My 2006 GT might be totaled - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-08-2012 Thread Starter
Rookie

My 2006 GT might be totaled

I got rear ended and may have frame damage. My car is in great shape, it runs great, everything is intact...except for some bumper damage and possible frame damge in rear. If it gets totaled, what is the best way to sell my car whole? I don't want to part it out in "pieces". How much can I sell it for, as parts but as a complete car and how would I go about advertising it?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-09-2012
SheizaSoSay

If it's a total, doesn't the insurance company pay you for your car and then they sell it?

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-09-2012 Thread Starter
Rookie

I own it out right. I would have to get a salvage title from DMV. Claim rep stated I could do with the car what I wished.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-09-2012
GT Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Even if you own it outright, if the insurance company totals the car, they should be the ones to take care of selling it for you. Sometimes they will let you buy it back from them. Maybe that is what they ment about getting a slavage title. But usually people do that so they can rebuild it and keep driving it. If you are just looking to get rid of it, I would let the insurance company do all the work.

2008 Mustang GT Deluxe, Black, Manual Transmission, Black Cloth Interior
Show: Katzkin Leather Interior, Matte Black 10" Stripes, NXT Step Performance Axlebacks, Pypes M80 Mufflers (mid mounted), CDC Sequential Tail Lights, 14" Shorty Antenna, Ford OEM Plenum Cover, Ford Semigloss Black Painted Valve Covers, Leather Wrapped OEM Steering Wheel
Go: Airaid Race CAI, BAMA Tune, J&M Lower Control Arms, JLT Oil Separator
Coming Soon: Motive 4.10 gears
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-09-2012 Thread Starter
Rookie

I am keeping my car, I do not have to buy it back. I own it, insurance pays for the loss. I'm just looking for the best way to off load my car in it's entirety, not in pieces.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-09-2012
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vavoom00 View Post
I am keeping my car, I do not have to buy it back. I own it, insurance pays for the loss. I'm just looking for the best way to off load my car in it's entirety, not in pieces.
Doesn't matter if you own it outright or not. If the insurance company writes it off as a total loss they cut you a check for the car, transfer the title and then put it up on auction to recoup some of their costs. You can choose to keep the car, but if you do they will deduct a salvage amount from the payout you receive. If you're getting rid of it anyway, better to just let the insurance company take it because they will usually give you full blue book value + tax.

2005 Sport-Utility Mustang Convertible
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-09-2012
Apprentice

Insurance companies

I agree with the rest , Insurance companies don't allow you to double dip. They recover some of their costs from claims, by selling the wrecks. You will either get a check for the hole amount of the car's value and they keep the car, or you will get a reduced amount and you will get to keep the wreck.

There can be only 1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
salvage , sell for parts , selll whole car for parts

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page