Mustangs. You will want to check that area on a somewhat regular basis to make sure it the drain passages aren't clogged and holding water.

2008 Mustang GT Deluxe, Black, Manual Transmission, Black Cloth Interior
Show: Katzkin Leather Interior, Matte Black 10" Stripes, NXT Step Performance Axlebacks, Pypes M80 Mufflers (mid mounted), CDC Sequential Tail Lights, 14" Shorty Antenna, Ford OEM Plenum Cover, Ford Semigloss Black Painted Valve Covers, Leather Wrapped OEM Steering Wheel
Go: Airaid Race CAI, BAMA Tune, J&M Lower Control Arms, JLT Oil Separator
Coming Soon: Motive 4.10 gears
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-09-2012
Apprentice
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzkill911 View Post
Thanks for posting that link. I just discovered the same issue with my 07. I'll be replacing the cabin filter this weekend along with cleaning out those drains. At least its an easy fix.

"Leave the gun....Take the Cannolis"
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-09-2012
Rookie
4.6L Member
S197 Member

One thing that write up doesnt mention is that there is another drain point on the drivers side as well. It's not as low as the passenger side so if it gets clogged it will overflow to the pass side. My driver side one was seriously clogged too.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-10-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Thank you all for the information about this leakage problem. I will take the panels off, clean out the gutters and replace the filters this weekend.

When you are unaware of this problem and you first see a waterfall coming out from under your glove box it is quite shocking!
Thanks again for the information.

m3
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-17-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Thanks again for the advice. I took care of the problem last weekend.

One thing I did learn is that the drainage ways have rubber duckbill valves that are the discharge points for the space between the firewall and dash pannel. There are two of these valves, one located on each side of the car. The duckbill vales are located about midway up the fire wall. You can reach them by hand and reach inside with your finger to pull out the accumulated debris. Once you clear the debris you can flush the valley with water to make sure it is all clear and flowing freely. You don't necessarily need to remove the plastic panels from the wiper blade area to get this job done.

m3

m3
Apprentice
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Just finished changing the cabin filter and checked both drain points and they were NOT clogged so the water that is getting my front passenger side carpet is coming in from somewhere else. The car has been out in some pretty heavy downpours and its not garaged. Yes, its a convertible. Any other suggestions as to where this water is coming from?
Thanks!!

ski
GT Member
S197 Member

Here's a TSB for that problem:
http://www.justanswer.com/uploads/mu...14152_1121.pdf

Water can also leak through seams below the A-pillar if the sealant has failed.
Apprentice
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ski View Post
Here's a TSB for that problem:
http://www.justanswer.com/uploads/mu...14152_1121.pdf

Water can also leak through seams below the A-pillar if the sealant has failed.
Just spoke to the dealers service manager and we set an appt for next week to inspect the issue. Told him about the TSB and he said that there was a Mustang in the shop right now with the same issues.

Thanks for posting that TSB link.

SHELBY GT 350 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzkill911 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey4now View Post
One thing that write up doesnt mention is that there is another drain point on the drivers side as well. It's not as low as the passenger side so if it gets clogged it will overflow to the pass side. My driver side one was seriously clogged too.
I mentioned the driver's side drain in post #4 of that thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Murphy View Post
Thanks again for the advice. I took care of the problem last weekend.

One thing I did learn is that the drainage ways have rubber duckbill valves that are the discharge points for the space between the firewall and dash pannel. There are two of these valves, one located on each side of the car. The duckbill vales are located about midway up the fire wall. You can reach them by hand and reach inside with your finger to pull out the accumulated debris. Once you clear the debris you can flush the valley with water to make sure it is all clear and flowing freely. You don't necessarily need to remove the plastic panels from the wiper blade area to get this job done.

m3

I had to remove the plastic panels on mine because the cowl was full of pine needles.

Like us at Facebook.com/TeamUPR
Follow us on Instagram @uprproducts
Ask me about the discount on UPR Products for AFM members!
ski
GT Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruffy07 View Post
Just spoke to the dealers service manager and we set an appt for next week to inspect the issue. Told him about the TSB and he said that there was a Mustang in the shop right now with the same issues.

Thanks for posting that TSB link.
Not a problem. Good luck fixing the leak.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
leakage

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page