injectors ticking, power loss - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-26-2012 Thread Starter
Rookie

injectors ticking, power loss

Hello,
I have a 05 mustang gt and I am gettin a loud ticking sound from the injectors and it seems once the car warms up and get to operating temperatures the ticking it loud. I know the ticking is from the injectors because I bought a thesascope and listened in on the heads, where the cam phaser is located and it was quiet, when I put it on the injectors it was a loud ticking sound. And once the car warms up the power tends to come and goes but a lot weaker when hot.

I was thinking about buying new 39# cobra injectors to replace these, any advice would help. Thanks a lot

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-26-2012
GT Member

Question

When was the last time you replaced the fuel filter?
Not to say this gets rid of the tick but will help in the long run if you replace the injectors.

2nd what MODS do you have ? The 39 injectors will run at lower preasure if you just have a stock fuel pump or you don't have a Boost A Pump same effect. The stock injectors are good up to something like 360+ RWHP.

Now with that said I had a Tick when I was stock running 87 octane.
After Filter Change and a CAI and 93Tune from Brenspeed and have changed the filter 2 times 1 time at 20,000 miles and again at 37,000 a little sooner than 40,000. I have not had this excessive problem.

I don't know if the octane the tune or filter also the Brisk Spark Plugs made the difference? but it has what I would call normal.
It raised questions for me when my was doing it and never got a clear cut reason.

T Wayne 2006 GT/P

post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-26-2012 Thread Starter
Rookie

the mods I have on the car are, a bbk cold air intake and flowmaster 40's axle backs and a diablo 91 oct. tune. now if I put on the 39# cobra injectors your saying it will run on lower pressure is that stock pressure? like will it run like a stock injector? because I would like to do more upgrades in the future and if I am getting injectors I would like to get the ones I will need later on aswell.

and as far as the fuel filter I just bought the car about 4 weeks ago and I did a oil change with full synthenic 5w20 and a ford racing oil filter. the fuel filter i have not replaced. But I will definitely replace it with the new injectors.

another input, the reason why I wanted the 39# is because I do plan on supercharging it with a whipple charger. and I was told they can handle up to 600hp on the cobra injectors. and I also found them for a great price.

thanks again for you input, its really helping out.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-26-2012
GT Member

For Now

The 39 injectors with a SC is needed as you will need the increase in fuel but with that said a fuel pump upgrade or a Kenne Bell Boost A Pump to speed up the stock fuel pump to feed the the injectors.
So for now the 39 injectors will not benifit you wit the current MODS in fact it may throw it out of balance.
So maybe start out with the fuel filter.

T Wayne
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-26-2012 Thread Starter
Rookie

So if I put in a boost a pump with the 39# on my setup you think it would work oki then? like I will start with the fuel filter first like you said, but the ticking coming from the injectors is really loud. If i can make the 39# work great with a boost a pump then its a go for me.

What do you think?
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-27-2012
GT Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

I think you need a tune when upgrading injectors, can you afford a tuner as well?

'05 GT
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-27-2012 Thread Starter
Rookie

I already have a tuner, I have a diablo sport predator. So you think I would be able do the injectors and just tune it and it will be good?
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-27-2012

I wouldnt really recommend running the 39lb injectors on a stock car. If you think its the injectors just go with a set of stock replacements. We have some in stock if you are interested give us a call at 574.594.9559

Thanks,
Chandler
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-27-2012 Thread Starter
Rookie

how many #'s are the stock injectors? Also which spark Plugs are the best to go with?
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-27-2012 Thread Starter
Rookie

How many #'s are the stock injectors? and also what are the best spark plugs to use on these cars?

Stock injectors are 24#. I really like the one piece Brisk 3VR17s plugs for a naturally aspirated 05-mid 08 car. Brisk 3VR17YS Stock Heat Range Replacement Spark Plugs Mustang (05-mid 08)
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-27-2012 Thread Starter
Rookie

thanks again to all for your input, I will first begin with changing the fuel filter and running a nice cleaner/conditioner through the injectors and see what happens.

also I will do a nice tune up, change in new plugs and also have some new dragonfire ignition coils. see what happens with more spark.

if its still no change I will then go with some new injectors.

Thanks again.
GT Member

Sorry the folks at Brenspeed already corrected me. 24's stock not 27's. I would call Brenspeed they may have some stock injectors and a set of 8 was around 100 bucks. They were take off's on low mile cars. Like they said as well as I did it will not help with 39's at this time.

T Wayne
Apprentice

Garage
If I where you I would pass on the aftermarket coils.
GT Member

Cops

No need for them at this point, and the stock units if not throwing a code will support any MOD to a point with a SC . I can see it on a totally built inside and out N/A. I would save your money on not buying the COP'S now.

T Wayne

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page