2005 Passenger SJB Leak - Problem Identified, But Need Your Help To Fix! - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-30-2012 Thread Starter
Rookie
S197 Member

2005 Passenger SJB Leak - Problem Identified, But Need Your Help To Fix!

Hi everyone,

So. I have a 2005 Mustang GT convertible. It has just over 24,000 miles on it. Here is a picture:

2005 Passenger SJB Leak - Problem Identified, But Need Your Help To Fix!-ktpfdl.jpg

It's an incredible car. It's had no mechanical problems, the body is in great shape, it's got an awesome red interior...but I'm looking to sell it. I just don't drive it enough, and someone else deserves to enjoy it!

In any case, I noticed last spring that I had developed the dreaded passenger side leak over the SJB. I immediately took the car in -- twice -- to my local dealer, who sealed everything under the wiper cowl. I also did some work myself after reading some of the messages in the Forum here.

After replacing the carpet (at a cost of nearly $900), I thought I'd be out of the woods. Boy, was I wrong.

We had a huge rain a few days ago and, when I went to get into the car, I noticed that the leak had started again. Now, I was pissed. I want to sell the car, sure, but there is no way in hell that I'm going to sell it without fixing the problem. It just wouldn't be right.

I took off the plastic panel covering the SJB and noticed something: the water seemed to be coming through the spot where the wires (for the mirror and window switches, I assume) move from the door to the car. Hmmm.

I checked my 2012 Audi A4 to see what kind of protection there was from water getting in behind the door hinges. In the Audi, there is a solid black plastic piece that keeps the rain out:

2005 Passenger SJB Leak - Problem Identified, But Need Your Help To Fix!-zdawql.jpg

Then, I checked the driver's side door of the Mustang. Okay, it wasn't a solid piece; they're not Germans, after all. But there was a bulky foam strip with teeth that looked like it could do the job:

2005 Passenger SJB Leak - Problem Identified, But Need Your Help To Fix!-37ptcl.jpg

Then I looked at the passenger's side. Uh-oh. Please note the SUNLIGHT coming through at the top from the open hood.

2005 Passenger SJB Leak - Problem Identified, But Need Your Help To Fix!-ejnkpl.jpg

I pushed a stick through so you can see. Here's the stick going in...

2005 Passenger SJB Leak - Problem Identified, But Need Your Help To Fix!-pz11ol.jpg

...and coming out...

2005 Passenger SJB Leak - Problem Identified, But Need Your Help To Fix!-1ryibl.jpg

So. It looks like the water is getting through that Grand Canyon-sized gap, coming into the car through the wiring harness, and drenching my SJB.

But here's the $15,000 question: how do I fix it? I tried expansion foam, but there's nothing for it to stick to. Is there something that I could put over that gap underneath the hood? Or is there a way to replace or repair the foam barrier?

What do you think, team? What should I do, and how should I do it? For now, I'm going to keep the car covered, only drive it on sunny days, and wait to hear from all of you.

Many thanks in advance.

-Ben

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-30-2012
GT Member

Are you sure water is getting in from there? Look on the door. There is weather trim on the dorr itself. So it is there and not ripped water is not gonna come from that route.

I had a water leak and after sealing the cowl did nothing the fenders were removed anda body seam under the fenders 8 inches towards the front of your pictures had the factory sealer coming loose. This was on both sides of the car. Its not hard to remove the fenders. Id check the body seam. And if its damaged use Ford seam filler.
I dont even use the big black foam pieces. They are more for deflecting water. If you weathertrim on your door is damaged or the seam under the fender is damaged they will do nothing to stop the water from coming in.

Picture of passenger side with fender removed. I also put the driver side pic to help you understand the picture.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0050.JPG
Views:	546
Size:	747.6 KB
ID:	164496   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0053.JPG
Views:	490
Size:	710.2 KB
ID:	164497  

2005 Ford Mustang GT Torch Red Manual
Saleen Super Shaker 3.4 pulley/Brenspeed Tune
Kooks Longtubes Catted H/FRPP Stingers
Full BMR And Steeda Suspension
FRPP Throttlebody
Dynotech Driveshaft
SOLD!! I have no Mustang at this time!
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-30-2012 Thread Starter
Rookie
S197 Member

Thank you for the input. I really appreciate it! Will look into getting those fenders off. Did you do so yourself, or did you take it to a shop?

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-30-2012
GT Member

I had a shop do it. But when I went to take the pictures I saw that it is not that hard to take off the fenders.
To remove,
1.Take off rocker panel (trim piece running along bottom of length of the car)
2.Remove inner splash shield
3.Remove Front bumber cover.
4. Remove fender bolts.

I dont know if this is your problem. Did you check the weathertrim all the way around the door?
And there was a guy who had a bad weld by the firewall and cowl that had a big gap letting water in.

Make sure the grommet where the wiring goes into the door is in securely.
Make sure the weathertrim on the door itself on on the frame surrounding the door is all good.
Also a smoke machine could be used as these cars are almost airtight.

I know how you feel. When my car leaked I was about to sell it. It made me furious because the car was 2 years old a Certified used car and had an extended warranty and they refused to fix it under warranty.

2005 Ford Mustang GT Torch Red Manual
Saleen Super Shaker 3.4 pulley/Brenspeed Tune
Kooks Longtubes Catted H/FRPP Stingers
Full BMR And Steeda Suspension
FRPP Throttlebody
Dynotech Driveshaft
SOLD!! I have no Mustang at this time!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-01-2012 Thread Starter
Rookie
S197 Member

Thank you for the clarification. I appreciate it. Unfortunately, this is a convertible, so there is no weatherstripping around the top. Initially, I had just a bit of water coming in by the window due to a poorly-fitted top, but I fixed that myself this summer by replacing a part when my local Ford dealer refused -- that's right, REFUSED -- to do it for me.

I will check everything you suggest and let you know. Again, I appreciate your suggestions and understanding. To say that this is "frustrating" is an understatement!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page