Built motor - HP expectations? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-06-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Built motor - HP expectations?

I hate that I am creating a thread like this, but i cant find a decent comparison.

My built motor is almost finished and I am not sure what I should expect it to make.

Old setup:

Stock 4.6 longblock
Kenne Bell 2.6L @9lbs boost
Kooks LT Headers w/ xpipe
3.31 gears
Dyno @ 439/427

Changes

4.6L forged block - 9.0:1 compression
3.25" upper, 7.5" lower - expected 15lbs boost
Comp 127550 Cams w/lockouts
FRPP 62mm TB
4.10 gears

'07 GT Premium - 439 RWHP/427 TRQ - [email protected] - 1.64 60'
Exterior - Eleanor Hood, Chin Spoiler, Rear Quarter Window Scoops, Side Scoops, Ducktail Spoiler, Dropzone springs, Performance White w/ Blue racing stripes.
Engine - Kenne Bell 2.6L @9lb boost, Kooks LTH, w/ O/R X Pipe, FRPP Stingers
Drivetrain - UPR adj. UCA/LCA, Panhard Rod w/brace, Dynotech Alum. Driveshaft, BMR loop, PI 3200 TC., 4.10's, Trutrac
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-06-2012
Banned
4.6L Member

Id sure think at least 500wheel with a good tune

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-06-2012

You should probably be in the low 5xx's with what you have listed. You have locked the cams out and will lose a lot of torque under the curve. You have a twin screw blower that makes power down low. Why go with a cam that needs to be spun to higher rpm? Thats just going to create heat and an inefficient blower. The heat exchanger/intercooler system is not going to be sufficient to keep IATs down. Ignition timming will get pulled very quickly in real world driving. The 4.10s will help compensate for this but its like robbing from Peter to give to Paul.

You want to really make an inmprovement now? Largest MAF housing and intake tube you can get fabricated (5" would be great) and a better rear elbow if you do not have the Mammoth. If you do go this route you will probably want a bigger throttle body also. That Kenne Bell is choking itself out!

...Just my $0.02

And what have you done to address fueling?

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-06-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
You should probably be in the low 5xx's with what you have listed. You have locked the cams out and will lose a lot of torque under the curve. You have a twin screw blower that makes power down low. Why go with a cam that needs to be spun to higher rpm? Thats just going to create heat and an inefficient blower. The heat exchanger/intercooler system is not going to be sufficient to keep IATs down. Ignition timming will get pulled very quickly in real world driving. The 4.10s will help compensate for this but its like robbing from Peter to give to Paul.

You want to really make an inmprovement now? Largest MAF housing and intake tube you can get fabricated (5" would be great) and a better rear elbow if you do not have the Mammoth. If you do go this route you will probably want a bigger throttle body also. That Kenne Bell is choking itself out!

...Just my $0.02

And what have you done to address fueling?
I was already running to 6800, with my shift points at 6500, so I got a cam that would fit that area. I mostly drag the car as well.

I also have the afco H/E and larger reservoir to help a little with heat. Fuel, I just have the GT500 pumps and 60lb injectors.

As far as what I want, it would really just be a 10 second slip, so the dyno number is mostly an afterthought, but still a thought. I dont expect the 2.6 to do more, and I would probably go to a 2.8LC if i indeed want more.

Exterior - Eleanor Hood, Chin Spoiler, Rear Quarter Window Scoops, Side Scoops, Ducktail Spoiler, Dropzone springs, Performance White w/ Blue racing stripes.
Drivetrain - UPR adj. UCA/LCA, Panhard Rod w/brace, Dynotech Alum. Driveshaft, BMR loop, PI 3200 TC., 4.10's, Trutrac
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-06-2012

The Afco is nice but it is still just part in a system. You still have lines, fittings, intercooler and pump. Some of this you can improve upon others not so much. All of this is more important while driving on the road as opposed to having the ability to cool down between runs. I would still suggest considering addressing this area especially if you datalog your runs and your IATs are over 135*.

You may be right on the bubble with fueling in the upper rpms. You can always bump up the base pressure to make those 60s act like a larger injector but I would probably be prepared to come up with the coin for a larger set. A good fuel system is a safety net against several dangerous situations.

The pics I attached are what I have done to address cooling. My IATs went from thermal melt down spinning my 2.3L Whipple to just over 18,000 rpms and making 15.5 psi to my new setup still with the same 2.3L Whipple spinning to just under 18,000 rpms making 17.36 psi with IATs to a more manageable zone. I also attached my dyno sheet (run starts at 1,000 rpm) which shows first tunning session to a 93 octane tune to a 104 octane tune just to give you an idea.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1Comparisson.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	164.2 KB
ID:	166357   Click image for larger version

Name:	lines connected.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	498.1 KB
ID:	166358   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tsunami whirpool.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	198.2 KB
ID:	166359   Click image for larger version

Name:	12 AN.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	167.1 KB
ID:	166360   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dyno comparison.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	229.0 KB
ID:	166361  

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-06-2012

So you've known the answer to your question since November 3, 2012. Motors been built and tuned already. What gives with this thread then?

WWW.S197FORUM.COM
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-06-2012
Apprentice

Lol, that's good stuff. Maybe he needs reassurance?
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-06-2012
SheizaSoSay

Weak sauce...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-06-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
So you've known the answer to your question since November 3, 2012. Motors been built and tuned already. What gives with this thread then?

WWW.S197FORUM.COM

I was not trying to be misleading, i was looking for other opinions because the tuner and I had various issues along the way. I was trying to judge what i should have been expecting based on what i recieved, to see if I should have anything changed, mechanically or tuning. I was not to thrilled with the guy who did the tuning and did not want to just go hey look what i did and swallow it.

The tune that made that dyno pull is already pissed down the toilet as the car is back in the shop.

Cam timing has a lot to due with it. Look at my dyno sheet. First pulls only made 544. I changed my intake a little and had to fix a couple other little things. Took it back to the tuner who spent a lot of time creating tables comparing full lock out to full VCT to come up with mine for limiters. That's where I would start. I originally had lock outs and a Livernois tune and the car was extremely SOFT! Changed to Livernois limiters and tune and not much improvement. New tuner with a coiple tweaks and the car hits like it should! Not all tuners can do the 3 valve. Correct cam timing will also drastically reduce IATs.

Should we discuss your "low" compression. What thickness head gaskets do you have? Not much else you can do there without machine work or new parts. I'm not a fan of dropping compression to "boost friendly" levels. That's crap but I also read the other thread that says you thought the motor was 9.8:1.

Next I would look at opening up the intake side all the way to the back of the compressor. You will make more boost at the same blower speed. Positive displacement blowers are VERY sensitive to inlet restrictions.

And on another note, there's probably one of us from AFM on every forum. Might make it easier for us to help you next time if you were able to word your thread in a little more straight forward manner.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page