Getting frustrated with my dealer, Ford, etc...and I have my car! - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-07-2005 Thread Starter
S197 Member

Getting frustrated with my dealer, Ford, etc...and I have my car!

Just venting here to a hopefully sympathetic group of folks...

had my 05 GT since December, and only 2600 miles later I am more frustrated with it than i have been with any other car i have owned. it's been the dealer 5 times for service--and NONE of the problems have been resolved.

visit 1 for popping suspension, problem only 'heard' after i ask the dealer to follow the following very complication instructions: 'get in car, turn wheel slowly side to side, and turn down radio enough to actually hear'.

between visit 1 and 2...discover that dealer didn't remove the rear or front bumper adhesive used to hold on the shipping guard plastic-stuff. spend an afternoon with a claybar removing that and the baked on rail dust.

visit 2 for popping suspension. dealer fixes WRONG SIDE of car, doesn't check to verify fix. popping happens on way out of dealer. illegal u-turn it right back...dealer admits 'i guess our guys can't tell the difference between right and left'

visit 3 for popping suspension--everything works and seems great

visit 4 for popping suspension and gas tank. car starts popping about two weeks after visit 3. dealer keeps car, informs me ford is working on problem and orders gas tank. As far as I can tell, the car was never actually examined (i demonstrated the popping in the lot to their satisfaction), but did accumulates 6 miles somehow. After leaving dealer, clutch is very jumpy...the same way it is after doing a few burnouts. call dealer "our guys don't do that sort of thing".

visit 5 is monday for gas tank. 1 month AFTER ordering it at visit 4. and i hear now through the message boards that the new tank may not fix the problem.

visit 6 for popping suspension...whenever Ford gets around to releasing the fix.

I sit here with a car that's front suspension sounds like a popcorn maker, a gas tank that requires the nozzle to be placed at a precise 43 degree angle and squeezed at 58% capacity in order to fill the tank with overpriced, over-refined california gas, and a radio that rejects just about any home burned MP3 CD. (dealer answer: you shouldn't use home made MP3 CD's---anyone know where i can buy pre-burned MP3 CD's??? didn't think so)

I understand that neither Ford nor my dealer are solely to blame for the problems, but it becomes harder and harder to make that payment at the end of the month knowing that i still don;t have a car that actually works like a new car.

i am sooooooo frustrated right now. This car absolutely rocks otherwise, and I know that there are a lot of people out there still waiting for them.

sometimes, i wish i could just sell the damn thing and buy a car that actually works right the first time, or even the second. of course, when i easily beat a ricer, i do love it.

just venting. thanks for reading.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-07-2005
Apprentice
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by karazuba
Just venting here to a hopefully sympathetic group of folks...

had my 05 GT since December, and only 2600 miles later I am more frustrated with it than i have been with any other car i have owned. it's been the dealer 5 times for service--and NONE of the problems have been resolved.

visit 1 for popping suspension, problem only 'heard' after i ask the dealer to follow the following very complication instructions: 'get in car, turn wheel slowly side to side, and turn down radio enough to actually hear'.

between visit 1 and 2...discover that dealer didn't remove the rear or front bumper adhesive used to hold on the shipping guard plastic-stuff. spend an afternoon with a claybar removing that and the baked on rail dust.

visit 2 for popping suspension. dealer fixes WRONG SIDE of car, doesn't check to verify fix. popping happens on way out of dealer. illegal u-turn it right back...dealer admits 'i guess our guys can't tell the difference between right and left'

visit 3 for popping suspension--everything works and seems great

visit 4 for popping suspension and gas tank. car starts popping about two weeks after visit 3. dealer keeps car, informs me ford is working on problem and orders gas tank. As far as I can tell, the car was never actually examined (i demonstrated the popping in the lot to their satisfaction), but did accumulates 6 miles somehow. After leaving dealer, clutch is very jumpy...the same way it is after doing a few burnouts. call dealer "our guys don't do that sort of thing".

visit 5 is monday for gas tank. 1 month AFTER ordering it at visit 4. and i hear now through the message boards that the new tank may not fix the problem.

visit 6 for popping suspension...whenever Ford gets around to releasing the fix.

I sit here with a car that's front suspension sounds like a popcorn maker, a gas tank that requires the nozzle to be placed at a precise 43 degree angle and squeezed at 58% capacity in order to fill the tank with overpriced, over-refined california gas, and a radio that rejects just about any home burned MP3 CD. (dealer answer: you shouldn't use home made MP3 CD's---anyone know where i can buy pre-burned MP3 CD's??? didn't think so)

I understand that neither Ford nor my dealer are solely to blame for the problems, but it becomes harder and harder to make that payment at the end of the month knowing that i still don;t have a car that actually works like a new car.

i am sooooooo frustrated right now. This car absolutely rocks otherwise, and I know that there are a lot of people out there still waiting for them.

sometimes, i wish i could just sell the damn thing and buy a car that actually works right the first time, or even the second. of course, when i easily beat a ricer, i do love it.

just venting. thanks for reading.
It's OK to vent, but it sounds like you need to take your car to another dealer's service dept as the service you describe sounds like a bunch of buffoons.

X planned Redfire GT premium 5-speed manual, IUP, ICAP, Side airbags, Active anti-theft, wheel locks..ordered 2/6, pulled for production 2/24, VIN # on 3/18, build date of 3/24...delivered from plant to my dealer on 3/25.....one day after it was built.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-07-2005
Apprentice

Man! I'm going to my dealer for the 1st time next week to address a few issues with my car; it is an event that I have been resisting as long as possible. It's funny, but graphicguy and I pretty much have had their cars about the same amount of time and have almost presisely the same amount of miles. I too, am taking the car in to have the 'popping noise' checked out in the front right end which I experience while turning slowly whether in reverse or drive.

I'm also going to have the Shaker 500 radio checked; but, I'm not sure what the protocol is going to be with this. The CD skipping is an intermittent problem; therefore, the dealer may not be able to verify the problem. So, what will happen? Do I insist that the radio be replaced or do I accept some 'cocka-manie' excuse from them?

I also want them to listen for the subtle whine I experience from the rearend at speeds between 45 - 55 MPH. I've read on the forum where guys have had their rearends replaced or had the lubricant replaced with something call 'whale sperm'?

All in all, I'm not looking forward to any experience as noted by graphicguy and I hope my dealer has got his stuff together. I called the service manager in advance and made the appointment with him. I talked with him awhile and explained what some of my concerns were and he understood (hopefully). He also expressed his concern about car owners who know about certain TSB's and bring their cars in (even though they may not be experiencing any problems) just to have parts replaced. I for one are not one of those people. I'm only having some concerns checked. I would rather leave the car alone.

Really, the biggest concerns are the popping noise and rearend whine. If the dealer cannot produce any TSBs on these two issues, I'll be damned if I'm going to let him experiment on my car just for the sake of keeping his mechanics busy and getting reimbursement from Ford.

I still believe the new Mustang is a well engineered and built car. On top of that, it's a blast to drive. I love the car!.

Prev. owned: '65 Coupe, '84 GT, '86 LX w/ 5.0, & '05 GT Prem.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-07-2005
xxp
S197 Member

karazuba:

I sympathize with you. I've got the popping, floor vent and gas tank issue, so I'm picking up what you're layin down, and I'm *fanatical* about the proper operation of my car, *especially* a new car. After all, we paid a price to drive these things, so they should work properly....

H O W E V E R

Ford has acknowledged the popping issue, the vent issue, and the gas tank issue. Of the three, there is only one that they have a 'fix' for--the gas tank. So here's my suggestion:

Go out and enjoy your car for a while. Don't worry too much about these issues. None of them are serious enough to warrant a recall. At most, they're annoying. You have a 3 year warranty. Let the dealers *learn* how to fix this stuff on other people's cars, then when all the fixes are in, mature, and the dealers have practiced up getting these issues fixed, and when the 'newness' has worn off some--then take your car in and get it ALL done in one shot. Instead of trip after trip and day after day without your ride, you're in, you're out, it's fixed.

Ford KNOWS about these problems, and they will fix them. Remember, you bought a first year car. Anybody will tell you that while you get the first GT on the block, you also get to be in the group that helps the model get its sea legs so our upcoming 06 friends don't have to....but then you're a charter member of S197 owners, and they won't be. :hihi:

PS Find a new Ford Dealer. I know what you mean on the clutch post burnout feel. I'd have a hard time believing anybody who made the blanket statement "our guys don't do that". How the HELL would he know? It's not like the techs are going to come back and say, "boss, you shoulda seen the pair of stripes I laid in front of the Chevy dealer!!!!" Laying a stripe is one thing, telling me you didn't do it is another.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-08-2005

Sorry you are having all the problems that with your new car. If it makes you feel any better, I am having the same problem with the popping noise in the front end of my 2005 GT also. My dealer actually took my car in for 2 days and then call me and said they had the problem solved. I was disapointed to discover that they didn't even attempt to work on the car and simple documented it as waiting on a fix from Ford. Personnally, I think Ford is waiting for sales to cool off a bit before doing a recall. Recalls are not good for sales I guess. Let me know If your dealer actually found out why the front is poping when turning and where the noise is actually coming from. I am also very frustrated with this noise!

Lonny
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-28-2006
Rookie
4.6L Member

"I understand that neither Ford nor my dealer are solely to blame for the problems, but it becomes harder and harder to make that payment at the end of the month knowing that i still don;t have a car that actually works like a new car.''

Yes they are. You paid good hard earned money for that car and it should work correctly. Dont feel bad for the dealer or Ford. Make them stand behind their product
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-28-2006
SHELBY GT 500 Member

Garage
Either I have the best built, problem-free 2005 Mustang GT or I do not drive my car enough. I have followed many of the complaints and defects with the Mustang over the last year and a half (gas tank, popping suspension, Shaker 500/1000 issues, seat cover issues, and etc), and I must say, I have yet to expereince any of these problems. Now, granted, I have upgraded many things, such as the suspension, so maybe the upgrades resolved some of these issues. All of my problems have bee with upgrades or mods (hood issue, ducktail fiasco, window tinting scratches, etc). Maybe I just do not drive my car often or hard enough to discover these issues.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-28-2006
Apprentice
S197 Member

Let me know when you find those factory burned MP3's too funny! My unit would skip occasionally when playing. I found out it was two things: 1 the quality of the disc and the amount of data on the disc. But I found if I played the disc through once the skipping was gone. Just turn the volume down other wise you'll go crazy.

The popping noise seams to be an easy fix and is the result of the upper strut bushing needing to be replaced, as it was for me. I also had some rear end noise with turned out to be the rear clutches. There is a TSB on both of these items.

"Don't cuss American Cars with food in your mouth"
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-28-2006
S197 Member

There's a TSB out for the problem you more than likely currently have. It needs a new clutch pack. The ones in tranny are made of Carbon Fiber and causes a popping or grinding sound when you turn at low speeds. I had the same issue that was resolved yesterday at my dealership.

Hey guys

First post to this site after following it for a few months. I just purchased my ninth mustang a 2006 Mustang GT. Only thing I have done so far is lower it.

I'm a Service Director for three luxury line dealerships and hopefully can give you my view point on this topic.

In order to replace something under warranty a dealer has to duplicate the clients concern or there has to be an open recall on it. Bulletins are a little different. Bulletins are only performed if a clients concern is directly related to that bulletin. Not assuming that your problem doesn't exist but if my departments were to start throwing parts at squeak and rattles that our clients state are there but we were unable to duplicate, then a lot of dealers would be on the manfacturers hit list.

Our ultimate goal is to keep our clients happy. Unfortunately there are a lot of dealers out there that have bad personnel and will not treat you or your vehicle as an individual. I agree with the above poster in bringing your vehicle to another ford dealership. If that doesn't work you need to contact fords client service department.

It is well known that domestics have very bad customer service when it comes to their service departments and what they will cover under warranty. I wouldn't exactly go in there and demand that your parts be replaced because most of time you will get nowhere. Contact someone of authority even if it is only the general manager and explain to them your concern. The gm should be concerned because his goal is to keep your next vehicle purchase coming from him.

Good luck
Apprentice
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob1

It is well known that domestics have very bad customer service when it comes to their service departments and what they will cover under warranty. Good luck

Congratulations on your new Mustang. Since you are in the Automobile Service business I'm very disappointed in your BLANKET statement regarding domestic service departments. Especially since you work for the FOREIGN competition. Cheap shot.

"Don't cuss American Cars with food in your mouth"
ski
GT Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanMustang

Congratulations on your new Mustang. Since you are in the Automobile Service business I'm very disappointed in your BLANKET statement regarding domestic service departments. Especially since you work for the FOREIGN competition. Cheap shot.
+1

My 05 Mustang GT has been to the dealer 3 times, and each time they courteously fixed the problem:
1) Sticking parking brake - replaced parking brake cables
2) Hesitation after a long cruise - replaced fuel pump
3) Water leak in trunk - resealed rear window
GT Member
S197 Member

What?? A Ford dealer service department with poor service? I can't believe that!

I hope you picked up on my sarcasm. In general, I've found Ford service departments give extremely poor service. In fact, they piss me off every time I go in so I just don't go anymore. That's how bad they suck.

Gee, Ford, having financial difficulties? Try treating your customers better and maybe they will come back and buy more cars. IDIOTS!

2005 Mustang GT with 300 ci 04 Cobra iron block, Kenne Bell 2.6l twin screw, P&P S3 Heads, SS valves, Comp S3 cams, Currie 9+ 9" rear end and DS, Hurst shifter, BMR K-member, A-arms, LCAs & UCA, JBA long tubes & mid-pipe, Accel COPs, Dual GT500 fuel pumps, much more...
670 RWHP, 640Tq @ 16 psi & 6400 RPM

-----------
and a radio that rejects just about any home burned MP3 CD. (dealer answer: you shouldn't use home made MP3 CD's---anyone know where i can buy pre-burned MP3 CD's??? didn't think so)
------------

I had the same problem untill I chose UDF102 and Joliet Bridge file structure while burning. No trouble since, except for an occasional skip. It's discussed on a thread out there somewhere. Good luck with your car.
PONY Member
S197 Member

Send a message via Yahoo to nbk13nw
I had the same issues but fixed them myself. Well, one at least!

Front end poping noise: I found that the nuts on the control arms that mount to the upper strut assembly were not torqued correctly. A little tightening and it has not "popped" in over 20K miles.

Rear End Whine: I had to take it to the dealer for this one. It was so loud that you could not hold a normal conversation above 50mph in 5th gear. They found that the backlash was not set properly at the factory. A new ring gear, shims, bearing and gear set resolved that issue. ALready put another 12K on that and not a peep.

Sitting at 43K miles and everything is purring like a kitten...

2005 GT, Flowmaster, SCT, JLT CAI, Eibach, Baer, FRPP Struts / Dampers, FRPP Deletes, FRPP 4.10's, TA Girdle, BBK UDP's, J&M Upper Link/Lower Control Arms, FRPP GT 500 Front Control Arms, Hurst short throw, Foose / BFG FDW's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page