Exhaust Setup(yes another exhaust thread) - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-04-2012 Thread Starter
GT Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Exhaust Setup(yes another exhaust thread)

I know how to use the search function and youtube but im simply not finding many results for what I'm looking for. I just purchased BBK Longtubes with an O/R X pipe and am in need of some axle-backs..... I was looking at pypes violators for the price but I am trying to cut down on some of the rasp associated with the X pipe and from what i have heard, some of the videos sound amazing and others sound like the violators give somewhat of a tin type sound... kind of makes the tone too high pitched but I can't tell if it's the camera or the muffler.

Does anyone have Long tubes and an O/R X pipe that can offer their suggestion for a good sounding axleback?

2006 V6 Pony Package Premium -Mods: 61mm Powerhouse Turbo and Intercooler, Evolution Dyno Tune(Jon Lund), Steeda Performance Shorty Headers.
Current Numbers:
350 rwhp/420 torque @ 8.3 psi (low boost)
415 rwhp/470 torque @12 psi Car died 6/23/09
New Set Up: 4.6 3v With Manual Trans, Bolt Ons
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-04-2012
Apprentice

Don't get pypes, I hate them personally. I would recommend stingers or maybe bassani axlebacks but you say you're looking for a bit cheaper prices. How loud do you want it?

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-04-2012 Thread Starter
GT Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotaHybrid View Post
Don't get pypes, I hate them personally. I would recommend stingers or maybe bassani axlebacks but you say you're looking for a bit cheaper prices. How loud do you want it?
I like loud but not completely ridiculous. For example, I would not consider SLP Loudmouths or other muffler delete options because essentially I'd be almost running straight headers.

As for the price range, if I need to spend the big money to get a good sound, I'm willing to do so but $700 is a bit much for axlebacks

2006 V6 Pony Package Premium -Mods: 61mm Powerhouse Turbo and Intercooler, Evolution Dyno Tune(Jon Lund), Steeda Performance Shorty Headers.
Current Numbers:
350 rwhp/420 torque @ 8.3 psi (low boost)
415 rwhp/470 torque @12 psi Car died 6/23/09
New Set Up: 4.6 3v With Manual Trans, Bolt Ons

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-04-2012
GT Member

I would suggest a mid-muffler setup. I've heard quite a few and they all sound very good. I know some people down on Pypes, but the M80s do sound pretty good IMO.

Sent from the "Angry 6er" via Tapatalk
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-04-2012
BOSS Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstafford1 View Post
I would suggest a mid-muffler setup. I've heard quite a few and they all sound very good. I know some people down on Pypes, but the M80s do sound pretty good IMO.

Is that where they mount the mufflers before the axle? If so I gotta imagine that creates some serious cabin drone, worse than axle-backs, since the mufflers will resonate right into the floor boards as opposed to the trunk area.

SOLD -2005 Black GT Whipple HO| Oil Seperator | Steeda Tensioner | 93 dyno tune | Autometer Cobalt | GTAs | Eibach Pro-kit | Tokico D-Specs | CHE UCA | BMR PH | BMR LCA | BMR LCA Bracket | 18x9/10 Deep Dish Bullits

2013 Shelby GT500
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-04-2012
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw0scoops123 View Post
Is that where they mount the mufflers before the axle? If so I gotta imagine that creates some serious cabin drone, worse than axle-backs, since the mufflers will resonate right into the floor boards as opposed to the trunk area.
Well I can't comment on drone. I can say they sound good, and I believe the reviews I've read didn't say anything about drone. I think with the right setup you can eliminate any drone, you just gotta figure it out.

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-04-2012
PONY Member

Quote:
I have the pype bomb super system (M80 mid mufflers with pype bomb tips) and really like it. The drone isn't bad at all and I do a lot of highway driving right around 2500RPMs.

Not sure if this setup would be too loud w/ an OR X-pipe but I really do like it. Installation was a ***** but whatever, the price was right.

2005 Windveil Blue GT (MT)
93H Bama tune, JLT Series 3 CAI, FRPP CMDPs, Pype bomb super system, 3.73 gears, Steeda shift bushings, Saleen short shift block
Steeda ultralite springs, Tokiko D-specs, J&M Extreme joint UCA/LCAs, PHB, C/C plates, bumpsteer kit, Steeda Q1S wheels, 2011 GT brakes, 275/40R18 Sumi HTR Ziii tires
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-04-2012
PONY Member

Quote:

I'm running mid mounted SLP LM2's with MAC Boom Tube axle backs with a Bassani O/R X pipe and FRPP shorty headers. There's a little drone between 1800-2000 with the mid mufflers but it's not bad.

It's a little raspy and does have an annoying BRRRRRAAAAPPPPP when you get on it between 2500-3500 .. After that it screams.

Mooreville_7.50.mp4 - YouTube

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mid_Mounted_SLP_LM2.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	234.6 KB
ID:	163241  

2010 Grabber Blue Mustang GT, Forged 4.6L Roush TVS and other stuff ... The modding shall never end ...

Wife's car ... 2014 Sterling Gray Premium GT 401A, stock for now ..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page