possible punishment for off road x pipe - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-26-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice

possible punishment for off road x pipe

What's the worst possible punishment for getting caught with an off road x pipe on the street? Any fines? If so how much? Does anyone have any experience with that? Please share if so... How could I even get caught with one in the first place? Thank you all for your responses I greatly appreciate it... Thank you all

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-26-2012
GT Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

You'd get a small fine like $50-$100 and/or an order to fix the issue by a certain time. Once the issue is fixed and written off.... you can just go back to catless again until you get caught again. I have driven around with straight downpipe from a turbo to straight headers on the v8 and never gotten pulled over simply for exhaust. To get "caught" you would need to be revving obnoxiously in areas that you obviously should not be revving at such as neighborhoods and what not or if you got pulled over for speeding or something else they might decide to be a ***** and write you up for that as well. Also, if you state does emissions testing, they more than likely will not pass you without cats........That's about it though. I've had "illegal" exhaust for the past 7 years and nothing has happened and i live in a state with strict emissions...

2006 V6 Pony Package Premium -Mods: 61mm Powerhouse Turbo and Intercooler, Evolution Dyno Tune(Jon Lund), Steeda Performance Shorty Headers.
Current Numbers:
350 rwhp/420 torque @ 8.3 psi (low boost)
415 rwhp/470 torque @12 psi Car died 6/23/09
New Set Up: 4.6 3v With Manual Trans, Bolt Ons
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-26-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Hey thanks a lot man... I just want to get informed on all of this first you know? So yea hopefully I won't get caught either, and yea I don't go revving around all the place... If I get pulled over for a traffic error, could they also write me up for the off road x pipe? I mean the cop would have to get underneath my car to see it though

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-26-2012
Apprentice

You are violating state and federal laws, so the possible worst case punishments include much larger fines and (rarely) jail time. I personally do not endorse using O/R parts but not here to preach. Selling a car with tampered emissions devices is risky - in Texas the fine can be up to $25,000. The EPA website can provide all the info you want, and more than enough to give you a headache.

Most courts will likely fine you and make you show proof that you have corrected the emissions control system. Get caught again and I doubt the judge will be very tolerant - with computerized priors available in law enforcement vehicles, that is not a far-fetched possibility if you offend again. Why risk it for a few HP on a planet we all share? My 2 cents.

2011 GT Premium Brembo ("Spirit"), Kona/red, 1.5" drop, Goodridge SS brake lines, 3.73's, LPW Ultra diff cover, HID, JLT oil catch can, FRPP ProCal II w. Airaid, FRPP X-pipe, Roush axlebacks, Boss LS tranny cooler, Boss oil cooler, Boss radiator, Torsen T2-R; FRPP "K" springs, struts, shocks, mounts, anti-rollbars, upper strut brace, poly bushings; Barton shifter/MkII bracket, CG-Lock, Grabber knob, silver Forgestar CF5 19x9 35mm offset, AE aluminum driveshaft
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-26-2012
GT Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr07GTCS View Post
Hey thanks a lot man... I just want to get informed on all of this first you know? So yea hopefully I won't get caught either, and yea I don't go revving around all the place... If I get pulled over for a traffic error, could they also write me up for the off road x pipe? I mean the cop would have to get underneath my car to see it though
They COULD write you up but like you said, the cop would have to see that. I have been pulled over running straight down pipe (LOUD AS HELL) for speeding and the cop did not care. The only time i have seen a cop do anything about this was on imports..... it's kind of an odd thing and im not trying to import bash but since imports normally have the 4 in. or more exhaust, it normally catches a cops attention and I have seen them take a mirror at the end of a long extension rod to check it out. Again the fines are minimal. I guess you could take what "roadrage" says as a word of caution not to sell your car that way but for actually driving it, there is no way you're going to get a large fine.

If you're really really really worried about all of this and just want the sound from time to time. I would look into electronic cut-outs. My father has them on his car. You push a button and a butterfly like valve opens and has your car running straight headers. If a cop pulls you over, push the button and he can't do anything because your exhaust is legal

2006 V6 Pony Package Premium -Mods: 61mm Powerhouse Turbo and Intercooler, Evolution Dyno Tune(Jon Lund), Steeda Performance Shorty Headers.
Current Numbers:
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-28-2012
PONY Member

Lol.. anyone really know someone that got a fine for it (other than in California)? Jail... in Texas? REALLY... Hell, half the clunker farm trucks exhaust fell off years ago lol (I grew up there). The guy with the fart cans is far louder than my o/r and LT exhaust. I know plenty of cops. I could show them a converter and they would not know what the hell it was even if I told them lol. Highway Patrol different cat, but you are shut down way before they get out anyway .

You really pissed them off to get a ticket for it IMO. More than likely going to be a "tack-on" to your other charges as they haul you away for something more serious lol! PS, don't call them a "*&[email protected]#^$" when they hand you that ticket for the window tint lol.

As far as the post above; yeah, I suppose it is a "risk" you take by running them. Atleast your stripes will match your car...bwahhhaahhaaa. Whatever. Sick of the green sheit. I "share" the planet with the jackasses in China, Middle East, South America etc (worst polluters are the idiot politicians in California).. They pollute the crap out of our planet. Yes, the politicians green crap causes far more pollution in the world than they want to admit. But darnit, Walmart can stock the shelves with crap that lasts a whole 5 minutes because we buy it. As far as that goes, we get most of our oil from places that give 2 sheits about the environment. Tell me we can't drill our own because the environment.. Who is going to do a better, cleaner job? If they only pollute twice as much during the process and just say we use 50% of all the oil.. I fail to see the benefit here except empty our wallets and have our President bowing to foreign leaders. If we somehow were to cut our consumption by HALF, how freggin green is it to use their oil? I support the **** out of o/r stuff. Everyone else can suck a prius..

BTW.. I LOVE LEADED FUEL!!!!!! Can't run that with cats either HAHAHA GREEN GEEKS!

DOB manifold, Ported Supercharger, Forged shortblock built by ME, CP, Kellogg, Manley, ARP, IW 10% OD 8-rib, Comp 127350, TFS adjustable crank gears, Livernoise lockouts, ID1000, GT500 pumps, JLT CF 110, L&M 72 + Elbow, , Prothane, Meziere, AFCO dual fans, Custom trunk IC tank, PI tripple disc, TCI shaft/servos, JDM cooler, MSD 2Step, Taylor, SCT, Autometer, Shaker1000, BBK LT's + O/R X, FRPP 3.73, BMR UCA,LCA,PH, Steeda springs, custom 6pt molly bar.. tons more. Pissed accountant. LITO TUNED
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-28-2012
Apprentice
S197 Member

Dude my buddy and I both used to run Long tubes, catless X on our s197's WHICH ARE loud and we NEVER got pulled over for that and we hauled ass everywhere lol

'07 GT

"Horse power gets you there, torque gets you there, FASTER"

- Roger
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-28-2012
PONY Member

Living in Wisconsin with Harley's everywhere I can say that 90% of those bikes are louder than most cars. They would have to start pulling over bikes left and right.

I think that if you were speeding or not wearing a seat belt and they pulled you over for that they may tack on a noise violation but I doubt unless your being stupid about it you probably won't get pulled over.

D.O.B Manifold, GT500 Fuel System, GT500 SC, Bassani Exhaust

SOS Dual Pillar Pod, Aeroforce & Roush Gauges
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-28-2012
PONY Member

OP it would depend on state law what would happen. I have never heard of anyone getting a ticket for removing emissions equipment in New Jersey. The police are not trained in what to look for and we don't need no stinking sticker signed by an aging hippie like they do in California.

New Jersey will fail a car for no cats but I never heard of anyone being fined. If one did this to make money on other people's cars there would be fines though.

This is the federal law, it really only applies to dealers and doesn't require any testing of after market parts only that the person installing them believes they won't alter the emissions. Of course by calling a part "off road" it can be installed by anyone as the car will be used only on a track or if the car is being tested and will be restored after the test. :hihi:

I'm not a lawyer I just play one on the Interweb.
Quote:
Following are: (1) 4/97 Clarifying note on the applicability of EPA "Memorandum 1A"
(2) Original 6/25/74 Memorandum 1A.

April 1997 Note Regarding Memorandum 1A From Cliff Tyree, USEPA, Office of Mobile Sources CAA REQUIREMENTS: AFTERMARKET CONVERSIONS

'No action with respect to any device or element of design referred to in paragraph (3) shall be treated as a prohibited act under that paragraph if (i) the action is for the purpose of repair or replacement of the device or element, or is a necessary and temporary procedure to repair or replace any other item and the device or element is replaced upon completion of the procedure
http://www.epa.gov/OMS/regs/fuels/cff/memo-1a.txt

2009 Mustang GT Deluxe, fake hood scoop, Ford Racing Bullitt cold air intake and tune, Hurst billet competition plus shifter.

PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crownaviation View Post
PS, don't call them a "*&[email protected]#^$" when they hand you that ticket for the window tint lol.
That is when they will walk to the back of your car and tell you you have a broken tale light as he hits it with a black jack.

What we have here is a failure to communicate.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	failure-to-communicate.jpg
Views:	473
Size:	17.7 KB
ID:	162768  

2009 Mustang GT Deluxe, fake hood scoop, Ford Racing Bullitt cold air intake and tune, Hurst billet competition plus shifter.

PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl_the_Pearl View Post
That is when they will walk to the back of your car and tell you you have a broken tale light as he hits it with a black jack.

What we have here is a failure to communicate.

DOB manifold, Ported Supercharger, Forged shortblock built by ME, CP, Kellogg, Manley, ARP, IW 10% OD 8-rib, Comp 127350, TFS adjustable crank gears, Livernoise lockouts, ID1000, GT500 pumps, JLT CF 110, L&M 72 + Elbow, , Prothane, Meziere, AFCO dual fans, Custom trunk IC tank, PI tripple disc, TCI shaft/servos, JDM cooler, MSD 2Step, Taylor, SCT, Autometer, Shaker1000, BBK LT's + O/R X, FRPP 3.73, BMR UCA,LCA,PH, Steeda springs, custom 6pt molly bar.. tons more. Pissed accountant. LITO TUNED
GT Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Summary... don't worry about it. You'll be fine.

Current Numbers:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
catalytic converter , off road x-pipe , punishment

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page