Thoughts on this CAI - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-29-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Thoughts on this CAI

Ford Racing 85mm Cold Air Intake (05-09 GT)

After looking over most of the CAI's that are available I have narrowed it down to the Ford CAI. I think it looks the best and warranty wise its a good move or so im told. I would just like some other thoughts on this before I pull the trigger. The engine is basically a stock 4.6 with Bullitt axlebacks on it. I already spoke to a local tuner here in town that will dyno the set-up for me. So, im all ears....LOL

"Leave the gun....Take the Cannolis"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-30-2012
TunableInduction

Hi Ruffy,

The FRPP CAI is a nice looking CAI and is one of the only ones on the market CARB approved if you live in a state which reguires that.

However, your added rwhp & rwtorque comes from more air @ a larger then stock CAI & MAF (80mm) meter. The FRPP CAI is only 85mm. Most of your gain is going to come from the tune over this actual size CAI. I had the very same CAI on my 2005 GT, gained 24+/- hp dyno tuned. Before I knew about Tunable Induction I installed their '05-'10 GT 100mm intake/95mm maf meter CAI and gained 42 rwhp dyno tuned. You can get a larger CAI/MAF then 95 mm, but that's more air then your stock throttle body can pass so it's not really beneficial.

TI '05-'10 CAI, clear coat black or color matched to your car (intake & heat shield), multi-color filters:

Tunable Induction LLC The Original Mustang Cold Air Intake System is Now Partnered with Unique Tuning LLC The Carolinas #1 Source for Mustang And Dodge Performance Parts, Service And Dynojet Tuning Using Diablosport And SCT Tuning Software

Good Luck.

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-30-2012
PONY Member
S197 Member

I see you are in Jacksonville and it get hot there. The advantage of the FRPP intake is that it does not use any metal pipes or mounts for the MAF sensor. This minimizes heat soak. Also the shroud for the FRPP has the best seal to take air from the outside of the engine bay unlike some others.

If you want a bigger intake than an FRPP look are the Airrad race model. This too has a good filer shroud and a larger MAF housing. Roush uses Airraid

Sent from my Autoguide iPad app

2008 Metallic Alloy GT Convertible Premium
Show : black top| 18" bullitt polished wheels| CDC light bar and black billet replacement grilles | black/amber corner lights | GT500 rear spoiler| AH chin spoiler
Go:
FRPP CAI with StangHi tunes | Kooks LT's | FR500 axle back | Steeda Sport springs | Koni STR.t struts/shocks | J&M camber plates | UMI adj. panhard bar | LCA relocation brackets | GT500 LCA's | Hurst Billet shifter | 3.73 gear | FRPP axle girdle | Baer Rotors and Pads

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-30-2012
ski
GT Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunableInduction View Post
The FRPP CAI is only 85mm. Most of your gain is going to come from the tune over this actual size CAI. I had the very same CAI on my 2005 GT, gained 24+/- hp dyno tuned. Before I knew about Tunable Induction I installed their '05-'10 GT 100mm intake/95mm maf meter CAI and gained 42 rwhp dyno tuned.
Nice gain. Can you please post the dyno graphs for these 2 test runs? Thanks.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-30-2012
Apprentice

I have one and like for the same reason you like it, on the other hand it is only available with a paper element and no reuseable air filter available and replacements only available thru ford. however I did find a filter thru k/n with a little trimming and baking in the oven it fit nicely ( the wife was pissed for a few days oops)
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-31-2012
TunableInduction

Quote:
Originally Posted by ski View Post
Nice gain. Can you please post the dyno graphs for these 2 test runs? Thanks.
I don't have those dynos as they went with the car folder when sold a few years back. My 42+/- rwhp was w/TI CAI w/Diablio tuner/custom dynoed. In TI Dynos below, 1st dyno, is a similar '05 GT w/TI CAI and SCT tuner/dynoed @ 38.2 rwhp & 44 rwtorque.

Tunable Induction LLC The Original Mustang True Cold Air Intake System . Now Partnered with Unique Tuning LLC The Carolinas #1 Source for Mustang & Dodge Performance Parts, Service And Dynojet Tuning Using Diablosport And SCT Tuning Software
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-31-2012
ski
GT Member
S197 Member

Did the dyno tuned 100 mm TI CAI have a 42 rwhp peak gain, or max gain over stock?
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-31-2012
Site Sponsor
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruffy07 View Post
Ford Racing 85mm Cold Air Intake (05-09 GT)

After looking over most of the CAI's that are available I have narrowed it down to the Ford CAI. I think it looks the best and warranty wise its a good move or so im told. I would just like some other thoughts on this before I pull the trigger. The engine is basically a stock 4.6 with Bullitt axlebacks on it. I already spoke to a local tuner here in town that will dyno the set-up for me. So, im all ears....LOL
Have you seen our Steeda CAI? Steeda 2005-09 Mustang GT Cold Air Intake - Made in the USA 555-3131 555-3139 555-3120

We've seen between 30-35 HP and 25-30 ft/lbs TQ at the wheels with our CAI and tune. Independent test results have proven gains of over 4 HP and 5 ft/lbs of Torque over the entire RPM range of the so called 'leading brands'. We have a larger MAF housing and inlet tube along with a high-flow lifetime oiled air filter to increase airflow.

It's made in the USA and features a lifetime warranty. Let me know if I can help you with that.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-01-2012
TunableInduction

Quote:
Originally Posted by ski View Post
Did the dyno tuned 100 mm TI CAI have a 42 rwhp peak gain, or max gain over stock?
Max Gain, peak gain is alway less. I do not remember what that was. You could look at that chart attached earlier and do the % math, it would be close.
ski
GT Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunableInduction View Post
Max Gain, peak gain is alway less. I do not remember what that was. You could look at that chart attached earlier and do the % math, it would be close.
Thanks for the clarification, since your initial post didn't specify if the 42 hp gain was max or peak-to-peak.
MACH I Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

JLT has a 110mm CAI (JLT3) that's made entirely of a plstic if heatsoak is a concern.

Forged bottom end, Ported heads, Saleen super charger, 2.8 blower pulley/15psi, Dual stage water to air intercooler, AFCO heat exchanger, battery relocated, Twin GT500 fuel pumps, T-56 trans, Aluminum flywheel, Aluminum driveshaft, 3.73 rear gears, Eaton TruTrac Diff, TA Performance rear end girdle, Racecraft suspension system, UCA, LCA, panhard bar, 15" slotted front rotors w/ 6 piston calipers, Carbon Fiber front splitter/rear diffuser, and bunch of other stuff
RWHP/RWTQ is adequate
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page