2007 GT Oil Consumption Worries - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-26-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member

2007 GT Oil Consumption Worries

At 44K, I changed my oil and used six quarts of Mobil 1 5W-20 and a Mobil 1 filter.

Today, I changed my oil at 47K. I had about 5.5 quarts total in the drain pan. There has never been any blue smoke or any residue in the muffler tips. I used Castrol Syntec and a K&N filter this time.

Should I be worried? I've babied this car since buying it when it had 42K on it. The original owner always had the oil changed by a Ford dealer every 3K on average.

Jim T.
Present: 2018 Mustang GT (MT): Shadow Black

Past: 2007 Mustang GT Premium (MT), 2010 Mustang GT Premium (MT)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-26-2012

And how much was still in the filter??? I wouldnt worry about it one bit.

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-26-2012
GT Member
S197 Member

Using half a qt is nothing thats pretty normal in most cases. I know you said you baby it but if you drove it hard a few times its gonna use a little bit of oil. If you want to get rid of the problem switch to 5w30. Personally I would never run 5w20 in my 4.6 Ford only did that to advertise higher mpg. If you did a lot of highway driving during this cycle its no surprise that water like 5w20 burned off

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide.Com Free App

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-26-2012
GT Member
S197 Member

Mobil 1 is also the thinnest synthetic on the market

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-26-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
And how much was still in the filter??? I wouldnt worry about it one bit.
That 5.5 quarts included what was in the filter.

Jim T.

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-26-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quan Cheese View Post
Using half a qt is nothing thats pretty normal in most cases. I know you said you baby it but if you drove it hard a few times its gonna use a little bit of oil. If you want to get rid of the problem switch to 5w30. Personally I would never run 5w20 in my 4.6 Ford only did that to advertise higher mpg. If you did a lot of highway driving during this cycle its no surprise that water like 5w20 burned off

I've heard people talk about using 5W-30, but some have said that the 5W-20 is better for the cam phasers. If I knew that 5W-30 wouldn't hurt the cam phasers, I'd switch to it. I am always nervous about differing from what Ford specified.

Jim T.

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-27-2012
Apprentice

I wish mine only used a 1/2 quart per change, lately my 09 with 22k has been using a quart every 1000-1500 miles

2009 Vista Blue GT 5 spd

Superchips Flashpaq (tuned for 93 octane),MSD Blaster Coils, BBK 62mm TB, Ford Racing CAI, Dynomax 3" axle backs, BBK Catted X, FRPP Strut Tower Brace.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-28-2012
GT Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by green97probe View Post
I've heard people talk about using 5W-30, but some have said that the 5W-20 is better for the cam phasers. If I knew that 5W-30 wouldn't hurt the cam phasers, I'd switch to it. I am always nervous about differing from what Ford specified.
Do a search on the topic. Ford only did it to advertise higher MPG etc. My dad had a 06 gt and used nothing but 5w30 for 60k no problems. I also use it in my 04 gt which has 57k. I used to be on the 5w20 wagon myself until i did some research on the topic. Mine also used some oil but with the 30 weight its gone. I think 5w20 is okay if you drive it like a basic Camry everyday but most of stang guys push those cars so at higher rpms 5w30 will protect it better. I'm sure you will be fine with either but most do it for peace of mind. I never listen to what Ford recommends lol

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page