Removing Factory Fuel Hard Line 2005 Mustang GT - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-15-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Removing Factory Fuel Hard Line 2005 Mustang GT

Has anyone ever removed the factory fuel supply line from the drivers side fender well (NOT the spring lock connectors up by the rails, although that is the other side of the line I'm talking about)? I want to pull out the factory hard rubber line and run braided steel straight from the connector on the fenderwell to my fuel rails. I know what adapter I need to use but I'm not sure how to get the connector off. It's a pretty tight area and I can't see it very clearly. The Ford service manual describes it as a quick connect fitting but I don't see anything on the outside of it to press in and pull.

Power in Numbers: None of us are as dumb as all of us
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-15-2012
GT Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

its there, to make it easier you can take out your driver side inner fender well, then boom! its right in you face and easy to get to

D.O.B. 3V/GT500 Kit 463 RWHP/ 465 RWTRQ @ 11.5 PSI on 92oct - Dyno Dynamics Dyno
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-15-2012
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrochy View Post
its there, to make it easier you can take out your driver side inner fender well, then boom! its right in you face and easy to get to

Is not that easy, you must remove the L/F tire, your inner fender and them you see it. But it is still hard due to the lack of room in that area. I replaced my too but it wasn't easy.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-15-2012

Pretty sure I used a set of these also at some point in time when I pulled mine out. But I also removed the entire system to include the evap and I can't remember what was what. I have a pile of lines and fittings in the basement and none of it makes sense now.

OEM/5/16, 3/8, 1/2, 5/8, 3/4 and 7/8 in. A/C and fuel line disconnect tool set (25052) | Line Disconnect Tool | AutoZone.com

I had my car mostly in pieces so it was much easier to access through the fender well like the guys said.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-16-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

I just put my LT's back on last night, in hind sight I should have waited and done this at the same time since I would have had more room. Oh well, guess it's going to be one of those sweating, pulling, twisting, and swearing exercises until I get it off

[email protected], would you mind taking a peek at the line when you get a chance and see if it has a spring lock connector or what exactly on the end of it? It should be pretty easy to identify that section since it has the big fuel line supply spring lock on one end.

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-16-2012
PONY Member

It has a spring connector, i used one of these :OEM/5/16, 3/8, 1/2, 5/8, 3/4 and 7/8 in. A/C and fuel line disconnect tool set (25052) | Line Disconnect Tool | AutoZone.com

The problem is the lack of space, you can't get your whole hand in there only your fingers. It's a pain but doable.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-16-2012
GT Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by george06 View Post
Is not that easy
was for me and i did it from the top. it does suck but it can be done

D.O.B. 3V/GT500 Kit 463 RWHP/ 465 RWTRQ @ 11.5 PSI on 92oct - Dyno Dynamics Dyno
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-16-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Did you guys take out your brake fluid reservoir and master cylinder? I was thinking about doing it, seems like it would make it a lot easier to get to all of that. Thanks for the confirmation on the connector type.

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-16-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

All right, got the stock stuff off but it was a royal PITA. Tried to pop it off with the removal tool for several hours with no luck, even pulled the master cylinder to get to it easier and still no luck. Ended up using a cut off wheel to separate the connector enough to pull it apart.

So, didn't get a good look at what the stock end looked like, before I mangled it anyway. I attached this fitting Russell Performance 640850 - Russell Fuel Rail Fitting Adapters - Overview - SummitRacing.com But, I'm getting fuel leaking when I turn the pump on. I think it's pushed down all the way. Anyone know if you are supposed to reuse the stock o-ring on that connector? I checked the stock end of the factory hard line and I didn't cut it at all, looks good so that's not the problem.

Rookie

That should be just fine. I used 640853 which is the black versin and no leaks. It did pop off once though and cost me a tow! I had fuel spilling out the bottom of the car. Luckily no boom! I had the car towed to my garage and I thought it was the fuel filter, but that checked out okay and when I pulled on the braided line under the hood that end just popped off the hard line. I had the intake off before the incident and I think I put an extreme angle on the connector which just had to loosen it enough that the car stil got gas and didn't konk out.

2007 GT Windveil Blue (WBR 099)

CDC/Foose Hood with CDC Shaker system, Detroit Rockers,Kooks LT w/Catted H-pipe and Boss 302 Side Exit Exhausts, Pypes Pype Bomb muffler deletes, FRPP 4.10 Gears, C&L Racer CAI, MGW Shifter, BMR Suspension, Steeda Spyders (Machine Face/Lip), NITTO 275/35 & 315/35
PONY Member

This is the fuel line that is made for the car. All you have to do is R&R.
Russell Fuel Line Kit FORD MUSTANG GT 2005 - 2007 4.6 651106
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-18-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

I popped it off last night, there are o-rings built in to the inside of the fitting that make the seal. My problem is that I apparently wasn't as niinja as I had thought I was and found where I nicked the hard line and put a hole in it. I'm going to get one of these Fragola Performance Systems 373060 - Fragola Performance Systems P.T.F.E Hose Assemblies - Overview - SummitRacing.com and just remove the factor line down to the fuel filter. Has a couple added benefits, one being that if the fitting ever does pop off, I leak fuel under the car and not in my engine bay and the other being it's a hell of a lot easier to get to

PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrglenni View Post
I popped it off last night, there are o-rings built in to the inside of the fitting that make the seal. My problem is that I apparently wasn't as niinja as I had thought I was and found where I nicked the hard line and put a hole in it. I'm going to get one of these Fragola Performance Systems 373060 - Fragola Performance Systems P.T.F.E Hose Assemblies - Overview - SummitRacing.com and just remove the factor line down to the fuel filter. Has a couple added benefits, one being that if the fitting ever does pop off, I leak fuel under the car and not in my engine bay and the other being it's a hell of a lot easier to get to
Please, take pictures when you do the install. I am curious as to how you are going to mate all of the lines. thanks.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-18-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

No problem, I was going to take pictures already along with my breathers, new hood struts, and the fuel rail pressure sensor swap to the passenger side. I ordered that line this morning, should be here in couple days so I'll get it all in this weekend.

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-24-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

So here it is. Was a bit worried 60" line wouldn't be long enough but turns out it was plenty. Pulled the stock line all of the way out down to the fuel filter and connected the adapter to the end of it. Then ran the line up the same way the stock one was ran.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3016.JPG
Views:	2345
Size:	313.8 KB
ID:	164167   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3017.JPG
Views:	365
Size:	277.6 KB
ID:	164168   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3018.JPG
Views:	735
Size:	530.9 KB
ID:	164169   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3020.JPG
Views:	489
Size:	338.7 KB
ID:	164170   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3021.JPG
Views:	676
Size:	439.0 KB
ID:	164171  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page