How can I Cat-Delete on 2005 Mustang GT and still pass state inspection. - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-26-2012 Thread Starter
Rookie

How can I Cat-Delete on 2005 Mustang GT and still pass state inspection.

I am really wanting to do long tube headers on my 2005 Mustang GT, but I didnt realize this means no cats on my car( as far as i know, please correct if im wrong). This is an issue seeing as it is my daily driver and im going to need to pass Texas state inspection in March. I have a C&L intake, Hurst short throw, SCT X3 tuner, and Pypes muffler deletes, and i would like to get some pacsetter long tubes and an matching x pipe, but as stated above inspection is the issue. I have heard that there is a way to trick the system, i'm not too sure how it works and i would like to find out if possible. Any other advice would be appreciated whether negative or positive.

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-26-2012
GT Member
5.0L Member

Garage
find a shaddy shop to pay off, since its a federal crime to run without cats, im assuming there is not many shops that would sign off on that, but you could also just put the stock stuff back on for inspections.

2016 Mustang GT 5.0 Magnetic Metallic Performance Package
Interior - Recaro Bucket Seats, Weathertech Digital Fit Floor Mats, Diode Dynamics LED Visor Mirror Lights, LED Glove Box Light, LED Trunk Light, and LED Map Light
Exterior -Dealer Installed Shelby GT350 Racing Stripes, SunTek Carbon 15% Tint, Diode Dynamics LED Switchback Blinkers, LED Reverse Light
Performance - MBRP Race Series 3" Catback
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-26-2012
PONY Member

I just swap the pipes out for inspection.

Whipple S/C 550 HO kit, FRPP 3.73 Gears, FRPP springs, Steeda Spyder 20x9 and 20x11, BMR LCAs, BMR ReLo Brackets, Front and Rear CShelby Sway bars, Hurst Billet Shifter, Custom Dyno Tune, MRT O/R H pipe, Borla Stingers

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-26-2012
PONY Member
S197 Member

I am not sure what they inspect for there, but you might fail a visual inspection once they see the midpipe and cats have been altered.
Texas Department of Public Safety - Inspection Criteria for the Annual SAFETY Inspection

2008 Metallic Alloy GT Convertible Premium
Show : black top| 18" bullitt polished wheels| CDC light bar and black billet replacement grilles | black/amber corner lights | GT500 rear spoiler| AH chin spoiler
Go:
FRPP CAI with StangHi tunes | Kooks LT's | FR500 axle back | Steeda Sport springs | Koni STR.t struts/shocks | J&M camber plates | UMI adj. panhard bar | LCA relocation brackets | GT500 LCA's | Hurst Billet shifter | 3.73 gear | FRPP axle girdle | Baer Rotors and Pads
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-26-2012
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

you CAN get catted mid-pipes that work with long tube headers, I know Kooks has them among others, take a look on American Muscle for some quick and easy examples

but it still might not pass inspection because the cats won't get hot enough to really work behind the long tubes, I am not exactly sure about that aspect of it

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-27-2012
Apprentice
4.6L Member
S197 Member

In NC I failed visual inspection with a stock exhaust except for the Pypes muffler deletes so I had to get rid of them and put on Pypes Violators. The shop said the mufflers couldn't be straight pipe they had to "look like mufflers". If they put it on a lift and look it will probably fail. If they just hook it up there are ways to "trick" the computer. I have read on here that there is something you do with spark plug non foulers or something like that. Hopefully someone will chime in on that.
Good luck

2013 GT Premium A/T 5.0
2006 Mustang GT premium A/T Sold
1990 Mustang GT Sold

2003 Kawasaki Mean Streak Modded to death and Fast The Torque Monster SOLD!!!!
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-27-2012
Apprentice

If u want to run long tubes and xpipe no cats get some MIL elimminators they will turn off the cel making it run normal. They wire into O2 sensor on each side of the connector then find a place that you know someone and have inspected they usually don't raise up unless they dot know you or they have been caught passing cars they shouldn't be. Or option two get 95 or older where it don't matter.

Sent from my iPhone using AG Free

95 5.0 sleeper.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-28-2012
GT Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by r1rider1015 View Post
If u want to run long tubes and xpipe no cats get some MIL elimminators they will turn off the cel making it run normal. They wire into O2 sensor on each side of the connector then find a place that you know someone and have inspected they usually don't raise up unless they dot know you or they have been caught passing cars they shouldn't be. Or option two get 95 or older where it don't matter.

Sent from my iPhone using AG Free
They haven't made MIL eliminators since 04. They sometimes work, but only on 05-06 cars. In 07 there were some changes done to the computer and the eliminators no longer work.

Best to re-tune with a tune that turns on the rear O2s.

2007 GT500 - White, Blue stripes, 2010 clutch, JLT123, SLP Loudmouth, VMP tune, AFCO heat exchanger, CHE upper/lower control arms, QA1 adjustable rear shocks. #360 of all GT500 coupes. 13,000 miles.
RWHP - ?? ~500
_______
2012 Jeep Wrangler Sport 6spd - Daily Driver
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-28-2012 Thread Starter
Rookie

Thanks for the input, and but i think im just going to go to a muffler shop and see what they would recomend, and if they will just pass me off if I work a deal out with them.
Rookie

Can always install an electronic exhaust bypass valve before the cats. Just make sure you have it closed before inspection.

2010 Mustang GT: 5 Speed Manual | 3:31 gears | Steeda CAI | Magnaflow Magnapack Cat Back Exhaust | Diablosport Trinity Tuner | BAMA Custom Tunes
GT Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by david286 View Post
Can always install an electronic exhaust bypass valve before the cats. Just make sure you have it closed before inspection.
There isn't room, unfortunately.

OP, most exhaust shops won't remove cats. They will only replace them with new ones. They face some pretty serious fines for it. Here in Arkansas there's no emissions laws, but a shop faces a $2,000 dollar fine for removing someone's cats.

2007 GT500 - White, Blue stripes, 2010 clutch, JLT123, SLP Loudmouth, VMP tune, AFCO heat exchanger, CHE upper/lower control arms, QA1 adjustable rear shocks. #360 of all GT500 coupes. 13,000 miles.
RWHP - ?? ~500
_______
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick F View Post
There isn't room, unfortunately.
Would take a little re-piping but not impossible.

2010 Mustang GT: 5 Speed Manual | 3:31 gears | Steeda CAI | Magnaflow Magnapack Cat Back Exhaust | Diablosport Trinity Tuner | BAMA Custom Tunes
GT Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by david286 View Post
Would take a little re-piping but not impossible.
Not to start an argument or anything... but have you ever seen the underside of an 05+ mustang? The area around the cats is pretty crowded.. there's inches.

RWHP - ?? ~500
_______
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick F View Post
Not to start an argument or anything... but have you ever seen the underside of an 05+ mustang? The area around the cats is pretty crowded.. there's inches.
All's good...I haven't seen the underside of an '05 so not sure how much room is there but I've seen it done on a 2001 Cobra that's why I made the suggestion. I've also seen mid-pipes with removable cats...they may work instead then.

PONY Member

I have seen long tubes with cats. In New Jersey if the OBD II reports AOK and what looks like cats are in place and the gas cap doesn't leak one gets a two year pass. Or buy a new car and it doesn't have to be inspected for five years and put a B52 engine in it.

4 Jet Car Drag Race - YouTube

2009 Mustang GT Deluxe, fake hood scoop, Ford Racing Bullitt cold air intake and tune, Hurst billet competition plus shifter.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
2005 ford mustang gt , cat delete , catalytic converter , inspection

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page