Ford Mustang Forum

Ford Mustang Forum (/forums/)
-   2005-2010 Mustang GT Tech (https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/2005-2010-mustang-gt-tech/)
-   -   2006 Mustang GT Shifts Poorly Misses Gears, will new linkage completely fix this? (https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/2005-2010-mustang-gt-tech/356145-2006-mustang-gt-shifts-poorly-misses-gears-will-new-linkage-completely-fix.html)

propstrike 08-28-2012 01:25 PM

2006 Mustang GT Shifts Poorly Misses Gears, will new linkage completely fix this?

I'm a new member. I've owned my 2006 Mustang GT 5 speed since new, it now has 10,000 miles on it. It has shifted poorly since the day I bought it. It's very easy to miss the 2nd to 3rd shift and almost impossible to downshift from 5th to 4th for passing. Hard acceleration makes it worse. I saw this hinted at in a car magazine before I bought but didn't pay much attention. I'm fully ready to admit it when I blow a shift but it ain't me, I've owned at least one stick shift car ever since I started driving in 1971 including plenty of muscle cars. There's never been a drop of any fluid on the floor under this car so it's not a fluid level issue and I don't beat the car. It's just the worst shifting car I've ever owned. I hoped it would get better with more miles, but it hasn't and now I'm going to either fix it or sell it. The car means a lot to me as my first two cars were a '68 notchback and '65 fastback Mustang (both sticks).

I started digging around on the internet yesterday and I see that the problem is most likely because Ford bolted the shifter to the body instead of the trans, so the linkage geometry changes under acceleration, that was stupid. It also makes me doubt that going to aftermarket linkage mounted the same way can fix the problem.

I'd like to hear if anyone has completely fixed this problem and with what brand of linkage. In particular is there an aftermarket linkage that bolts only to the trans and not to the body? I have changed plenty of clutches so I'm not worried about working on linkage.

Thanks to all and good luck with your cars.

Propstrike

SheizaSoSay 08-28-2012 01:32 PM

I'll give you this: With a normal working factory clutch, slave and shifter, the car will benefit greatly with the use of either prothane motor mounts or a brace like this View the V8 K-Member Brace with Engine Torque Limiters<br>Part # CHE7LA at http://www.cheperformance.com

desmo.lover 08-28-2012 07:46 PM

i'm sorry you're having these problems. I have a 2010 GT with 38THOUSAND miles on it, and most are pretty hard miles. The car shifts really notchy in the cold mornings but after its warm, its buttah.. Now, i HAVE had issues with WFO 3rd-4th gear shifts, while pre-loading 3rd at WFO, hard slotting it into 4th, sometimes hits second.

[email protected] 08-28-2012 08:18 PM

I've got a crap shifting TR3650. I've tried two shifters, different fluid, prothane motor mounts, lowered motor, Che torque limiters, FRPP stainless braided clutch line, new clutch, flywheel, blah, blah, blah...

You want to know the fix....T-56 Magnum XL!

JBert 08-28-2012 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by desmo.lover (Post 3186003)
. . . while pre-loading 3rd at WFO, hard slotting it into 4th, sometimes hits second.

wow that's kinda scary, I have the normal 2-3 missed shift every now and then, no big deal, but getting 2nd when you want 4th could be a big problem . . . I wonder how many times can you do that before it goes boom?

SheizaSoSay 08-28-2012 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by [email protected] (Post 3186036)
I've got a crap shifting TR3650. I've tried two shifters, different fluid, prothane motor mounts, lowered motor, Che torque limiters, FRPP stainless braided clutch line, new clutch, flywheel, blah, blah, blah...

You also had a plethora of torque going through that tranny. I would take that T-56 so quick....but I aint gots the money. The T3650 leaves a lot to be desired. Who was it?...KDT, he sent his off to Liberty Transmission and they put like polished forks and bronze this and that. He was like "BUTTER" after the mods, but that isn't cheap either. About the best results you can get with the T3650 in order from cheapest to most expensive is motor mounts, brace, rebuild it, replace it.

Hot 05 GT Conv 08-28-2012 11:05 PM

I put a Steeda Tri-ax shifter in my 05. I have to WANT 2nd gear, whether I'm going up or down... Never miss 4th coming back from 5th. It's not cheap, but it works for me...

propstrike 08-29-2012 11:47 AM

thanks

Thanks folks, I appreciate all the feedback!

Propstrike

:wavey

SteedaBrandon 08-30-2012 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hot 05 GT Conv (Post 3186305)
I put a Steeda Tri-ax shifter in my 05. I have to WANT 2nd gear, whether I'm going up or down... Never miss 4th coming back from 5th. It's not cheap, but it works for me...

Same for me. (and I've had a Tri-Ax in mine much longer than I've worked here)

Let me know if I can help you with that. :bigthumbsup

CBMAMF5 08-30-2012 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by [email protected]n (Post 3186036)

Agree...100% 2nd to 3rd sucks in these cars.

propstrike 08-30-2012 09:58 PM

thanks again

Once more, thanks to all of you!

Propstrike

:bigthumbsup