How to remove rearview mirror? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-17-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

How to remove rearview mirror?

Hey guys. I want to install a "dash cam" in my car.

I've noticed my rearview mirror is powered (to automatically dim, and to show the direction I'm driving). Since the "dash cam" will be installed directly behind the rearview mirror, I would like to tap into the rearview mirror to power the "dash cam".

So, I've looked at the back of the mirror, and there are three wires installed into a terminal block -- this is NOT a connector. I'm guessing the top of the connector block has some small screws to unhook the wires -- but I can't get to them...

So, I need to remove the mirror from the windshield. Any ideas how I can do this without breaking something?

THANK YOU!

2009 Mustang GT Premium: Grabber Orange with custom black paint | 5 Speed Manual | 3.73 Gears | Custom CarFX Tune | Steeda Cold Air Intake | Steeda Axle Back Exhaust | Push To Start | Hurst Competition Plus Short Shifter | Rear Window Louvers | Window Tint | 8-inch Shorty Antenna | Parnelli Jones Race Number | ELEANOR Style Honeycomb Grille | ELEANOR Style Quarter Window Louvers | ELEANOR Vanity Plate
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-17-2012
Apprentice

Garage
I haven't looked at the Mustang mirror. There is usually a set screw to loosen then slide it off the bracket glued to the windshield

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-17-2012
PONY Member

https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...r-removal.html

08 GT Vert, Manual, PerfWhite, RedLeather, ClothTop, I-UP, ActiveAlarm, HID's, HeatedSeats, Scoop, Sirius, FoMoNav, 18"PolishedBullitt's, AmbientLights, GentexMirror(Electro/Comp/Temp/Homelink), JaegerFlaps, CPCHoodlifts, CDCWindDeflector, FRPPCAI/Tune, Shelby/Drake STB, JLTOilSep

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-17-2012
Apprentice

Can you post a picture of your dash cam? I am trying to imagine what it is going to end up looking like when it is installed. I would like to do the same thing. thanks!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-17-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathyc33 View Post
Can you post a picture of your dash cam? I am trying to imagine what it is going to end up looking like when it is installed. I would like to do the same thing. thanks!
I haven't actually ordered the dash cam yet, because I want to probe the three wires with a digital multi meter to see what the voltage is...

My geuss is that one wire is ground, one wire is +12 constant, and one wire is +12 keyed with the ignition -- but I don't really know.

The dash cam that I like uses a +5 volt power source, so I will need to use a small voltage regulator to convert the +12 volts down to +5 volts. I fly Remote Control aircraft, and have a "Battery Eliminator Circuit" that will work perfectly for this.

In any event, here's the dash cam that I like best, so far. THE VIDEO DASH CAM STORE - Buy VC-127HD Now

I'm also looking at this one -- but I don't like the external GPS antenna: 1080P Full HD Car DVR Car Black Box Vehicle DVR Car Camcorder With GPS Logger/G-Sensor/HDMI/Remote Control

2009 Mustang GT Premium: Grabber Orange with custom black paint | 5 Speed Manual | 3.73 Gears | Custom CarFX Tune | Steeda Cold Air Intake | Steeda Axle Back Exhaust | Push To Start | Hurst Competition Plus Short Shifter | Rear Window Louvers | Window Tint | 8-inch Shorty Antenna | Parnelli Jones Race Number | ELEANOR Style Honeycomb Grille | ELEANOR Style Quarter Window Louvers | ELEANOR Vanity Plate
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-17-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Ugh -- that seems scary and not worth the trouble!!!

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-17-2012
PONY Member

It was totally worth it for the homelink/ temp. It is wired just like you said. The homelink is constant in my set up for th garage doors, the temp/compass is on the ignition. With The correct tool for the mirror it is cheap and easy.

08 GT Vert, Manual, PerfWhite, RedLeather, ClothTop, I-UP, ActiveAlarm, HID's, HeatedSeats, Scoop, Sirius, FoMoNav, 18"PolishedBullitt's, AmbientLights, GentexMirror(Electro/Comp/Temp/Homelink), JaegerFlaps, CPCHoodlifts, CDCWindDeflector, FRPPCAI/Tune, Shelby/Drake STB, JLTOilSep
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page