drone inside after Hurst short throw shifter - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-06-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice

drone inside after Hurst short throw shifter

so installed my competition plus short throw shifter and almost immediately on my drive to work i noticed an increase of noise inside my car while driving. i can hear the engine from the inside differently, it doesn't sound like how it used to, it sounds different for some reason. (also when i installed the shifter i did a test drive and a 1st gear pull, when i shifted to 2nd gear, the gear didn't go in so my engine revved to about 6400-6500 just for a quick second or two till the RPM's dropped back down) don't know if that helps. when i got home, i started checking everything out and noticed that my large dust boot wasn't installed properly so i got it to sit the way its supposed to with the seal around the base of the shifter and the second seal on the floor panel and the third one where the chrome stick bolts to the shifting unit i also put the provided zip tie on there... does anyone have any suggestions? Thank you all for p input but i know for a fact it was after the shifter install

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-06-2012
PONY Member
S197 Member

did you drop the tanny support bracket when you installed it?

2008 Metallic Alloy GT Convertible Premium
Show : black top| 18" bullitt polished wheels| CDC light bar and black billet replacement grilles | black/amber corner lights | GT500 rear spoiler| AH chin spoiler
Go:
FRPP CAI with StangHi tunes | Kooks LT's | FR500 axle back | Steeda Sport springs | Koni STR.t struts/shocks | J&M camber plates | UMI adj. panhard bar | LCA relocation brackets | GT500 LCA's | Hurst Billet shifter | 3.73 gear | FRPP axle girdle | Baer Rotors and Pads
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-06-2012
PONY Member

i installed it on my 11GT but had exactly the same problems. I made sure the rubber shift boot is mounted all the way to the shifter base (you have to stretch it around the square hurst shifter base). The boot still didnt perfecty seal the opening in the console so i glued it. Finally sealed the entire inner console with thick layers of dynamat extreme. Worked perfectly. Even my old stock tranny whine cant be heard anymore.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-07-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice

no i didnt drop the tranny support bracker, i just unbolted the old shifter and dropped in the new one from the top.

by9568840--- you glued the rubber boot to the shifter and floor tunnel opening? how will you take it off in the future if you need to? what kind of glue did you use? what is dynamat extreme? and what do you mean the inner console? i was starting to worry it was just me but apparently its not just me haha so thats good
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-07-2012
PONY Member
S197 Member

I would check to see if you perhaps mistakenly cross threaded the single forward shifter monting bolt (not the linkage bolt)

2008 Metallic Alloy GT Convertible Premium
Show : black top| 18" bullitt polished wheels| CDC light bar and black billet replacement grilles | black/amber corner lights | GT500 rear spoiler| AH chin spoiler
Go:
FRPP CAI with StangHi tunes | Kooks LT's | FR500 axle back | Steeda Sport springs | Koni STR.t struts/shocks | J&M camber plates | UMI adj. panhard bar | LCA relocation brackets | GT500 LCA's | Hurst Billet shifter | 3.73 gear | FRPP axle girdle | Baer Rotors and Pads
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
drone , hurst short throw shifter , shifter drone

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page