Check Engine Light - How to turn off?? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-19-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Check Engine Light - How to turn off??

I just installed LT's and a off-road h so my cats are sitting in my garage now. I installed the tune with my SCT tuner from American Muscle/Bama and everything seems to be cool except my check engine is on now. I've heard you can trick the computer into thinking the cats are still on with the tuner but how do you do it? Just plug it in and do what? Thanks!

Mike

2008 GT Premium
Silver, 5 spd, OBX LT's, off-road h, Muffler deletes, K&N CAI, BAMA 93 Race, Steeda strut brace
(Mods in my closet waiting for install)
GT500 ported TB (given to me free)
Future mods: FRPP 3.73's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-19-2012
GT Member
5.0L Member

Garage
the tune needed to of had the option to turn that off in it, call bama and get new tunes.

2016 Mustang GT 5.0 Magnetic Metallic Performance Package
Interior - Recaro Bucket Seats, Weathertech Digital Fit Floor Mats, Diode Dynamics LED Visor Mirror Lights, LED Glove Box Light, LED Trunk Light, and LED Map Light
Exterior -Dealer Installed Shelby GT350 Racing Stripes, SunTek Carbon 15% Tint, Diode Dynamics LED Switchback Blinkers, LED Reverse Light
Performance - MBRP Race Series 3" Catback
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-19-2012
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Yeah -- what Shorty said.

2009 Mustang GT Premium: Grabber Orange with custom black paint | 5 Speed Manual | 3.73 Gears | Custom CarFX Tune | Steeda Cold Air Intake | Steeda Axle Back Exhaust | Push To Start | Hurst Competition Plus Short Shifter | Rear Window Louvers | Window Tint | 8-inch Shorty Antenna | Parnelli Jones Race Number | ELEANOR Style Honeycomb Grille | ELEANOR Style Quarter Window Louvers | ELEANOR Vanity Plate

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-20-2012
BOSS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikes2008gt View Post
I just installed LT's and a off-road h so my cats are sitting in my garage now. I installed the tune with my SCT tuner from American Muscle/Bama and everything seems to be cool except my check engine is on now. I've heard you can trick the computer into thinking the cats are still on with the tuner but how do you do it? Just plug it in and do what? Thanks!
mikes2008gt,

Awesome choice with the LT's and off-road H, that will definitely wake your Stang up! We can definitely turn the o2's off within the tune, did you request them to be turned off on your tune sheet?

Either way just give my Bama team a call and they'll be able to send you a revised file with the o2's turned off!

-Dan

Dan Bailer | AmericanMuscle.com
Toll Free: 866.727.1266 | M-F 9AM-9PM EST | Sat 9AM-5:30PM EST
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST | Sat 9AM-5:30PM EST
Free Same-Day Shipping!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-20-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMDanBailer View Post
mikes2008gt,

Awesome choice with the LT's and off-road H, that will definitely wake your Stang up! We can definitely turn the o2's off within the tune, did you request them to be turned off on your tune sheet?

Either way just give my Bama team a call and they'll be able to send you a revised file with the o2's turned off!

-Dan
Thanks Dan. I didn't request specifically to have the rear O2's turned off. I just chose the off-road midpipe option and figured that meant the same thing. I figured no cats = turn off rear O2's in the tune. But I appreciate the reply and I'll give Bama a call. Thanks!

And talk about waking up the car...HECK YES!! Waking up the neighbors this morning too...:hihi:

Mike

2008 GT Premium
Silver, 5 spd, OBX LT's, off-road h, Muffler deletes, K&N CAI, BAMA 93 Race, Steeda strut brace
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-20-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Called Bama. They looked at the tune they sent and the guy said it showed that the tune included turning off the rear o2 sensors. He told me to get the codes and call him back tomorrow. The 2 codes it's throwing are:

PO141 - o2 heater (htr-11) ckt (b1, s2)

PO161 - o2 heater (htr-22) ckt (b2, s2)

Any ideas?

Mike

2008 GT Premium
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-21-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice
4.6L Member
S197 Member

So Bama says you have to use your rear o2 sensors in order for the CEL to stay off. Seems odd to me. I thought that was the whole point in the tune turning them off, so the CEL doesn't come on. But they're telling me I HAVE to have the rear o2 seosnrs plugged in and working.

Mike

2008 GT Premium
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-22-2012
GT Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

I believe you have to have them plugged in so they don't throw that code. Turning off the rear o2 sensors turns off the "catalyst below efficiency" code if my memory serves me correctly. I'm 90% sure I had to get o2 sensor extensions... plugged those in and was good to go.

2006 V6 Pony Package Premium -Mods: 61mm Powerhouse Turbo and Intercooler, Evolution Dyno Tune(Jon Lund), Steeda Performance Shorty Headers.
Current Numbers:
350 rwhp/420 torque @ 8.3 psi (low boost)
415 rwhp/470 torque @12 psi Car died 6/23/09
New Set Up: 4.6 3v With Manual Trans, Bolt Ons
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page