Buying touchup paint & touchup recommendations - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-25-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Buying touchup paint & touchup recommendations

So I'm thinking that I'll be giving the car an end-of-season detailing this weekend to get it ready for winter duty. Wash, 2 coats of wax, etc.

One thing I'd like to do before applying the wax is to fill in a couple of the deeper paint chips I have. I know I've got at least one chip that goes down to metal on the front of the roof and probably a few good chips on the front of the hood.

I was thinking of picking up a touchup pen or a paint touch-up kit if I can find one - is this something a dealership would carry? Or will I have to order from a paint/body shop or off the web? I don't know if windveil blue touch-up paint is harder to find than other colors, but I don't think I've ever seen this color in the autozone/napa touch up paint sections...

FWIW - I don't particularly need the finished job to look perfect, I just want it to look better (and protect better) than leaving the open chips. If there are any other touchup options that would work better than a touch-up kit (something like this) or a paint touch up pen I'm all ears.

2005 Windveil Blue GT (MT)
93H Bama tune, JLT Series 3 CAI, FRPP CMDPs, Pype bomb super system, 3.73 gears, Steeda shift bushings, Saleen short shift block
Steeda ultralite springs, Tokiko D-specs, J&M Extreme joint UCA/LCAs, PHB, C/C plates, bumpsteer kit, Steeda Q1S wheels, 2011 GT brakes, 275/40R18 Sumi HTR Ziii tires
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-25-2012
Apprentice

The dealership carries touch up paint matching your color. You will need the color code located on the sticker at the bottom of the B pillar.

2012 GT Premium, Kona Blue
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-25-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Cool, thanks. Code should be P3 I believe so I'll call around and see if any local dealerships have it in stock.

And sorry about posting this in mustang tech - thought I was in talk. Whoops.

Edit - according to paintscratch.com the 2005 is listed with paint code P3/M7134 while 2006/2007 is listed with just P3.

I know the they note that in most cases you can ignore the /M7134 portion of the code but I just want to make sure... were there two different shades of Windveil Blue over the years or do all years share the same "P3" color and the /M7134 portion of the code is redundant?

2005 Windveil Blue GT (MT)
93H Bama tune, JLT Series 3 CAI, FRPP CMDPs, Pype bomb super system, 3.73 gears, Steeda shift bushings, Saleen short shift block
Steeda ultralite springs, Tokiko D-specs, J&M Extreme joint UCA/LCAs, PHB, C/C plates, bumpsteer kit, Steeda Q1S wheels, 2011 GT brakes, 275/40R18 Sumi HTR Ziii tires

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-25-2012
Apprentice

P3 is the color code and M7134 is the Ford code.

Just ask for P3 paint for a Ford 2005 and you'll get the right one.

2012 GT Premium, Kona Blue
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-25-2012
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Dr.ColorChip Custom Automotive Touch-Up Paint Kit - Dr. ColorChip: Automotive Paint Chip Repair Systems

/end thread

i've used this on my cars for years, very easy to use with excellent results.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page