Pics of mid-muffler setups on '05-'09 GT - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-10-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member
S197 Member

Pics of mid-muffler setups on '05-'09 GT

I was browsing some clips on youtube the other day listening to exhaust, and saw a mid-muffler setup (with Borlas) on there. I really liked the look, and it seems like maybe a decent way to save some money in regards to not buying an axle-back kit. Plain mufflers are much cheaper than an axle-back setup from what I've seen, so I'm thinking this might be a way to get into a nicer exhaust (Borla) for about the same money as a "standard" Flow or Pypes system. I have a buddy with a muffler shop, so the install won't cost me too much. Anyone done this or have pics? What mufflers did you go with? Any issues with dragging/hitting stuff?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-11-2012
Apprentice

Our cars sit pretty low already. I think the Pypes mid muffler may be the best option to tuck in as best you can.

I am interested to see what other feedback you get on this one, though.

Justin
Columbus, OH
'07 GT auto, Stage 3 Saleen Series VI blower @9.5lbs boost. LTs, MAC Boom Tubes, 1pc Driveshaft, Eaton posi.
Brenspeed Installed and Brenspeed Tuned
Best 1/4 mile is 11.42 @ 119. Driven Daily
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-11-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member
S197 Member

I'll have to check out the Pypes mid muffler, wasn't aware they offered one. The guy on youtube said he is lowered, but hasn't had any issues with scrubbing/dragging.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-11-2012
PONY Member

I have the "pype bomb super system" mid muffler system and really like it, though it was a PITA to install. I got the passenger side exhaust tip hung perfectly but couldn't get the drivers to line up for the life of me. It's still a bit off... I ran out of time that first day I was installing it and haven't got around to adjusting it yet.

Regarding dragging the mufflers - no trouble yet and I'm lowered on steeda ultralites on our terrible MA roads. I've gone over a couple short speed bumps and didn't drag the mufflers but I don't know if I'll make it over taller speed bumps. I have to run to a store with tall speed bumps in the parking lot soon... maybe I'll go tonight and report back.

The picture that I attached is after I lowered the car so you can get an idea of how much clearance the mid mufflers have. I don't have any pictures of the ass end of my car on my phone but if I remember I'll snap a shot of how the exhaust tips look a bit later.

One thing that I might change is offsetting the mid-mufflers when I get around to fixing the exhaust tip placement.

I personally don't have any trouble with the current "drone"... as far as I'm concerned it's VERY minimal and only noticeable while accelerating at around 2k RPMs. I do LOTS of highway driving at 2200-2500 RPMS and have no drone at all. My father on the other hand borrowed the car the other day and complained about the noise and said he had to short shift at 1800 RPMs or else it hurt his head. Granted he thought the stang was kinda loud with the stock exhaust so take that piece of info with a grain of salt Even though I don't have a problem with drone I've heard that staggering the mufflers can reduce the (already near non-existent) drone so I figure I'll give it a try and see how she sounds.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4I07N.jpeg
Views:	831
Size:	364.3 KB
ID:	163527  

2005 Windveil Blue GT (MT)
93H Bama tune, JLT Series 3 CAI, FRPP CMDPs, Pype bomb super system, 3.73 gears, Steeda shift bushings, Saleen short shift block
Steeda ultralite springs, Tokiko D-specs, J&M Extreme joint UCA/LCAs, PHB, C/C plates, bumpsteer kit, Steeda Q1S wheels, 2011 GT brakes, 275/40R18 Sumi HTR Ziii tires
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-11-2012
PONY Member

Just ran to the store on my lunch break so I snapped a few pics of the Pype bomb exhaust tips... yeah she could use a good cleaning.

You can see how the driver's side is way out of alignment (and it sticks out further than I'd like). Hoping I can fix that with a bit more time playing with fitment, otherwise I'll bring it to an exhaust shop and have them adjust/modify as necessary.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FEh64.jpg
Views:	592
Size:	625.1 KB
ID:	163529   Click image for larger version

Name:	hnjaG.jpg
Views:	520
Size:	141.2 KB
ID:	163530   Click image for larger version

Name:	uMUHp.jpg
Views:	344
Size:	157.8 KB
ID:	163531  

93H Bama tune, JLT Series 3 CAI, FRPP CMDPs, Pype bomb super system, 3.73 gears, Steeda shift bushings, Saleen short shift block
Steeda ultralite springs, Tokiko D-specs, J&M Extreme joint UCA/LCAs, PHB, C/C plates, bumpsteer kit, Steeda Q1S wheels, 2011 GT brakes, 275/40R18 Sumi HTR Ziii tires
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-11-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member
S197 Member

Thanks for the pics - they don't look to hang much if any lower than the rest of the underbody. I'm still trying to decide which way to go, but I did find the Borla Stingers mufflers for around $150/ea. That sure beats the price I'm seeing for the axle-back on them.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-13-2012
GT Member

On my Super System I had to bend the front hanger bar on the drivers side rear muffler toward the tip after that it hung much better.

Staggering the mid pipes eliminate the last bit of drone.

Alex
2010 GTRR in 5.0 Magazine [http://www.mustangandfords.com/featured-vehicles/m5lp-1212-2010-ford-mustang-gt-rr-total-fabrication/viewall.html]

2015 White SC, PP, etc....

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-13-2012
Apprentice

I think mid mounting borla stingers sounds awesome. I thought about doing it, but i've only heard videos so if you do it I'd really like hear how think they are.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-13-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member
S197 Member

I've only heard videos too, but man, they sound wicked.
Rookie

could also do what ive done. 24" glasspacks mid mounted.
i got pleanty of clearence and ive had then with tips out the back and turned down. exhaust note at WOT is wicked.

2009 GT/CS
#139 of 1705 Coupes
#42 of 448 in Ebony

Roush : BMR : CHE : Steeda : BBK : Dynomaxx : FRPP : Raptor : Kaneen

EXPLICIT STANGS PRESIDENT
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-13-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoolerSL2 View Post
could also do what ive done. 24" glasspacks mid mounted.
i got pleanty of clearence and ive had then with tips out the back and turned down. exhaust note at WOT is wicked.

Can you post up a sound clip, or have a link to an existing one?
Rookie

heres a older one when the mufflers were new. once they break in they get louder. ill record a clip and post a new one in a bit.

2009 GT/CS
#139 of 1705 Coupes
#42 of 448 in Ebony

Roush : BMR : CHE : Steeda : BBK : Dynomaxx : FRPP : Raptor : Kaneen

EXPLICIT STANGS PRESIDENT
PONY Member

Just as a side note - no clearance issues with the M80s in the pype's super system either, even on my car lowered 1.25"/1.5" F/R

Rookie

I had Magnaflow Magnapacks 10416 welded in with a set of Pypes Pype Bomb on the end and the sound is just sweet. I bought the Pypes mid-muffler kit, but the Pypes M-80 were junk. The welds on them were crap and one was separating a bit. I decided to just go back to my factory pipes and have the Magnapacks welded in. I also threw in a Boss 302 side exhausts with QTP cutouts into the mix for a little more sound when I need it.

2007 GT Windveil Blue (WBR 099)

CDC/Foose Hood with CDC Shaker system, Detroit Rockers,Kooks LT w/Catted H-pipe and Boss 302 Side Exit Exhausts, Pypes Pype Bomb muffler deletes, FRPP 4.10 Gears, C&L Racer CAI, MGW Shifter, BMR Suspension, Steeda Spyders (Machine Face/Lip), NITTO 275/35 & 315/35
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page