2006 GT fuel gauge drop - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-27-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

2006 GT fuel gauge drop

This is a recurring issue, every so often when I am driving, my fuel gauge drops to E and the petrol light comes on, after ignoring it (First time this happened, I was quite alarmed, now it is expected.). Does anyone know what is going on here? Is it a defective part, is the car trying to tell me something? I am at a loss here, I am hoping nothing goes wrong wednesday as I have to drive a long way and without money to fix any unforseen issues, it has me a bit concerned. I also hope the two tires in front make the trip as the tread is low and I cannot afford to replace them now, but that is another problem. I just need to know what this gauge drop is and if it is related to the mysterious events that I noticed in the past where the doors refused to stay locked and my radio stayed on with the door ajar and the keys in my pocket.

2006 Mustang GT (Auto) - FRSCPE1 (Farscape 1)
C&L Racer CAI with Bama tune
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-27-2012
MACH I Member
S197 Member

My dad had the same issue a few years ago with the gas gauge in his GMC Sierra. Ended up being a wiring issue somewhere, I think it was a frayed wire somewhere is the fuel level sensor if I remember correctly.

2008 Grabber Orange GT premium, 5 speed manual, 3.31s
C&L Racer CAI, Kooks LT headers and catted H pipe, MAC Boom Tubes, Diablosport Predator Tuner with AM/Bama Tunes

Heroes Live Forever
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-27-2012
Apprentice
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Gauge cluster stepper motors are defective on S197. OEM parts have been revised to replace original reference. This is a known issue on our cars. I have the same issue on my 2005 GT and sometime, the fuel gauge is indicating full while it's nearly empty or sometimes, after filling the tank, it's indicating half.
You can find repair kits on eBay and How To on Youtube. It's pretty easy to change. I will order a kit soon to change all of them.

2007 Shelby GT BV5

1989 Fox Convertible GT BV5

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-27-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Do I need to order replacement parts now, how urgent is it? I already cannot afford 2 tires for the front wheels. How much does this repair cost?

2006 Mustang GT (Auto) - FRSCPE1 (Farscape 1)
C&L Racer CAI with Bama tune
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-28-2012
Apprentice
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Garage
It's not urgent but it's up to you. The only pb, you do not have a clear visibility on your fuel gauge but if you use the daily mileage indicator with the fuel consumption, you know more or less how full is your tank.

2007 Shelby GT BV5

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-29-2012
PONY Member

I'm inclined to say it's NOT the stepper motors.

I have the stepper motor issue. On cold morning my fuel gauge will read E and won't move until I let the car warm up and then restart it. On other days it will go to 2x as full as it should read and will slowly work its way back down to normal as I cycle the car on/off.

With that said - never once has my low fuel light come on because of this. Fuel light stays off and the "miles to empty" value remains accurate. It's just a malfunction of the motor that controls the fuel gauge, but the rest of the fuel management system works fine.

I'd be more inclined to think OP's problem is either a lose connection (or short) somewhere or a fuel sending unit problem.

2005 Windveil Blue GT (MT)
93H Bama tune, JLT Series 3 CAI, FRPP CMDPs, Pype bomb super system, 3.73 gears, Steeda shift bushings, Saleen short shift block
Steeda ultralite springs, Tokiko D-specs, J&M Extreme joint UCA/LCAs, PHB, C/C plates, bumpsteer kit, Steeda Q1S wheels, 2011 GT brakes, 275/40R18 Sumi HTR Ziii tires
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-29-2012
Apprentice
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Garage
I have also heared about deposit issue on the fuel level sensor which can contaminate the mecanism and give a wrong information to the sensor. It happens once to 4 french forumers.

You an clean the connector of your gauge cluster and the connector of the fuel level sensor (right side under rear seats) with electrical connector cleaning spray. This costs nothing (spray + 10 minutes labor)

2007 Shelby GT BV5

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page