Can someone help with low idling/dying/low oil pressure problem? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-08-2012 Thread Starter
Rookie

My mom has a 2007 GT with about 130,000 miles on it. For the past two years when shifting from 4th to 5th it would jerk if you were doing under 40, but as of recently it's been jerking when shifting from any gear to another. An additional problem we've had is when we will pull up to a stop light and put it in the neutral then first the revs will drop to about 200 the engine will catch and it will go up to 1000, and recently it's not been catching and will just completely die. The last, and considerably the worst is random dying. This has happened to my mom and I several times. The other day she was merging onto an interstate doing 55 in 5th gear and the car just died. I know this is an excessively long question, but I'm really trying to fix this problem so I can get my car back. Please any help is greatly appreciated.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

One more thing. Yesterday when I was driving I was shifting from 2nd to 3rd and when I put it into third gear the low oil pressure light came on and I had no power at all. I had the pedal floored and the car was just coasting. It finally caught, but I'm wondering what this may be also.

Last edited by Snackmaster; 08-08-2012 at 04:14 PM. Reason: merged back to back posts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-08-2012
Snackmaster

Welcome to AFM! You posted in the right place. Give it a bit and I'm sure we have some members here that can give you some insight.

Thanks for joining!

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-08-2012
PONY Member

low idle below normal idle will trip the low oil pressure warning light. That I wouldn't be concerned about, because that's just a result of the real issue.

I'm not a mechanic but I am guessing that you should change your spark plugs and coil on plugs. And since they are very cheap and never hurts change your fuel filter. That's my advice and maybe someone else has something to add. To me it does sound spark related though. And if you change the coil on plugs use ford oem ones, don't use anything else.

It is better to remain silent and be thought of a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-08-2012
Apprentice
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Clean the MAF also.

2008 5.0
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-08-2012
GT Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBMAMF5 View Post
Clean the MAF also.
And Throttle body.
A PCM Reset could help too. Unplug the negative battery terminal for 15 min. Its always worth checking.

'05 GT
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-09-2012
PONY Member

Hey. Ford tech here.

I would start with cleaning the throttle body as stated. But you said you have low oil pressure. Have you check this with a mechanical Gauge? The car has to be at normal operating temp. At about normal idle speed. Let me know what you find and I can further assist you

Any codes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-09-2012
SheizaSoSay

Quote:
Originally Posted by everton992000 View Post
One more thing. low oil pressure light came on and I had no power at all. I had the pedal floored and the car was just coasting. It finally caught, but I'm wondering what this may be also.

That sounds to me like your car died out and then started again, which would explain the oil pressure light and the coasting bit. Ok, spark plugs are due if they have never been done. Don't do the coils. They are expensive and possibly not even necessary. Cleaning the throttle body is a good thing or MAF, but before all that, I would drive down to Autozone and have them test your battery and alternator. Alternator's suck in these cars with a big ole fat period. Get those checked out first. Plus it's free.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page