Info needed for TPMS on 07 GT/CS - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-02-2012 Thread Starter
Rookie

Info needed for TPMS on 07 GT/CS

Let me know if my knowledge is correct please. The tire pressure management system obviously detects changes in tire pressure and alerts you when it is low. I just recently found out that the TPMS is located around the inside of the rim. I busted my rim a few months back and bought a new duplicate rim. So, this means that the new rim/tire is not being monitored. How would I go about putting the TPMS sensor onto the new rim and make it work as inexpensive as possible? Also, does it still work if I put new tires on?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-02-2012
Apprentice
5.0L Member
S197 Member

If it was a from-factory stock replacement rim it should come with all the equipment the original wheel had. Whether it is hooked up or not is a different story, and some aftermarket wheels have them as options and some don't, but you should be able to buy replacement systems or sensors if new wheels does not already have them installed, and it should be relatively inexpensive, since it is just the sensors and not the entire system. The sensors measure the pressure in the tires, and should not be affected when tires are changed if they are generally of the same specifications (i.e., as long as the tire does not physically interfere with the sensor).

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-02-2012
PONY Member

If you need to buy a mounting kit. The dealer charges an arm and a leg for a band. I work at a dealer and it's even too expensive at my discount. I bought a set from eBay and works great. They also sell individual bands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-02-2012
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

not sure this is clear from the previous replies:

you should be able to take the old sensor out of the old wheel/tire -- first remove the tire from the wheel ; you will see the "band" wrapped around the wheel in the middle ; I am not sure exactly how it attaches, but there should be some screws or something; so remove it

then you have to remove the tire from the new wheel and install the band in the new wheel -- same as above only backwards

I am assuming you still have the old wheel, and that the band/sensor inside was not damaged -- if that is not the case, then you will need to buy a new compatible sensor; you can get them from the dealer or from e-bay, just make sure it is compatible with your car

A tire shop should be able to remove and remount tires on the wheels with the sensor installed, but it's probably a good idea to warn them that it is in there

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-02-2012
PONY Member

^^ original bands are not reusable. Sucks I know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-02-2012
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfiedagr8 View Post
^^ original bands are not reusable. Sucks I know.
Oh, I did not know that -- yeah, sucks big time since he is in Afghanistan

In that case, I think you can get the stem mounted style sensor, that is compatible with the 07 car? But it will need to be "synched" to the car, maybe you can get the tool for that, over here in the US you can have a dealer do it, but not sure over there

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
rim , tire , tpms

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page