Oil consumption? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-20-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Oil consumption?

Has anyone else here noticed oil consumption in their 3V S197? Mine just clicked 22k miles, and it seems to be using roughly a quart every thousand miles. I'm not complaining, as the motor runs very strong, but that does seem a bit excessive to me. It does see a bit of high rpm driving, maybe that is a contributing factor. I use Napa 5w20 full synthetic, if that makes a difference. Feel free to chime in!

~Mike

2009 Vista Blue GT 5 spd

Superchips Flashpaq (tuned for 93 octane),MSD Blaster Coils, BBK 62mm TB, Ford Racing CAI, Dynomax 3" axle backs, BBK Catted X, FRPP Strut Tower Brace.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-20-2012
Apprentice
5.0L Member

i personally do not have one, but 1 quart every 1k seems alot, especially for only 22k. try doing a compression and leak down test, see if u can track down the problem

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-20-2012
Rookie
S197 Member

I have a 2010 with 40k on clock I burn a quote every 5k just in time for the oil change I run royal purple oil in it. I am thinking 1qt every 1k is a sign something isn't right are you smoking ? What do your exhaust tips look like any sign on them sometime you can't notice the smoke but see signs on the exhaust tips . Good luck keep us posted

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-21-2012
PONY Member
S197 Member

That seems like a lot....the 3V is known for some blow-by but that seems like more than blow-by. There are some threads on the new Coyote 5.0 drinking oil, but not that I've seen for the 4.6.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-21-2012
SheizaSoSay

A qt per 1k miles is retarded....blow by or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-21-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice

I thought it seemed high, and i've never seen any smoke from the engine. The exhaust tips look fine, they are almost new so no soot on them yet. Might try switching to 5w30 oil and see if that makes a difference.

2009 Vista Blue GT 5 spd

Superchips Flashpaq (tuned for 93 octane),MSD Blaster Coils, BBK 62mm TB, Ford Racing CAI, Dynomax 3" axle backs, BBK Catted X, FRPP Strut Tower Brace.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-21-2012
SheizaSoSay

This is a dumb question, but you are checks your oil level when the engine is completely cold right?

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-21-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheizaSoSay View Post
This is a dumb question, but you are checks your oil level when the engine is completely cold right?

Yes, I always wait hours before checking the oil.

2009 Vista Blue GT 5 spd

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-22-2012
PONY Member

Are you sure your not overfilling it? The dipsticks on these cars are confusing, but if you over fill, it will burn oil. My 08 has 26,000 miles and doesn't use a drop. I installed a catch can last year and have yet to get a drop to pour out of it.

JLT series 3 c.a.i., detroit rocker cams, various tunes, roush front fascia w/chin spoiler.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-22-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangdave2008 View Post
Are you sure your not overfilling it? The dipsticks on these cars are confusing, but if you over fill, it will burn oil. My 08 has 26,000 miles and doesn't use a drop. I installed a catch can last year and have yet to get a drop to pour out of it.
I don't think so, but you are right the dipstick is a bit confusing. I always fill it to where the cross hatches end on the stick, not the last dot. I assume I'm doing it right?

2009 Vista Blue GT 5 spd

GT Member
S197 Member

Trade it in before its to late

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide.Com Free App
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-22-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quan Cheese View Post
Trade it in before its to late

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Ha, and by your definition, at what moment is it "too late"?

2009 Vista Blue GT 5 spd

PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 09VistaBlueGT View Post
I don't think so, but you are right the dipstick is a bit confusing. I always fill it to where the cross hatches end on the stick, not the last dot. I assume I'm doing it right?
I think you are overfilling but I'm not at home to look. Check the owners manual. One good way to see the correct fill point is after an oil change with the correct amount of oil. Run engine and after it settles down, look at where it is on your dipstick: don't fill above that level.

JLT series 3 c.a.i., detroit rocker cams, various tunes, roush front fascia w/chin spoiler.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page