Battery/Alternator Issues - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-20-2012 Thread Starter
Rookie

Battery/Alternator Issues

I recently changed the battery on my 2007 Mustang and after I installed it the car wouldn't remain running unless it was sitting still in neutral. Once you pulled up to a stop with the clutch engaged the car would die. Could this be the alternator?

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-21-2012
ski
GT Member
S197 Member

The ECU has to re-learn the idle strategy whenever the battery is replaced or disconnected. The erratic idle normally disappears after driving 20-50 miles. There's also a procedure in the battery maintenance section of the owner's manual that may expedite the re-learning process.

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-22-2012
Rookie

Could be the alternator. How many miles does it have? I have an automatic and it was doing the same thing after a fresh battery. It would almost hesitate at stop and goes. Took it to O Reillys and they checked it with machine and there was barely enough power from the car to print out the report lol. He said yep, alternator was going. Happened at about 55k miles which I thought was early but he said no it's common. Ordered new one off American Muscle, easy install after belt is off and it runs great!

2006 Mustang GT Premium. Bullitt Inspired

4.10s, Ford Racing Shorty Headers, Custom X-Pipe w/ High Flow Cats, Bullitt Mufflers (off an 08') Ford Racing 62mm TB, K&N CAI, Predator Tuner w/Custom Tunes, Steeda Pulleys, Roush Scoop and Louvers (won in a poker game!), Eleanor Grill, 8K HIDs, Smoke Turn Signal Housings, Side Markers, Taillights, CDC Blackout Panel, "Power by Ford" Shelby Emblems, Ford Racing Lowering Springs 1", 18" '10 Premium Wheels

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-22-2012 Thread Starter
Rookie

It's at 130,000 miles. The re-learning process I've been told about before, but when I changed the battery the previous time it never re-learned the idling. Before the battery was changed it would surge to 1500 drop to 250. It still does that someone said something about a throttle body, but at this point I'm fixing to take it to a local mechanic and just have him tell me everything that's wrong and I'll fix it myself.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-22-2012
PONY Member
S197 Member

I'd try the idle process first - it's free. It's detailed in the manual as mentioned. A dirty throttle body is cheap/easy to fix as well. Might save you some $$ before taking it to a mechanic.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-23-2012
ski
GT Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by everton992000 View Post
Before the battery was changed it would surge to 1500 drop to 250.
Unfortunately, you never mentioned that fact in your initial post, and I'm not a mind reader. Hence, my suggestion regarding the idle re-learning process was based on your lone input where you stated "...after I installed it(battery) the car wouldn't remain running unless it was sitting still in neutral."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page