Problem with Champion One Piece Plugs? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-23-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member
S197 Member

Problem with Champion One Piece Plugs?

On my 2005 Mustang GT I recently replaced my original Motorcraft plugs with 8 new Champion one piece plugs gapped at .045. Got the old plugs out without breaking any apart. About two weeks later I went on the road for a 1600 mile trip, and the problems started.

Issues
- Check Engine light for misfire on cylinder 5 - not sure if its a bad plug or a coil problem.
- Car runs very badly sometimes at low speeds. Rough idle. Light acceleration feels like there is no power.
- Much louder "popping" from the exhaust when you rev up the engine and quickly drop off the throttle. It sounds very rough (not a pleasant sound).

Good news
- Gas mileage on the trip was 24.6 average for over 1600 miles. Most driving was at speed limit plus about 4-5 mph.

Are these Champions any good, or should I go back to the two piece Motorcraft plugs? I can replace the number five Champion plug, which might be bad, or I could just put a new set of Motorcraft in.

Thanks,

Bruce

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-23-2012
GT Member

NO!

I would say no on the Motorcraft SP. As you know the seperation problems during the removal of them. I run the Brisk 1pc and have 0 issues the Champions I have never read anything that would indicate a problem with the plug. At the cost for just 1 I would swap #5 or check it out or check the COPs to ensure they are seated well. I would add check all connections to ensure nothing was missed.

T Wayne

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-23-2012
GT Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Make sure you didnt crack the porcelain. I have a set of 8 that i ran before i went supercharged if you want. Pm me for a good price. All are gapped and work perfect.

D.O.B. 3V/GT500 Kit 463 RWHP/ 465 RWTRQ @ 11.5 PSI on 92oct - Dyno Dynamics Dyno

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-24-2012
Apprentice
Classic Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

I had the same problem with mine when I went to champion. I wound up having to replace two of them, one was visibly cracked on the tip, one looked fine. I just replaced the ones that gave me a misfire code with new champions and they've been ok almost two years now. Next time I change them I'll use the Brisk plugs, I'm not a fan of champion but I'm not putting a two piece back in there either.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-24-2012
GT Member

Porcelain

Cracking will cause problems. The Brisk have been great for me but they are not cheap. How much does a Champion plug cost for our cars?

T Wayne
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-25-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member
S197 Member

I bought my Champion plugs locally, so I paid $16.01/plug, and there is also a $2/plug rebate from Champion. The Champion plugs are also on Amazon for $15.22/plug with free shipping and the same $2 rebate.

Some other differences I found.
- The Champion plug seems to be an old-school plug design. It can be gapped with a standard tool, while the Motorcraft plugs have a closed loop design around the electrode. I think this requires a special gapping tool.
- Factory gap on the Champion was about .044, and I reset it to the recommended .045 I found in a couple of articles. The Motorcraft recommended plug gap is about .054, so its quite a bit wider.

I know the Motorcraft plugs were cheaper at the store, but I don't remember the price.

Bruce
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-25-2012
GT Member

Not

Well that is not cheap either. I would swap out the 1 plug as prescribed above.

Keep us posted.

T Wayne
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-28-2012
Apprentice

No problems yet, shop reccomended!!!

I had a local shop put the new Champions in, the car runs great! The guy's at K&S automotive said they have never had a problem with his plug, and recomended it for non supercharged/turbo/ nitrus aplications in the Ford 4.6 The car ran very nice! Although we only had 14,000 on the car? (2007 Mustang GT) These guys at K&S auto are pro's, and they did a fantastic job! Thank's John!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page