2007 gt/cs, ford racing power pack question - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-19-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice

2007 gt/cs, ford racing power pack question

Has anyone installed one of these on this generation GT?

2005-2009 MUSTANG GT POWER UPGRADE PACKAGE | Part Details for M-FR1-MGT1 | Ford Racing Performance Parts

$1200 seems steep but looking at what I get it might be worth it. Is that tuner as good as the Bama tuners I see on these forums? Does anyone have a sound file or vid of how loud the exhaust is? I would like louder than stock but not obnoxious. Car currently has K&N intake but on the site they say the tune is only good for the ford racing power pack parts, not my current K&N. I thought an intake was an intake, could this be true? Worst case, I get this and sell my K&N intake on ebay.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-19-2012
Apprentice
4.6L Member
S197 Member

I think you could do better going through AM and getting a JLT CAI w/SCT tuner with Bama tunes and a nice axle back exhaust. It would be cheaper plus give the flexibility of free tunes for future upgrades. I'm not familiar with the tuner that comes with the package but the SCT lets you check CEL codes and make other adjustments as well as 3 different tunes.

I think I was around $800 for CAI, tuner, and Pypes Violators.
Good luck

2013 GT Premium A/T 5.0
2006 Mustang GT premium A/T Sold
1990 Mustang GT Sold

2003 Kawasaki Mean Streak Modded to death and Fast The Torque Monster SOLD!!!!
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-19-2012
PONY Member
S197 Member

I think above poster is right on the money...put your own package together from AM and save some money, plus have a better tuner for down the road. I think the Pro Cal is pretty limited from what I've read.
And yes, there are differences among the CAI.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-20-2012
PONY Member
S197 Member

I have the same axlebacks and CAI with a tune and tuner from American Muscle. I spent around $950 at the time, but i know the FRPP CAI is less expensive now. BTW, axlebacks dont give you any "power" , just a better sound, and these DO sound much nicer than stock.

2008 Metallic Alloy GT Convertible Premium
Show : black top| 18" bullitt polished wheels| CDC light bar and black billet replacement grilles | black/amber corner lights | GT500 rear spoiler| AH chin spoiler
Go:
FRPP CAI with StangHi tunes | Kooks LT's | FR500 axle back | Steeda Sport springs | Koni STR.t struts/shocks | J&M camber plates | UMI adj. panhard bar | LCA relocation brackets | GT500 LCA's | Hurst Billet shifter | 3.73 gear | FRPP axle girdle | Baer Rotors and Pads
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-20-2012
BOSS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by money2noise View Post
Has anyone installed one of these on this generation GT?

2005-2009 MUSTANG GT POWER UPGRADE PACKAGE | Part Details for M-FR1-MGT1 | Ford Racing Performance Parts

$1200 seems steep but looking at what I get it might be worth it. Is that tuner as good as the Bama tuners I see on these forums? Does anyone have a sound file or vid of how loud the exhaust is? I would like louder than stock but not obnoxious. Car currently has K&N intake but on the site they say the tune is only good for the ford racing power pack parts, not my current K&N. I thought an intake was an intake, could this be true? Worst case, I get this and sell my K&N intake on ebay.

Thanks in advance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTStang90 View Post
I think you could do better going through AM and getting a JLT CAI w/SCT tuner with Bama tunes and a nice axle back exhaust. It would be cheaper plus give the flexibility of free tunes for future upgrades. I'm not familiar with the tuner that comes with the package but the SCT lets you check CEL codes and make other adjustments as well as 3 different tunes.

I think I was around $800 for CAI, tuner, and Pypes Violators.
Good luck
money2noise,

The FRPP power pack is a great kit. However you are pretty limited with the Pro cal and preloaded tune that come with it. I don't think you can go wrong and I'm sure you'll be happy with whatever you decide but it sounds like piecing a kit together may be best for you.

A Bama SCT custom tuner paired up with an Airaid or JLT CAI and whatever axle back fits you best would not only be a few bucks cheaper, but will make more power and be for your unique taste.

For every Bama Tune we ask you 19 questions about your specific Mustang, including your unique mods and style of driving. This info helps us write custom tunes from the ground-up for your Mustang's mods that will give you the most horsepower that we can safely deliver. We're also constantly developing our tunes! Between our 14 different Project Mustangs and tons of street/track and dyno testing (on our in-house Dynojet 224xLC), we're looking for any minor tweaks to be made that can benefit you guys. We're also part of Fords Technology Transfer Program & Work very closely with Ford to insure that all of our tunes are perfect!

Another great feature when ordering from Bama is our free tunes for life program. Anytime you add a new modification, just give us a call and we'll get you a revision file sent out within a few hours! This is just the beginning of what Bama/Americanmuscle has to offer you. Let me know if you have any questions!

-Dan

Dan Bailer | AmericanMuscle.com
Toll Free: 866.727.1266 | M-F 9AM-9PM EST | Sat 9AM-5:30PM EST
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST | Sat 9AM-5:30PM EST
Free Same-Day Shipping!
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-20-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Thanks so much for the info. I like the modularity of putting it together myself and if it costs less, even better. Will the Bama tuner work with a K&N CAI? If I can use the CAI that's already on the car, that will also save me some $$$. Can a DYIer install an axle back exhaust in the garage with no welding, sawzalls or anything else?

TIA.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-20-2012
PONY Member
S197 Member

An axle-back can be done in the garage with hand tools. However, the stock system can be tough to get off if it has been on for a while - some of the components tend to freeze together. Having some PB Blaster or the like around with a good bit of patience will go a long way.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-21-2012
BOSS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by money2noise View Post
Thanks so much for the info. I like the modularity of putting it together myself and if it costs less, even better. Will the Bama tuner work with a K&N CAI? If I can use the CAI that's already on the car, that will also save me some $$$. Can a DYIer install an axle back exhaust in the garage with no welding, sawzalls or anything else?

TIA.
We can definitely tune for your K&N CAI, that's not a problem at all. As far as install goes on the Axle back its very simple. It should take you about an hour to an hour and a half to get them installed. Now cutting or welding required, just some WD40 and a few hand tools!

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any further questions!

-Dan

Dan Bailer | AmericanMuscle.com
Toll Free: 866.727.1266 | M-F 9AM-9PM EST | Sat 9AM-5:30PM EST
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST | Sat 9AM-5:30PM EST
Free Same-Day Shipping!
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-24-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Dan and all the rest,

Thanks for the info. I have decided to leave my K&N CAI on the car and get a bama tuner. Is this the one I need?

Bama SF3/X3 Power Flash Tuner w/ 3 Free Custom Tunes (05-10 GT) 3015||38018 - Free Shipping!

I see it comes with 3 custom tunes and lifetime tunes. Does that mean Bama will give me unlimited tunes for my car but the device can only hold 3 at a time?

When I get my axleback mufflers, do I have to retune?

Thanks again for all the help.
Apprentice
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Yep that looks like the one.

That is correct 3 tunes plus it will keep your stock tune.
MOST people get 87 street tune, 89 performance tune, and 93 race tune. But you can choose in the drop downs. Then anytime you do a mod you can get updated tunes.
Usually don't have to update tune for axlebacks

2013 GT Premium A/T 5.0
1990 Mustang GT Sold

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-26-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Great, thanks for the info. I ordered the bama tuner and am anxious to see if I get a seat of the pants noticeable difference. I was curious if you like the sequential tail light kit and mirror covers. Those are two things I was thinking of doing along with swapping rotors for drilled/slotted rotors and the red GT caliper covers. I like the GT/CS but still don't want it to look like every other one on the road.

TIA
Apprentice
4.6L Member
S197 Member

If you have a manual trans. I have heard it is not night and day but with the auto like I have the difference is huge.

Sequential taillights are great easy install only bad part is I can't see them LOL

If you do the mirror covers make sure to pick up some extra tape as they don't come with enough. Overall they do change the look of the car but don't sit as flush as I'd like.
Hope this helps good luck
Duke

2013 GT Premium A/T 5.0
1990 Mustang GT Sold

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page