What is a re-flash? - Ford Mustang Forum
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-20-2005 Thread Starter

What is a re-flash?

Can someone tell me what a re-flash is and why you would have to have it done? Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-20-2005
S197 Member

Hey 05BlackV6, reflashing the computer is needed when adding mods to your motor. Actually, some folks are reporting gains when reflashing the computer without adding any mods. Ford loaded a safe tune in the car but with minor tweaking 5-10hp is pretty easy on the stock car.

For instance, when adding a cold air intake (which flows more air into the motor) it is important to adjust the Air/Fuel ratio because with all the extra air flowing in the motor, would run lean. Lean meaning more air then fuel and Rich meaning more fuel than air.

Reflashing is accomplished by using haldheld programmers like the SCT Xcalibrator and Diablo Predator. Most mod websites can sell you there mods and one of the reflashing units with tunes preloaded. So all you have to do is throw on the mods, hook up the programmer to your OBD II port (under dash/steering wheel) and load the program. Hope this helps!

Adam

post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-21-2005
Apprentice

Good answer Adam

2005 Mustang GT - 520+rwhp
Built 3v w/ P&P heads & custom cams | ProCharger 13# Boost | JBA Cat4ward Shorties | Basanni X Pipe & Mufflers.
Automatic | 4:10 Gears
Custom Paint & Body Mods

Before built motor: 11.9 @ 116.99. Goal: 11.2-11.5 on built motor.

Built Motor by: Houston Performance | Tuned by: PSI Motorsports
Paint by: Chaotic Rods & Customs| Homepage: My Mustang Page

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-21-2005
PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Reflashing

What happens if all you do is disconnect the battery cable for 30 minutes to make it "relearn?" Will this improve things? I assume the programming parameters stay the same, but will making the computer "relearn" help in any situations?

2005 Windveil Blue V-6, Man. Trans, GT Dual exh. and mufflers, FRPP X-pipe, JBA shorty headers, CA Spec X-Charger 3.0, XXtuning tune, throttle body coolant bypass, 180 F thermostat, Moss Mustang Oil Cooler, GT 18" Fanblades, SSI Ducktail Spoiler, CDC chin spoiler, FRPP strut tower brace, FRPP lowering springs, FRPP struts and shocks, GT front and rear sway bars, GT front brakes, GT 8.8" rearend, Shaftmasters aluminum driveshaft, Stewart Warner boost gauge in Roush vent pod. 275 rwhp, 294 rwtq.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-21-2005
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnewport
What happens if all you do is disconnect the battery cable for 30 minutes to make it "relearn?" Will this improve things? I assume the programming parameters stay the same, but will making the computer "relearn" help in any situations?
It will not improve performance, just re-learn throttle positision, shift points, etc. If you are thinking that it will help, na

-Bryan

2005 Mustang GT - 520+rwhp
Built 3v w/ P&P heads & custom cams | ProCharger 13# Boost | JBA Cat4ward Shorties | Basanni X Pipe & Mufflers.
Automatic | 4:10 Gears
Custom Paint & Body Mods

Before built motor: 11.9 @ 116.99. Goal: 11.2-11.5 on built motor.

Built Motor by: Houston Performance | Tuned by: PSI Motorsports
Paint by: Chaotic Rods & Customs| Homepage: My Mustang Page
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-21-2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnewport
The engine control software has some adaptive mechanisms that monitor your vehicle performance continuously. It looks at things like atmospheric pressure and temperature and the various sensors on the vehicle. It calculates adjustment factors for zeroing sensors by cross checking them and also calibration factors for items like the electronic throttle and the fuel system. Manufacturing tolerances mean that all these types of components can vary slightly in their performance. They also change over time as they wear. All of these factors are saved non-volatile ram in the engine controller and used to adjust the engine control. This way the computer can maintain nominal performance, fuel efficiency and emmisions. Disconnecting the battery restores these to factory defaults. If you just keep driving the learning parameters will eventually adjust themselves to any changing conditions. None of this will provide you any significant increase in performance.

For performance increases you need to actually re-calibrate the software and change hard-coded values. For this you need some sort of programming tool and knowledge of what addresses to change and by how much.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-21-2005
Apprentice

Ditto to Sam above. If you do choose to "Tune" or tweek the factory computer settings, use a good quality aftermarket tuner such as the DiabloSport Predator (DSP) or the SCT Xcalibrator. I recently used the DSP with the 86 Octane Performance tune. I saw a big difference in the overall performance and smoothness of the engine. I had a bit of valve train clatter that has virtually gone away. The 4.6 Modular engine has a lot of noise from the various components in the OHC design. I knew there was a bit of slop in the factory computer settings, but was amazed at the improvement the re-tune did for drivability. There is a bit of a lag in the electronic throttle (not as noticeable in the 5 spd Man though), but there is virtually none now. Overall, I would recommend doing this.

If you are going to make any performance modifications to your car, then you will have to re-tune the computer to account for these changes. This includes any intake mods like a cold air intake, charge motion control valve plates, etc or exhaust mods like headers, free flowing exhaust systems (Borla, JBA, Magnaflow, etc), etc. Before anyone shouts Waranty issues, talk to your dealer's Service Advisor as to your their policy on after market performance parts and computer tuners. My dealer has no issues with this and they have to prove it caused a problem with your car. There is a lot written on this throughout this forum, so research it before you do it and don't take our word totally on what you should or should not do since we are making a choice for ourselves to make more of our cars.

There are a lot of improvements you can make in the new Mustang, but research it out and read this and other forums to find out what others are doing. We can help you out, but research, research, research before you do anything to your car. Many of us do know a lot and are good sources of what to do and not to do. I for one know just enough to be dangerous! Aahhh..ha...ha...ha...haaaaa....

"Safety Fast"

"Safety Fast"

2008 Bullitt, #0546, Black
2005 GT Coupe, Performance White
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-21-2005 Thread Starter

Thanks for all of the information!
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-22-2005
SHELBY GT 350 Member
S197 Member

I'm too tired to read all the text above but from what I read it's all correct! I wanted to add that if you ONLY change the after cats part on your exhaust the battery pole remove reset is fine. But the 20 engine HPs will be stuck in there. So, $400 for an axleback and 5 RWHPs or $400 for a tuner (and remove the intake tube filter for free) and get 15-20 RWHP... or do both for power (up to 30 RWHPs), economy, trottle reponse, better running, and awesome tunes... :hihi:

KJ, poorer but happier

Thanks to:
Modular Depot
Fox Lake Racing
Tunable Induction
Power House 411
Sun Coast Creations
PONY Member
Classic Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

SCT or Factory reflash

While at the Ford shop, I asked about the different tuners available. Since I am just adding the CAI and new axle back exhaust the guy said to just bring it in and for $40.00 he would flash it for me.

Is there any reason I need to own one, I am not going to keep adjusting it nor am I into racing on Friday nights and cruising on Sat. Just looking for a little better HP and sound.

2007 Mustang GT - Premium
2010 4.6L 3V modified engine, Modular Mustang Racing CAI, Ford Racing Intake Manifold, Ford Racing Hot Rod Camshaft, Steeda Under Drive Pully, Pypes Long tube headers with X pipe, FRPP Borla Stingers Exhaust, Ford Racing Handling Pack, McLeod Clutch/Flywheel.
343.6 HP 320.5 Torque
Classic Member
S197 Member

Send a message via Yahoo to stlwagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLBeeler View Post
While at the Ford shop, I asked about the different tuners available. Since I am just adding the CAI and new axle back exhaust the guy said to just bring it in and for $40.00 he would flash it for me.

Is there any reason I need to own one, I am not going to keep adjusting it nor am I into racing on Friday nights and cruising on Sat. Just looking for a little better HP and sound.
If you don't plan on doing anything further with it, that would be fine..

1965 Mustang Coupe
Apprentice

Quote:

No tune adjustment is required for new axle backs.

You state that you are adding a CAI, in this case you will need to have the car dyno'd to adjust the Mass Air Flow Transfer Function. Unless of coarse, the Ford shop already has the function values for the CAI you are installing then they just plug those values into the function table.

Anytime the air flow into the engine is change away from stock, the MAFT must be adjusted, if not you could find your engine running lean and CEL's will be displayed.

I would suggest that you purchase your CAI and Tuner (complete with custom tune) from one of the forum vendors. (about $600 - $800) not bad for a 25rwhp gain.

2005 Mustang GT Automatic Screaming Yellow
WMS 80mm HV Intake W/ Ram Hood
SCTuning by John and Matt - Mustang Muscle Performance
93 Octane Race and transmission tune
Saleen Stainless Steel UDP's, BMR Front Sway Delete, BMR "K" member and "A" arms
PH Aluminum DS, Steeda LCA's, Steeda UCA
FRPP 3.73 Gears, IMCO Extreme Axle Back Exhaust
Classic Member
S197 Member

Is this the Ford CAI that's being installed?

1965 Mustang Coupe
PONY Member
Classic Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Looking at the Steeda 90 MM CAI right now. Which I believe is part of the Ford Performance Package so they should have it.

2007 Mustang GT - Premium
2010 4.6L 3V modified engine, Modular Mustang Racing CAI, Ford Racing Intake Manifold, Ford Racing Hot Rod Camshaft, Steeda Under Drive Pully, Pypes Long tube headers with X pipe, FRPP Borla Stingers Exhaust, Ford Racing Handling Pack, McLeod Clutch/Flywheel.
343.6 HP 320.5 Torque
Classic Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Looking at the Steeda 90 MM CAI right now. Which I believe is part of the Ford Performance Package so they should have it.
If Ford has a calibration for it, that'll work fine...

1965 Mustang Coupe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page