To cam or supercharge? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-19-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice

To cam or supercharge?

I've been looking to supercharge or put in a camshaft for quite a while, and i cant really decide between either one of these. I'm looking for suggestions as to which to choose between. I've been looking at the vortech v3 (non-intercooled) or maybe the saleen supercharger from brenspeed and as for camshafts i'm not really quite sure which; I've had my eye on the frpp hot rod camshafts just because of their lope. I am sort of a low income teenager so thats my reason for the non-inter-cooled. I'm looking for others opinions about their supercharger/cams or just if you have anything to say. Every bit of advice helps! I drive an auto 05 gt.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-19-2012
PONY Member

I guess really the question is what are you trying to get out of the car?

Whipple S/C 550 HO kit, FRPP 3.73 Gears, FRPP springs, Steeda Spyder 20x9 and 20x11, BMR LCAs, BMR ReLo Brackets, Front and Rear CShelby Sway bars, Hurst Billet Shifter, Custom Dyno Tune, MRT O/R H pipe, Borla Stingers
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-20-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice

I'm looking for more power when i get on it every now and then or more sound from my car not particularly louder just a nice lope with a cam. I know the v3 isnt particularly loud, so i've been looking at the saleen supercharger and m90, but i have been satisfied with brenspeed, so i was trying to stick with using them.

post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-20-2012
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

you could get the DOB kit. its around $3000-4000 all together and it will sound like a gt500

2010 Performance White Mustang GT
FRRP Hot Rod Cams, CAI+Tune, longtube headers, Steeda intake delete plugs, Spec stage 2 clutch and flywheel, SLP LM, 3.73 gears, hurst short throw, steeda LCA, Steeda sport springs, gt500 struts, Powerslot rotors, and a bunch of appearance mods
324rwhp 308tq
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-20-2012
SheizaSoSay

If you are doing that install yourself, I would consider the DOB manifold and GT500 blower also. It's gonna SLAUGHTER the non-intercooled Vortech....big time, unless you can run E85. Then you would essentially have a "chemical intercooler". Cams are cool. I would get a Hotrod cam and get someone who knows how to tune them real good. American Muscle tunes thoughs good. Whatever shop MarcS works for can tune them good also. So you could pick up 30rwhp with a hotrod cam or go big a get a blower.
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-20-2012
SheizaSoSay

That didn't come out right. I meant "if" you got a hotrod cam, get someone who tunes them good.
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-20-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice

I'd like the DOB set up I'm just not the most technically inclined person. I realize the vortech will have heat soak. Just looking for a little extra fun factor
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-20-2012
PONY Member

If more power is your #1 goal I think its hard to argue against a supercharger per dollar spent.

If your #1 goal is the old school lopey hotrod sound then I think cams and exhaust are the ticket.

So is your goal the sound or the power? You can have both too. A lot of guys are running a SC and Cams together. Brenspeed has a set of cams meant to go with a supercharger. So you can always do one then add the other later too.

D.O.B Manifold, GT500 Fuel System, GT500 SC, Bassani Exhaust

SOS Dual Pillar Pod, Aeroforce & Roush Gauges
post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-20-2012

Here is a video of our non intercooled V3 setup with a set of our Detroit rocker S/C grind cams, 4.10 gears, and Pypes LT headers. Impressive #'s for the setup!

Vortech V3 Brenspeed Package 2005-10 Mustang GT - YouTube
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-20-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice

I'm kind of for either or. The sound is probably what I'm after a little more just for enjoyment. Im going to be only able to afford one at the moment. And I currently have JBA axlebacks which are loud enough for me currently. I also have 3.73s, udp, cai, and of course sct programmer.
SheizaSoSay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenspeed View Post
Here is a video of our non intercooled V3 setup with a set of our Detroit rocker S/C grind cams, 4.10 gears, and Pypes LT headers. Impressive #'s for the setup!

Vortech V3 Brenspeed Package 2005-10 Mustang GT - YouTube

And then the 2nd run looses 50rwhp and the 3rd run looses another 50rwhp......
Why would you put a set of longtubes and cams on a car before an intercooler? Unless there is E85 gas or methanol in the mix that blower is gonna take a hit in the power.

Honestly its not as bad as you think it might be, you can see back to back runs it loses 13rwhp and that was in 85 degree weather. Centri's heat soak a lot less than positive displacement superchargers, so you can get by without an intercooler at lower boost levels. The long tube headers and camshafts were on the car beforehand and this customer is a car show guy, so he really wasnt after HP goals, but was definitely happy with the results.
post #13 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-20-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice

I'd have heat soak issues living lower Alabama, but winter is coming up and its not like there are any tracks around, so heat soak isn't too high until spring probably if I do decide to supercharge. I know its hard to get a cam with a good grind for the s197 without daily driveability , does any one have any cams in specific to look up? I spend a decent amount of time researching trying to find more info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotaHybrid View Post
I'd have heat soak issues living lower Alabama, but winter is coming up and its not like there are any tracks around, so heat soak isn't too high until spring probably if I do decide to supercharge. I know its hard to get a cam with a good grind for the s197 without daily driveability , does any one have any cams in specific to look up? I spend a decent amount of time researching trying to find more info.
Honestly heat soak isnt really all that bad unless its really hot and humid out or you are doing hot laps in the car. We have customers running this kit in all types of climates and havent had any issues. Intercooled is definitely the way to go, but for the money this setup is hard to beat. As far as camshafts go, take a look at our Detroit Rocker Cams. They offer great drivability, a nice lopey sound, and are also a no spring required camshaft so the installation is easy as well. Here is a link to them on our website with some video's. Brenspeed Detroit Rocker Naturally Aspirated Mustang GT 2005-2010 *Brenspeed Favorite*

Thanks,
Chandler
post #15 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-20-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Yeah that would probably be the cam I would get, would new springs not help at all? I'm currently at 63k miles. How effective is alcohol injection compared to getting an intercooler for the vortech or is it possible?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page