Another gear oil change question - 05 GT - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-15-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Another gear oil change question - 05 GT

When changing gear oil I've always used brake cleaner to hose out the differential, however that has always been in my Jeep with either A) open diffs or B) Mechanical locker & mechanical limited slip - aka, no clutch packs.

I'm going to be tackling the gear and trans fluid in the 'stang today so I figured I'd ask before I break something - Will the clutch packs in the Mustang's diff be ruined if I hit them with brake cleaner? Or should I just hose everything down with the brake cleaner like I'm used to?

Thanks!
-Scott

2005 Windveil Blue GT (MT)
93H Bama tune, JLT Series 3 CAI, FRPP CMDPs, Pype bomb super system, 3.73 gears, Steeda shift bushings, Saleen short shift block
Steeda ultralite springs, Tokiko D-specs, J&M Extreme joint UCA/LCAs, PHB, C/C plates, bumpsteer kit, Steeda Q1S wheels, 2011 GT brakes, 275/40R18 Sumi HTR Ziii tires
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-15-2012
PONY Member
S197 Member

Your getting crazy. Just dump the old and put in the new.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

05GT, 09 GT500 Drivetrain, 2.6 pulley, JLT intake, 18x9.5 GT500 wheels, 14" Brembos, 2014 rear brakes, 14 cooling fan, Cortex racing Koni Coilovers, Cortex Watts Link BMR:K-Member, Tube rad support, adj upper third link, rear relo brackets,JBA long tubes and catted mid pipe, Stillen adj front & rear sway bars, Bump steer kit, Steeda shifter, Spydershaft Aluminum DS.
John Lund tune, 568 rwhp, 560 tq.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-15-2012
SheizaSoSay

I spayed THE SH!T out of my diff with brake cleaner. And don't listen to ole "dirty gary". Clean that crap out good. I found a very small amount of metal shavings at the bottom. No offense gary....it's fake name calling I'm giving you, not that real stuff I do on democrats.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-15-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member

I ended up just going for it and cleaned it out good. Tried not to spray right onto the clutch packs but got everything else.

The old gear oil in there was probably no more than 5-10k miles old so I wasn't too worried about it being filthy, though I did find a bit of crap on the magnetic drain plug. What a PITA though, had to pull the panhard bar to get the cover off.

Just finished cleaning myself off from all the gear oil that leaked from my ****** pump. Now I just gotta finish cleaning the garage and get the car off the jackstands.

Maybe I'll leave that for tomorrow. Where's my gin.

93H Bama tune, JLT Series 3 CAI, FRPP CMDPs, Pype bomb super system, 3.73 gears, Steeda shift bushings, Saleen short shift block
Steeda ultralite springs, Tokiko D-specs, J&M Extreme joint UCA/LCAs, PHB, C/C plates, bumpsteer kit, Steeda Q1S wheels, 2011 GT brakes, 275/40R18 Sumi HTR Ziii tires
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-15-2012
SheizaSoSay

Gear oil....reason number #1 I epoxy'd my garage floor. 1,000 dead a$$holes will haunt that concrete for eternity. Gear oil doesn't forgive.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-15-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member

I use my parents' garage and asked if they would like me to epoxy the floor in exchange for all the time I spend in there... they declined. Wtf. Why would they pass that up? haha.

I got most of the gear oil up tonight but will soak the rest with brake cleaner tomorrow and get it up as good as possible. Gear oil doesn't actually smell TOO bad if it's only got a few thousand miles on it... After 100k+? mother of god. You should have smelled the vile sludge that came out of my Jeep's front diff when I took it out of storage a couple years ago.

I have a shirt that got soaked by the Jeep gear 2+ years ago. It has been through the wash 100+ times and I wear it every time I work on the car/Jeep and it STILL smells VERY strongly of gear oil, to the point that I can't wear it anywhere except when i work on cars.

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-18-2012
PONY Member
S197 Member

1st.......Go Romney
2nd.....I am dirty.. ask my wife
3rd....cleaning the crud from the bottom is not the same as spraying the gears and clutch packs. Especially in a street car where you almost never get over 100. Just not necessary.
Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

05GT, 09 GT500 Drivetrain, 2.6 pulley, JLT intake, 18x9.5 GT500 wheels, 14" Brembos, 2014 rear brakes, 14 cooling fan, Cortex racing Koni Coilovers, Cortex Watts Link BMR:K-Member, Tube rad support, adj upper third link, rear relo brackets,JBA long tubes and catted mid pipe, Stillen adj front & rear sway bars, Bump steer kit, Steeda shifter, Spydershaft Aluminum DS.
John Lund tune, 568 rwhp, 560 tq.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page