Which motor oil to pick? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-11-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Which motor oil to pick?

My 08 GT has 36,000 miles on it. I have been running Mobil 1 5W-20 but I was wondering if that was just used for gas mileage since many people told me that when the car hits out of the USA they use 5W-30. I would much rather have more protection than has mileage since the supercharger isn't really helping out with wear and tear. What are your thoughts on switching to 5W-30 or any other brand of oil?

Whipple S/C 550 HO kit, FRPP 3.73 Gears, FRPP springs, Steeda Spyder 20x9 and 20x11, BMR LCAs, BMR ReLo Brackets, Front and Rear CShelby Sway bars, Hurst Billet Shifter, Custom Dyno Tune, MRT O/R H pipe, Borla Stingers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-11-2012
Rookie

oil weight

Well as far as the fuel mileage argument goes the lower weight oils such as 5w-20 are more fuel efficient than say a 10w-40, because the lower number mean the oil is overall a 'thinner' more free flowing oil, therefore giving less resistance. I've heard of maybe 1-3 mpg differences by changing from a heavier weight like 10w-40 to 5w-20, but I generally like to go with what the manual says for the car. So...in short it may help gas mileage but really not a whole lot. The reason for Ford's choice of 5W-20 would not be based on mileage.

By changing over to 5W-30, you are not necessarily increasing protection, because as some know the 'W' in the 5w-20 doesn't mean weight, but winter. Oils are rated by the SAE at 32 and 212 degrees and tested for their viscosity and flow at both temps. So depending on your application and environment, ie, if you live in the frozen tundras of Russia, instead of a 5W, I would use a 10 or 15W for the extreme cold. The second number is the performance rating for the oil in summer. The change from 20 to 30 would thereby upgrade the oil from being rated for a moderate temperature summer to a little higher temp or hotter longer runs on the highway, the higher the number (20, 30, 40) the higher the temp it is rated for staying viscous and free flowing, so if your car isnt in a pretty hot place in the summer or you aren't sustaining high rpms or highway runs 5w-20 to 5w30 change may not be necessary. Not sure that a supercharger would change anything for oil rating.

Hope that made sense.

I own an '07 GT and run Pennzoil Ultra Full Synthetic 5W-20 and it works fine for me.

Cars are meant to be driven, not trailed.

2007 Vista Blue GT 5spd. JLT CAI. GT500 60mm Throttle Body. Bama Tunes SCT SF3. Bassani X Pipe. Pypes Hi Flow Cats. Magnaflow Axel Backs. MSD Blaster C.O.Ps. Eibach Rear Sway Bar. GT500 Strut Tower Bar. IUP. HID Headlights, Halo HID fogs. Hood Pin Kit. Custom Pinstriping. Red Calipers. Deck Lid Blackout Panel. Chin Splitter. Headlight Splitters. Spinner Center Caps.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-11-2012
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgt2007 View Post
The reason for Ford's choice of 5W-20 would not be based on mileage.
Fuel mileage, and more specifically CAFE mileage, is probably the biggest reason Ford chose a 5W-20.

Quote:
So depending on your application and environment, ie, if you live in the frozen tundras of Russia, instead of a 5W, I would use a 10 or 15W for the extreme cold.
You would be making a big mistake by increasing the cold temperature viscosity of the oil just when you really want to do the opposite. I'd use a 0W-30 to help the oil reach the motors critical components as quickly as possible in extreem cold.

Quote:
The second number is the performance rating for the oil in summer. The change from 20 to 30 would thereby upgrade the oil from being rated for a moderate temperature summer to a little higher temp or hotter longer runs on the highway, the higher the number (20, 30, 40) the higher the temp it is rated for staying viscous and free flowing, so if your car isnt in a pretty hot place in the summer or you aren't sustaining high rpms or highway runs 5w-20 to 5w30 change may not be necessary.
Neither number is a "performance" rating, but rather relates to the cold temperature and hot temperature viscosity of the oils. In the case of high temperatures it's related to flow through a standard orifice at 100-degrees C; for the cold, or W portion of the specification, it's cold cranking viscosity and cold pump-ability -again using a standard test bed but varying temperatures depending on the W rating.

I think 5W-30 is an excellent choice for a supercharged Mustang.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-11-2012

These oil threads rank right up there with "which gears" or "what's the best exhaust". You're going to get a gazillion opinions. Here's a link to a good forum with lots of knowledgeable members and engineers:

Bob Is The Oil Guy - Forums powered by UBB.threads™

Just remember your VCT, if not locked out, is controlled by your oil.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-12-2012
ski
GT Member
S197 Member

Do not use 5W-30 oil. It can cause oil flow problems in the cam phasers, which will damage the phasers.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-12-2012

I've been running 5W30 since I built my motor (with limiters) making over 650 to the tires and it's running better than ever now. IMO 20 is a little thin to offer sufficient protection in higher horsepower applications generating significant heat. I don't think I would go any heavier than 30 but I would be open to the idea.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-12-2012
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbonnie View Post
Fuel mileage, and more specifically CAFE mileage, is probably the biggest reason Ford chose a 5W-20.

You would be making a big mistake by increasing the cold temperature viscosity of the oil just when you really want to do the opposite. I'd use a 0W-30 to help the oil reach the motors critical components as quickly as possible in extreem cold.

Neither number is a "performance" rating, but rather relates to the cold temperature and hot temperature viscosity of the oils. In the case of high temperatures it's related to flow through a standard orifice at 100-degrees C; for the cold, or W portion of the specification, it's cold cranking viscosity and cold pump-ability -again using a standard test bed but varying temperatures depending on the W rating.

I think 5W-30 is an excellent choice for a supercharged Mustang.
Makes it easy to post when someone before you gets it right so all you have to do is say I agree.

Since the oil is water thin at the high temp number my bet 5w-30 won't hurt anything. Ford has mileage issues to worry about and they might be getting better mileage with 5w-20 weight. I use 5w-30 Mobile One it goes on sale at Costco.

Alex
2010 GTRR in 5.0 Magazine [http://www.mustangandfords.com/featured-vehicles/m5lp-1212-2010-ford-mustang-gt-rr-total-fabrication/viewall.html]

2015 White SC, PP, etc....

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-13-2012
ski
GT Member
S197 Member

It's your dime.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-13-2012
Apprentice

FoMoCo red bottled cheap crap that i buy at wal mart......$35 oil change. thats what the motor was designed to use....so thats what it gets...

2010 Mustang GT, FRPP 3:73.1 gears, Paxton NOVI 2200 H.O. supercharger, SCT brenspeed tune, KOOKS LT headers, catted H pipe, SSS axleback exhaust, Comp Cams Detroit RoCkErS, brenspeed grind, DuPont SuperJetBlack re-spray w/ ChromaPremier clear, blocked down and buffed out, no orange peel! and a 3m clear bra.. It sounds like my Ducati 996 now. :-P
BHP? Lots, I guess...
Apprentice

I always run what Ford says. I work for a city and we drive Crown Vics all the time. The only engine issue we have ever had is when they switched oil and had a couple engines seize up. I believe it is partly due to the timing chain tensioners. They need oil quick and the longer it takes to get there the more wear that is done. I had a Chevy Tracker with a DOHC 6 that had the same type set up. There were numerous warning to run a specific oil weight or you would be spending $1600 for new timing chain tensioners. Mine had 130,000 mile with no problems, some people had to replace theirs at 40k due to using the wrong oil.
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaporizer View Post
I always run what Ford says. I work for a city and we drive Crown Vics all the time. The only engine issue we have ever had is when they switched oil and had a couple engines seize up. I believe it is partly due to the timing chain tensioners. They need oil quick and the longer it takes to get there the more wear that is done. I had a Chevy Tracker with a DOHC 6 that had the same type set up. There were numerous warning to run a specific oil weight or you would be spending $1600 for new timing chain tensioners. Mine had 130,000 mile with no problems, some people had to replace theirs at 40k due to using the wrong oil.

Prior Law Enforcement here, we beat the dog pi$$ out of our cars and never had an issue, with just plain ole ford oil.

2010 Mustang GT, FRPP 3:73.1 gears, Paxton NOVI 2200 H.O. supercharger, SCT brenspeed tune, KOOKS LT headers, catted H pipe, SSS axleback exhaust, Comp Cams Detroit RoCkErS, brenspeed grind, DuPont SuperJetBlack re-spray w/ ChromaPremier clear, blocked down and buffed out, no orange peel! and a 3m clear bra.. It sounds like my Ducati 996 now. :-P
BHP? Lots, I guess...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page