Ford Mustang Forum banner

Exhaust Question

2K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  StangMe 
#1 ·
so Ive read several of the other exhaust threads on here, but didnt really find my answer, I love the old 70's muscle car sound, I know that the X pipe will give me the raspy sound and the H is closer to the older sound, I need cats where I live, I really want to get the BBK LT headers, but they only have shorty X pipes for that.

My question is this: the old muscle cars (as far as i can remember, I could be wrong) had two pipes right out the back, no H, no cats, if I did that on my mustang would that give me more of the old sound? if I got the BBK LT headers, I was thinking of taking it to a shop and having them make custom pipes with no H to fit the LT headers and just having them put the cats in too, will I get the sound I want? or do the cats kill it?

#4 ·
I think H pipe with high flow cats is what you're looking for. Straight piping with no cats will be ridiculously loud...unless that's what you're looking for. But even if you add cats to straight pipes I think the h pipe will def be deeper in tone. But I do think shorty H pipes are hard to come by since x pipes are more popular...so you might have a hard time finding the "right" one.

I say, go H pipe since it'll give a deeper growl than straight pipes which is what you're looking for. Look into high flow cats since you need emissions (but I think I read somewhere on these forums that you'll still fail emissions because a tune for high flow cats turns off rear O2 sensors which could throw check engine lights or some crap).

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#6 ·
chambered mufflers with an H-Pipe will make it sound deep and mean probably the sound your looking for.

Do you want the most power outta your Stang or sound? You will pick up a few more with an X pipe over an H-Pipe. I have LM1s with a catted x pipe on my 04 GT and it is very deep

#7 ·
I say, go H pipe since it'll give a deeper growl than straight pipes which is what you're looking for. Look into high flow cats since you need emissions (but I think I read somewhere on these forums that you'll still fail emissions because a tune for high flow cats turns off rear O2 sensors which could throw check engine lights or some crap).

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App[/QUOTE]

This is correct. I had a nightmare situation when my car was still a daily driver and I through on LT headers and high flow cats. The high flow cats, in Harrisburg area PA anyways, will NOT pass emissions, the car's system will read "Not ready" and fail emissions. So i quickly bought a set of shorties and an x-pipe, car was past due inspection at this point, installed them with stock cats and got it to pass. Please be aware if you are going with LT's with high flow the car needs to be under 5,000 miles a year (again near harrisburg PA that is) and it will be emissions exempt :bigthumbsup

#9 ·

This is correct. I had a nightmare situation when my car was still a daily driver and I through on LT headers and high flow cats. The high flow cats, in Harrisburg area PA anyways, will NOT pass emissions, the car's system will read "Not ready" and fail emissions. So i quickly bought a set of shorties and an x-pipe, car was past due inspection at this point, installed them with stock cats and got it to pass. Please be aware if you are going with LT's with high flow the car needs to be under 5,000 miles a year (again near harrisburg PA that is) and it will be emissions exempt :bigthumbsup[/QUOTE]

Cars driven under 5k a year are exempt? Is that only for PA?

#8 ·
thank god i live in northern cali where i only have to smog my car....never..

#10 ·
I love the sound of my car with the H-pipe and Aerochambers...should sound awesome once I get my headers buttoned up :)

#11 ·
[/quote]

This is correct. I had a nightmare situation when my car was still a daily driver and I through on LT headers and high flow cats. The high flow cats, in Harrisburg area PA anyways, will NOT pass emissions, the car's system will read "Not ready" and fail emissions. So i quickly bought a set of shorties and an x-pipe, car was past due inspection at this point, installed them with stock cats and got it to pass. Please be aware if you are going with LT's with high flow the car needs to be under 5,000 miles a year (again near harrisburg PA that is) and it will be emissions exempt :bigthumbsup[/quote]

Same way in the Philly area. So it will be shorties with high flow cats for me.... (No freaking way I can drive only 5000/year.)

#12 ·
I have Pypes LT headers with hi-flow cats H-Pipe and Pypes Violator muffler. They sound awesome. Add the Detroit Rocker cams like I did and you have awesome old school sound. I get tons of compliments on my exhaust all the time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.