Generic exhaust questions - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-21-2012 Thread Starter
Rookie

Generic exhaust questions

I have an 07 GT with SLP loudmouths on it right now but I want to put a full exhaust and intake on the car. Id really like to go with long tube headers but if I do where do the cats go? Ive been shoppin around for different kits and alot of the pictures Im seeing dont show them anywhere. Also should I go with the X pipe or H pipe after the cats? Thanks in advance.

-Angela

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-21-2012
Shelby Gt 350 member
S197 Member

When you go with Long Tubes (LT's) the cats go in the mid-pipe. In most cases when running LT's it moves the cats so far back in the exhaust system that they can't get warm enough to operate correctly (cats have to run real hot to work right).

It could be argued that running cats with LT's is for the most part a waste of time. They won't pass a visual emissions inspection, probably won't pass a "sniffer" emissions test and just add cost and complexity. The only advantage I see with running LT's an cats is that they will tone down the exhaust note. But that can be done with resonators, quieter mufflers, etc for less money. And lastly cats do eventually fail and can clog up.

The X or H pipe thing is mostly a "fashion" decision. A X-pipe will make slightly more power but for the most part it comes down to how they sound. Some people like the X-pipe sound, some people like the H-pipe sound.

My advice is to not go with long tube headers unless you just have to have them. They are expensive, they tend to be pretty loud, they don't make that much more power, they increase underhood and cabin (inside the car) temps, they are a PITA to install and work around in the future, etc, etc, etc. The only reason I have LT's on my 2007 is because I got to the point where I had to have them to make big, big HP numbers. When I was running 450hp I had stock manifolds and was happy as a pig in doodie.

Hope that helps.

Waiting on 2019 GT500

2012 GT Vert Brembo - Stock-ish

2012 F-150 FX4 EcoBoost 4x4 406rwhp/522rwtq. The most powerful EB F-150 on the planet?

2007 GT-TSR/Stops/Turns/Custom Everything/3.4L Whipple Crusher/1000hp SOLD
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-22-2012
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkgtmustang07 View Post
I have an 07 GT with SLP loudmouths on it right now but I want to put a full exhaust and intake on the car. Id really like to go with long tube headers but if I do where do the cats go? Ive been shoppin around for different kits and alot of the pictures Im seeing dont show them anywhere. Also should I go with the X pipe or H pipe after the cats? Thanks in advance.

-Angela

Here's what the Kook's catted mid-pipe looks like .. other are similar ..

Kooks Long Tube Headers- 1 5/8"x 2 1/2" w/Catted H-Pipe- 2005-2010 Ford Mustang GT (4.6L V8)

As far headers go .. basically comes down to how much do you want to spend?

JBA headers with a catted h-pipe is about the cheapest @$900-ish.
Headers 6675S, $470, Mid Pipe 6675SHC &430, JBA makes their headers out of 409 stainless, so they're a little cheaper than headers made out of 304.

409 SS is OEM grade and should last the life of your car, but it can rot out under harsh conditions..

Kook's are made out of 304 and run 1200-ish ..

Pypes makes a Chinese knock-off of the Kook's for 900-ish with their high flow cats.

American Racing Headers make a nice header 1400-ish ...

Other brands, BBK, SLP, Bassani, Stainless Works make stainless headers,

Pacesetter, Hooker, BBK and MAC make mild steel headers, Since you're in NJ, you'll want to go with stainless as the mild steel will definitely rot out ..

Also, I though NJ has a rather tough emissions test so you'll need to talk to somebody in NJ that has passed emissions and see who tuned their car.

2010 Grabber Blue Mustang GT, Forged 4.6L Roush TVS and other stuff ... The modding shall never end ...

Wife's car ... 2014 Sterling Gray Premium GT 401A, stock for now ..

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-22-2012
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

before you go too far --

1) read sqidd's post above, he covered the basic realities

2) find out about the inspection rules in New Jersey -- do they do visual inspection for stock exhaust/cats, sniffer test, etc.? you don't want to cause yourself a huge nightmare here

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-25-2012
Apprentice

Great deal that will sound great and the price is nice.
2005-2010 Mustang 4.6L GT JBA 1-5/8" Competition Long Tube Headers / H-Pipe Combo Kit

The best deal on the market today = FULL 3" LT -Tailpipe JBA System for about 1K
2005-2010 Mustang GT 4.6L JBA Complete 3" Exhaust Package - Sale
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page