What is the 2005 Mustang GTs top speed? - Page 4 - Ford Mustang Forum
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cato86 View Post
I only have a CAI and and a programmer and I got mine up to 170 so I think 180's is possible.

I kinda doubt that..

2005 Sonic Blue Auto GT, ordered new
Procharger D1SC
Thanks JPC Racing!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubkap View Post

I kinda doubt that..

That's what my gps said I was doing. I wouldn't lie about that it would be stupid to. But it took a long time to get there.

2006 Mustang GT 5-speed w/ following mods:C&L CAI
,Steeda U/D pulleys,MSD Ignition,Brenspeed Detroit Rocker Cams, GT500 Throttle Body
Pacesetter L/T, H-pipe w/ High flow Cats, Pype Bombs Axle Back
Aluminum D/S
Ford Racing 3.73 gears
Hurst Competition Shifter 334RWHP/329RWTQ
PONY Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalSam View Post
I was coming home from a poker game last week at 12:30am and had a 5 mile stretch of wide open EMPTY freeway all to myself. Had the speedo to 140 and backed off. I have hood pins so the hood is solid. It was a definite rush :-)

I have a question. With all the talk about aerodynamics and how there's already too much air getting into the engine compartment with a stock GT front end, how much is having my CDC Classic chin spoiler screwing me? Or is it helping?
As you go faster the air actually starts to stagnate in the front and build up a bubble. That becomes drag. The air has to go somewhere and will take the easy way out. A bunch goes under the car. Your chin spoiler, if designed correctly will stop a portion of the air from exiting under the car. That helps keep the front end down. All in all aero around a high speed object is pretty complicated. If we could shape the front like a bullet and spin it we would have way less drag.

As we all know three things limit max speed in an ungoverned car. Power, Aerodynamics and gear ratios. I guess the fourth is how big your foot is. G

05GT, 09 GT500 Drivetrain, 2.6 pulley, JLT intake, 18x9.5 GT500 wheels, 14" Brembos, 2014 rear brakes, 14 cooling fan, Cortex racing Koni Coilovers, Cortex Watts Link BMR:K-Member, Tube rad support, adj upper third link, rear relo brackets,JBA long tubes and catted mid pipe, Stillen adj front & rear sway bars, Bump steer kit, Steeda shifter, Spydershaft Aluminum DS.
John Lund tune, 568 rwhp, 560 tq.

Apprentice
S197 Member

Allegedly managed 146 according to the GPS with the speedo pegged on a lonely road in Nevada Thursday. Held it while the GF tried to take a pic fo the GPS. But with the stock ride height and no chin spoiler I got nervous when I felt her floating a bit so I backed off. I was quite impressed. I figured I'd need to use 4th but I didn't. She made it all that wat in 5th.

------------------------------------
Brent
Mr Pepsi
07 GT Black on Black
+K&N Filter, +Mac Axle Back Exhaust
+Koni Sport adjustable shocks
+H&K Springs, +Eiback front and rear Sways
+++FUN
Shelby Gt 350 member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cato86 View Post
That's what my gps said I was doing. I wouldn't lie about that it would be stupid to. But it took a long time to get there.
Your GPS is broken then. I have topped my car out stock, with the blower (450hp), with the blower and a GT500 front end with a belly pan under the front of the car and I could hardly touch 170mph with the blower and GT front end.

I spend a lot of time going 180+mph (once a lap at some tracks) and at some tracks like Daytona and Road America run it up to the 193-195mph range. I assure you I am well versed in those sort of speeds, comfortable doing them and more than aware of what it takes to do them in regards to equipment. 170mph is very, very fast for a car. And the GT front end with no belly pan is about as aerodynamic as a barn.

Waiting on 2019 GT500

2012 GT Vert Brembo - Stock-ish

2012 F-150 FX4 EcoBoost 4x4 406rwhp/522rwtq. The most powerful EB F-150 on the planet?

2007 GT-TSR/Stops/Turns/Custom Everything/3.4L Whipple Crusher/1000hp SOLD
BOSS Member

Garage
I had to quit breaking the Sound Barrier with my car because the back window keeps getting loose.

Shadow Black 2018 GT 10R80-355
GT Member

I reached 155 mph on the front stretch of LV Motor Speedway and 170 at Fontana in Winston West cars (or whatever they call them nowadays).

The LV laps scared me sh1tless, while the Fontana laps were like a Sunday cruise except for this bigass dip right before turn four.

That being said, those cars launched out of the pits and reached speed like nothing I've experienced. Unforgettable memories thanks to Richard Petty.
I got to drive the pace car for a few students...rode with the pros for other guests of mine.

And I can tell you there's no way even a mildly modified Mustang could have kept pace. It would have taken something like sqidd's race car...

2005 Sonic Blue Auto GT, ordered new
Procharger D1SC
Thanks JPC Racing!
Shelby Gt 350 member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thereaper View Post
I had to quit breaking the Sound Barrier with my car because the back window keeps getting loose.
You can prevent that by rolling your windows up.

Waiting on 2019 GT500

2012 F-150 FX4 EcoBoost 4x4 406rwhp/522rwtq. The most powerful EB F-150 on the planet?

BOSS Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sqidd View Post
You can prevent that by rolling your windows up.
I'll give that a try and thanks for bringing Max back.

Shadow Black 2018 GT 10R80-355
Rookie

People have been saying governed to 152 since many years ago but hood shaking at 135? I've had mine at 135 and the hood doesn't shake and yeah it steers quick at that speed so you can make sure it goes straight. I wasn't scared when I was going that fast in it. It is smooth and quick. I didn't even get disturbed when I flew over a bump at that speed. When the car got back on the ground that quick handling made it very easy for me to control the car.

Will I go at these speeds again? probably not unless I go to a raceway. there is really no need to.
Shelby Gt 350 member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amptor View Post
there is really no need to.
My brain seems to think there is.:hihi:

Stupid brain (Home Simpson voice)

Waiting on 2019 GT500

Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqidd View Post
Your GPS is broken then. I have topped my car out stock, with the blower (450hp), with the blower and a GT500 front end with a belly pan under the front of the car and I could hardly touch 170mph with the blower and GT front end.

I spend a lot of time going 180+mph (once a lap at some tracks) and at some tracks like Daytona and Road America run it up to the 193-195mph range. I assure you I am well versed in those sort of speeds, comfortable doing them and more than aware of what it takes to do them in regards to equipment. 170mph is very, very fast for a car. And the GT front end with no belly pan is about as aerodynamic as a barn.
I will not argue that at all. I thought that it maybe off just because that is really fast. Who knows what i was really doing because when i let off it took about 2.5 secs for the needle to start moving back down from the 145 it shows

2006 Mustang GT 5-speed w/ following mods:C&L CAI
,Steeda U/D pulleys,MSD Ignition,Brenspeed Detroit Rocker Cams, GT500 Throttle Body
Pacesetter L/T, H-pipe w/ High flow Cats, Pype Bombs Axle Back
Aluminum D/S
Ford Racing 3.73 gears
Hurst Competition Shifter 334RWHP/329RWTQ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page