3:73 gear questions - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-06-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice
4.6L Member
S197 Member

3:73 gear questions

I decided to go with a set of 3:73 gears for my 07 GT with auto and Detroit Rocker cams. I have been reading up on the different manufacturers out there and my installer prefers Richmond gears over the FRPP's, which I prefer. Reading on some of the forums about gear whine has me concerned somewhat. Some report whine with the FRPP gears while others report whine with the Richmond gears. I have also heard that Motive is now supplying the FRPP gears. My installer is not a fan of the Motive gears.

So, what are your opinions on this issue? Preferences, experience, pros and cons, etc. My decision to go with the 3:73's are firm. Your opinions have helped me make decisions before so I look forward to them.

"Leave the gun....Take the Cannolis"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-06-2012
Banned
4.6L Member

I have the Ford gears...quiet as stock...if they whine they are not setup properly

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-06-2012
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

I got the FRPP's and I got some whine to go with them . . . I guess I need to get back to the installer to ask them to fix it

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-06-2012
Apprentice

i had my frpp gears installed by someone who builds pro-quality competition rock crawlers. Quiet as a mouse....except the KOOKs long tubes.. :-P

2010 Mustang GT, FRPP 3:73.1 gears, Paxton NOVI 2200 H.O. supercharger, SCT brenspeed tune, KOOKS LT headers, catted H pipe, SSS axleback exhaust, Comp Cams Detroit RoCkErS, brenspeed grind, DuPont SuperJetBlack re-spray w/ ChromaPremier clear, blocked down and buffed out, no orange peel! and a 3m clear bra.. It sounds like my Ducati 996 now. :-P
BHP? Lots, I guess...
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-06-2012
PONY Member
S197 Member

stick with the ford gears and an experienced installer. Then should not whine at all. Make sure you get the friction modifier added

2008 Metallic Alloy GT Convertible Premium
Show : black top| 18" bullitt polished wheels| CDC light bar and black billet replacement grilles | black/amber corner lights | GT500 rear spoiler| AH chin spoiler
Go:
FRPP CAI with StangHi tunes | Kooks LT's | FR500 axle back | Steeda Sport springs | Koni STR.t struts/shocks | J&M camber plates | UMI adj. panhard bar | LCA relocation brackets | GT500 LCA's | Hurst Billet shifter | 3.73 gear | FRPP axle girdle | Baer Rotors and Pads
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-07-2012
PONY Member
4.6L Member

I've got Ford 4.10 gears and they don't whine. Professionally installed by a drag racer who has a shop in my city.

SLITHER
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-07-2012
Rookie

I have the Ford 3:73s in my 91 and no whine at all. Got 4:10s in my 07 auto and there is a bit of whine at 50-60 mph range. Not extremly noticeable. Thinking about 4:56s in my 10' GT auto.

2012 Mustang GT Grabber Blue 6spd (Current)
1991 Mustang GT Ht Oxford White (Current)
1991 Mustang GT Conv Black
2000 Mustang GT HT Silver
2007 Mustang GT HT Tungsten Gray
2010 Mustang GT HT Black
2010 Challenger R/T Torred(Current)
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-08-2012
PONY Member
S197 Member

FRPP 4:10 gears for me since day one and absolutely no Whine

2007 Black on Black, GT 6 Speed
B326 (5.3L) Built Stroker,FRPP CNC PORTED Heads,Kooks LT's,Hi-Flow Catted H,Aluminum Drive Shaft,4:10 Gears,Tokico, Eibach Pro,Nitto 555R,,UCA/LCA, ,HotRod Cams,FRPP 62mm TB,Whipple HO-Intercooled SC,GT-500 Dual Fuel Pumps,Steeda-Whipple 10 Rib Belt Drive System,15 psi, Mcleod RXT Twin Disc Clutch, Moroso 7qt oil pan. Tremec T56 Magnum XL 6 Speed
Plus more...
709 RWHP/712 RWTQ
Mustang Dyno
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page