Engine mods to support supercharger? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-22-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Engine mods to support supercharger?

I've been getting closer and closer to my goal of getting a supercharger. And I've been putting alot of thought into what I want the car to ultimately be. But, I'm going to have a shop be doing alot of install on my car. So I'm looking at the big picture that if I go with a supercharger first then down the road having to pay for the extra labor of taking the supercharger off to forge and upgrade the internals.

First and foremost my pony in an automatic. So I'm definitely gonna need some insight on what to upgrade my transmission too. What I want out of my car is to have low end torque so it's more fun to drive around when not racing. So I've decided on either a Kennebell 2.6 or a Whipple w140ax. Actually leaning towards Kennebell as the shop closest to me is more familiar with them than whipple. I would want to ultimately make 600 rwhp. So with that in mind I'm thinking I'll need alot of work for my pony to handle that kind of power.

Also, something to question is how streetable will my car be at that point? I'd still like to drive it around during the summer. Though more as a weekend car and less of a daily driver.

I know forging the bottom end is gonna be a big part of the upgrade. Though I'd like to know does getting a stroker kit for my engine help? And if so will I need a new block all together or is the stock motor useable? For that matter is the stock block even strong enough for my goals?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-22-2012

Get the 2.8L Kenne Bell. It will make the power without having to spin it as hard as the smaller blowers. I stroked my motor and am happy with it but there are race teams making over 2,000hp with stock bore and stroke. Your stock block can be machined and will be more than adequate for your goals.

I have a 5 spd and a 6 spd sitting on the garage floor so I'm not much for autos.

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-22-2012
Apprentice

Your a/t will not last long with that kind of rwhp unless you never really get on it much, there are some exceptions which people will probably chime in with, but alot have had there trans. go with 450 rwhp including me. The tq. convertor will also have to be upgraded, the rear suspesion will need to be upgraded, you will also need to run drag radials and those can be dangerous in the rain.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-22-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Get the 2.8L Kenne Bell. It will make the power without having to spin it as hard as the smaller blowers. I stroked my motor and am happy with it but there are race teams making over 2,000hp with stock bore and stroke. Your stock block can be machined and will be more than adequate for your goals.

I have a 5 spd and a 6 spd sitting on the garage floor so I'm not much for autos.
Aaaah the Mammoth. Just thinking about that blower makes me drool. Though I'm curious to hear the 2.6L would have to spin hard for 600 rwhp.

Wow. Not that I'd have the money to build such a beast but, that is great news. Honestly didn't think the stock blocks were so strong. So a good set of forged internals are more or less what I'd need?

Don't hate my choice of transmission.
Too attached to the car to swap if for a manual one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfr865 View Post
Your a/t will not last long with that kind of rwhp unless you never really get on it much, there are some exceptions which people will probably chime in with, but alot have had there trans. go with 450 rwhp including me. The tq. convertor will also have to be upgraded, the rear suspesion will need to be upgraded, you will also need to run drag radials and those can be dangerous in the rain.
Well aware my transmission won't last. Hence why I'd build it up before. Basically, I've decided to build the car up first then go F/I. Mainly because I'm gonna have a shop do all the work.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-23-2012
GT Member

Are you really willing to spend 20k for what you want? Have you driven a 450rwhp car? You can do that for $3500. Yes it does cost and extra $17500 to get another 150rwhp. Is that really worth it to you? I am not judging only know what you're doing. It is a good example of the Law Of Diminishing Returns.

Alex
2010 GTRR in 5.0 Magazine [http://www.mustangandfords.com/featured-vehicles/m5lp-1212-2010-ford-mustang-gt-rr-total-fabrication/viewall.html]

2015 White SC, PP, etc....

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-23-2012
PONY Member

Sell your car and buy a used gt500.

2007 Shelby GT black with silver stripes, 4.10 rear end, kooks LT headers and catted x-pipe,SSS terminator mufflers, LCA, adj UCA,adj panhard bar, 18" cobra r chrome rims, Baer Decelerotors front and rear with chrome braided brake lines.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-23-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 908ssp View Post
Are you really willing to spend 20k for what you want? Have you driven a 450rwhp car? You can do that for $3500. Yes it does cost and extra $17500 to get another 150rwhp. Is that really worth it to you? I am not judging only know what you're doing. It is a good example of the Law Of Diminishing Returns.
Overtime? Yes. Though I'm gonna admit I didn't realize it would cost that much. I was expecting around $15,000. I can assume you can break the price down some so I have a better idea of what it costs and the parts I'll need?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chump View Post
Sell your car and buy a used gt500.
Thought about it. Didn't work for me. Besides I'd start modding that too and want 800-1000 rwhp.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-23-2012
MACH I Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

The car can be streetable depending on the tuner. 908SSP is correct on the fact that it gets expencive fast due to all the unexpected costs. You will have to upgrade your fuel system, rearend, brakes, basically anything that has to do with the power train. I'm on my 2nd built rear end and they aren't cheap. He is also correct about the fact that 450rwhp can be a handfull. Don't forget you will have to feed that thing when you're done and trust me it will eat through a tank of gas quickly.

Forged bottom end, Ported heads, Saleen super charger, 2.8 blower pulley/15psi, Dual stage water to air intercooler, AFCO heat exchanger, battery relocated, Twin GT500 fuel pumps, T-56 trans, Aluminum flywheel, Aluminum driveshaft, 3.73 rear gears, Eaton TruTrac Diff, TA Performance rear end girdle, Racecraft suspension system, UCA, LCA, panhard bar, 15" slotted front rotors w/ 6 piston calipers, Carbon Fiber front splitter/rear diffuser, and bunch of other stuff
RWHP/RWTQ is adequate
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-23-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terreos View Post
Aaaah the Mammoth. Just thinking about that blower makes me drool. Though I'm curious to hear the 2.6L would have to spin hard for 600 rwhp.
You are going to have to put a smaller snout pulley or find a 10 rib kit and put a larger lower on it to spin it harder to make more boost to achieve 600rwhp. That boost and blower speed makes a lot of heat.ma larger blower can make the same post at slower speeds. Not to mention it has the Mammoth inlet. Positive displacement lowers are very sensitive to inlet restricitions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terreos View Post
Overtime? Yes. Though I'm gonna admit I didn't realize it would cost that much. I was expecting around $15,000. I can assume you can break the price down some so I have a better idea of what it costs and the parts I'll need?
Do some searching. It's a very long list from machine work to gaskets and fasteners. And that's just the engine. You still need to address fuel delivery, cooling, transmission, rear end, suspension, etc.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-23-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redruder View Post
The car can be streetable depending on the tuner. 908SSP is correct on the fact that it gets expencive fast due to all the unexpected costs. You will have to upgrade your fuel system, rearend, brakes, basically anything that has to do with the power train. I'm on my 2nd built rear end and they aren't cheap. He is also correct about the fact that 450rwhp can be a handfull. Don't forget you will have to feed that thing when you're done and trust me it will eat through a tank of gas quickly.
Yikes! I don't like the can be statement. Definitely want the car to still to be streetable. If it's honestly such a risk I'm gonna consider taking my final goal down a notch. But, from what I'm learning I might have had to the right idea from the start in getting the blower first and having it tuned for a safe boost on the stock motor. Gas won't be a huge issue. I live 4 miles from work. :shiny:

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
You are going to have to put a smaller snout pulley or find a 10 rib kit and put a larger lower on it to spin it harder to make more boost to achieve 600rwhp. That boost and blower speed makes a lot of heat.ma larger blower can make the same post at slower speeds. Not to mention it has the Mammoth inlet. Positive displacement lowers are very sensitive to inlet restricitions.

Do some searching. It's a very long list from machine work to gaskets and fasteners. And that's just the engine. You still need to address fuel delivery, cooling, transmission, rear end, suspension, etc.
Leaning more and more towards getting the blower first and building up from that point. This really does sound like something I want to invest in. Just seems it'll be a few more years before I can get to my goal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page