05 GT - Bleeding brakes - dealer tool needed to cycle ABS? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-17-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member

05 GT - Bleeding brakes - dealer tool needed to cycle ABS?

So I'm thinking it's about time I bleed my brakes (and clutch while I'm at it) but I don't want to pay the $tealership a ton to do so for me when I know I'm perfectly capable of doing it myself. Plus I like the idea of having 100% control of what goes in my car and not leaving it in the hands of some tech who might go for a joy ride.

That said I also know that, at least on a lot of ABS equipped cars, a special diagnostic tool is required to cycle the ABS system so you can fully bleed the system. Is the tool required for our cars or is there some way to cycle the ABS w/o any special equipment? If it does require a special tool, does anyone know a good source to pick one up without spending a ton of money?

2005 Windveil Blue GT (MT)
93H Bama tune, JLT Series 3 CAI, FRPP CMDPs, Pype bomb super system, 3.73 gears, Steeda shift bushings, Saleen short shift block
Steeda ultralite springs, Tokiko D-specs, J&M Extreme joint UCA/LCAs, PHB, C/C plates, bumpsteer kit, Steeda Q1S wheels, 2011 GT brakes, 275/40R18 Sumi HTR Ziii tires
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-17-2012
Banned

only if it has an accumulator . our systems shouldn't need to be cycled.just be sure you use the proper fluid and start from the wheel furthest from the master cylinder.

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-17-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Awesome, thanks! And yeah, I know the order to bleed for the brakes... my only other question is with regard to the brakes/clutch. Since the brakes and clutch appear to share a reservoir should I bleed the clutch first or start with the brakes? Or will bleeding the brakes alone cycle enough fluid out that bleeding the clutch separately shouldn't be necessary?

93H Bama tune, JLT Series 3 CAI, FRPP CMDPs, Pype bomb super system, 3.73 gears, Steeda shift bushings, Saleen short shift block
Steeda ultralite springs, Tokiko D-specs, J&M Extreme joint UCA/LCAs, PHB, C/C plates, bumpsteer kit, Steeda Q1S wheels, 2011 GT brakes, 275/40R18 Sumi HTR Ziii tires

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-17-2012
Banned

the clutch and the brake system are separate.you'll find a separate container for the clutch fluid. the easiest way to bleed this system is called back bleeding. you hook up a pressurized bleeder to it and slowly bleed out the fluid.I have to do the same with my dirt bikes brakes.just remember to empty out the fluid in the resevior for the clutch so it doesn't over flow.also don't top off the fluid. it will expand when hot and cause the slave cylinder to hang up.also don't overfill the brakes either.it can cause the left front caliper to constantly be applied and burn the brakes up along with the seals in the caliper.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by buildingsleeper View Post
the clutch and the brake system are separate.

Uhhhh....no they are not
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-19-2012
PONY Member
S197 Member

The dealer can plug someting into the OBDII port to cycle the ABS solonoid. This is usually only neccesary if the fluid resovoir got all the way empty. Otherwise the normal DIY procedure should work fine. Be sure to get some high temp fluid.

2008 Metallic Alloy GT Convertible Premium
Show : black top| 18" bullitt polished wheels| CDC light bar and black billet replacement grilles | black/amber corner lights | GT500 rear spoiler| AH chin spoiler
Go:
FRPP CAI with StangHi tunes | Kooks LT's | FR500 axle back | Steeda Sport springs | Koni STR.t struts/shocks | J&M camber plates | UMI adj. panhard bar | LCA relocation brackets | GT500 LCA's | Hurst Billet shifter | 3.73 gear | FRPP axle girdle | Baer Rotors and Pads
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-19-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Well on some ABS equipped cars the normal DIY method will work fine to get 90% of the fluid flushed but that will still leave old fluid in the ABS module. While this is obviously much better than not flushing at all, the dealer ABS cycling tool will let you flush the system 100%.

If you can flush our cars 100% without a tool then that's great... otherwise I'll be looking into getting the necessary equipment to do it 100%. Either that or I might have to look up what the tool does exactly (what signal it sends via the OBD port or what pin on the OBD port is cycled) and possibly try to whip up a program for my phone. I have a bluetooth OBD adapter and could potentially get (or create) a program to cycle the ABS using my phone and save the money that way.

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-19-2012
PONY Member
S197 Member

I changed out my lines for braided lines last month- bled it with the Motive pressure kit. Seemed to get everything square.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page