How do you remove the battery in a 2007 GT? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-20-2012 Thread Starter
Rookie

How do you remove the battery in a 2007 GT?

I can not even figure it out I've removed the 3 inch bolt that holds the handle down, but I have no idea how to disconnect the negative or positive. If someone can please help and dumb down the directions as much as possible

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-20-2012
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Screwdriver? Pliers?

Just look at the connector, and grab the right tool.

2009 Mustang GT Premium: Grabber Orange with custom black paint | 5 Speed Manual | 3.73 Gears | Custom CarFX Tune | Steeda Cold Air Intake | Steeda Axle Back Exhaust | Push To Start | Hurst Competition Plus Short Shifter | Rear Window Louvers | Window Tint | 8-inch Shorty Antenna | Parnelli Jones Race Number | ELEANOR Style Honeycomb Grille | ELEANOR Style Quarter Window Louvers | ELEANOR Vanity Plate
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-20-2012

There's a nut on it you have to loosen on each to remove the terminals....

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-20-2012 Thread Starter
Rookie

There's not. I compared my Mazda to my Mustang and the batteries are completely different. On the Mazda you just loosen a bolt and you can take the clamp off. On the mustang theres not a clamp. How do you do this?

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-20-2012

Post a pic. My OEM terminal ends were secured to the battery posts with an 8 MM (IIRC. Battery is now in the trunk) nut and bolt.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-20-2012
Apprentice

You wil need a small puller. Put the center on the post and grab the sides. Found out the hard way. Couldn't get my daughter's terminal's off her '06 with a wrench and spreading the terminal with a screwdriver blade. My battery died 2 weeks ago away from the house on my '05. Came off with a puller.

'69 Mustang Fastback 250 I-6/Auto, '77 Mustang II Hardtop 2.8L V6 4spd, '65 Hardtop 302 3spd, '82 GT 5.0L 4spd, '93 Triple White Limited Edition LX Convertible 5.0L 5spd (1 of 444...ex-wife still has ), '93 Hatchback 5.0L 5spd ( gave to nephew... still has), 7 years without a Mustang while daughters driving/ in college, now 2005 Torch Red coupe 4.0L 5spd. Younger daughter has 2006 Torch Red convertible 4.0L Auto...bought same month March 2010..
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-20-2012
GT Member
S197 Member

Always remove the negative (-)cable first because that is the ground to the metal of the car.That way it won't hurt if you short the positive(+)cable to the chassis of the car.When putting back on,put the positive back on first and then the neg.

2006 Gt Premium coupe,automatic,white with red Shelby stripes,18 in.wheels,seq lites,plem. cover,Rouse hood scoop and flowmasters,Steeda strut brace,Steeda polished stainless fuse and radiator covers,rear camera(Boyo tag cam)thru Crimestopper rear mirror.Ford molded mud flaps,Silverhorse polished billet fuel door,and chrome console trim.Headlight Splitters.American Muscle Raxiom 2010 taillights.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-21-2012
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

I looked at my 2009 GT last night when I got home from work -- the terminal connections look exactly like they do on every other car I've ever owned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
There's a nut on it you have to loosen on each to remove the terminals....
As [email protected] said, just loosen the little nut with a screwdriver or pliers, and the connection will become loose enough to pull off the battery terminal.

Post a photo if I'm wrong. I would be interested to see a battery terminal connector without that nut...

2009 Mustang GT Premium: Grabber Orange with custom black paint | 5 Speed Manual | 3.73 Gears | Custom CarFX Tune | Steeda Cold Air Intake | Steeda Axle Back Exhaust | Push To Start | Hurst Competition Plus Short Shifter | Rear Window Louvers | Window Tint | 8-inch Shorty Antenna | Parnelli Jones Race Number | ELEANOR Style Honeycomb Grille | ELEANOR Style Quarter Window Louvers | ELEANOR Vanity Plate
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-22-2012
GT Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

I took mine off a few months ago. The use an 8mm wrench on the terminals. I didn't need a puller, they just came off. I may have spread them apart just a little with a screwdriver, but it wasn't particularly hard to remove them.

2008 Mustang GT Deluxe, Black, Manual Transmission, Black Cloth Interior
Show: Katzkin Leather Interior, Matte Black 10" Stripes, NXT Step Performance Axlebacks, Pypes M80 Mufflers (mid mounted), CDC Sequential Tail Lights, 14" Shorty Antenna, Ford OEM Plenum Cover, Ford Semigloss Black Painted Valve Covers, Leather Wrapped OEM Steering Wheel
Go: Airaid Race CAI, BAMA Tune, J&M Lower Control Arms, JLT Oil Separator
Coming Soon: Motive 4.10 gears
Rookie
S197 Member

Cool

...swaped out my bad battery yesterday, the negative clamb would´nt come off easy, I had to use WD40 and a 90 degree screwdriver to pull it from the terminal. The plus clamp was a snap they come off really easy.

Vialle liquid propane injection, JLT series II CAI with Brenspeed tune, SCT X3, 3.55 gears, J&M extreme joint lca´s, Magnaflow axlebacks, FRPP rear end girdle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page