Ford Mustang Forum banner

manual clutch sound?

3K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  greatgro 
#1 ·
Sometimes if I let out of the clutch too fast, I'll here a clicking or clunking sound. Usually. just happens when I let out of the clutch fast. Any1 else experience this? I'm guessing this is just a normal sound from the clutch.

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?:gringreen

#2 · (Edited)
Uh Huh...

Yeah, I get that too. I keep having heart failure evertime I hear it after all the stories of struts and stuff.:eyebulge:

I hope it's just driveline noise, like the driveshaft and stuff loading up, since it only happens for me on a sloppy shift. There's always a slight amount of slack in the gears, etc, etc. I can't say I've noticed it under REALLY hard, WOT acceleration shifts, but then what can you hear over the engine and tire squalling? :evillol: :gringreen

Anybody else have any thoughts?

#3 ·
Yeah, it doesn't sound like bad noise. I think it's just my paranoia that it is something wrong with all the TSBs I have read over the past few months.

#4 ·
tw0scoops123 said:
Sometimes if I let out of the clutch too fast, I'll here a clicking or clunking sound. Usually. just happens when I let out of the clutch fast. Any1 else experience this? I'm guessing this is just a normal sound from the clutch.

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?:gringreen
I have this ticking noise also. Only mine does this when releasing the clutch very slowly with low rpms. I think the noise we hear is the fingers in the pressure plate. Don't think it is a problem. Knocking on wood right now...

#5 ·
Anyone else have the clunking sound?

#7 ·
DENVER05GT said:
I have this ticking noise also. Only mine does this when releasing the clutch very slowly with low rpms. I think the noise we hear is the fingers in the pressure plate. Don't think it is a problem. Knocking on wood right now...
I have a similar light noise under low rpm 1st 2nd gear shifting. It sounds kind of mean though, like the car is pissed out you for shifting like a panzy lol.

I kind of like it.

#8 ·
yep get it a lot when i'm having a little fun and poppin the clutch, all it is is what ultraclyde said the transmission loading up under a bit of pressure no big deal. If you watch nascar or ever go to a race its the exact same sound as when there shifting under caution. Brings a smile to my face everytime i do it! but your right nice slow deliberate shifts and you shouldnt here it. Don't worry bout all those TSBs and people bxxxxing on here about how big a piece of crud ford made by throwing this thing together. Its a great car and you've got a warrenty drive it till it breaks and have em fix it but for most of us we got a flawless car that performs like a dream!!!

#9 ·
txjunebug said:
yep get it a lot when i'm having a little fun and poppin the clutch, all it is is what ultraclyde said the transmission loading up under a bit of pressure no big deal. If you watch nascar or ever go to a race its the exact same sound as when there shifting under caution. Brings a smile to my face everytime i do it! but your right nice slow deliberate shifts and you shouldnt here it. Don't worry bout all those TSBs and people bxxxxing on here about how big a piece of crud ford made by throwing this thing together. Its a great car and you've got a warrenty drive it till it breaks and have em fix it but for most of us we got a flawless car that performs like a dream!!!
I'm glad to hear that :)

#10 ·
I don't know... all cars sound different, but these sound like pretty normal manual driveline noises to me. You know, gear backlash and such. Mine makes these same noises, but I've never given it a second thought. If you want a silent car, get an automatic, or better yet, a Lexus. If you want fun, enjoy your Mustang!

#11 ·
Yep. Got it too. Like others say: it's mainly sloppy shifting in 1 & 2; but damn it sounds awful . . . like lots of play somewhere in the drive train. OK if you keep it loaded. I'll get the dealer to check for play in trans & rear end later in the summer. I'm sure this is not the suspension "popping" disease that the early 05my had. Although I've only been driving her less than a month, I haven't noticed any other problems. Here's to a great car :drink: .

#12 ·
I also have the same sound when changing gear quickly with the mustang, but if it is any concillation I also get the same sound when changing gear quickly on my Alfa Romeo 156 !!!

:shrug

#13 ·
I get that sound aswell. First to second gear and sometimes going into third. With or without throttle it still makes the loud che'ck choo noise. It sounds pretty bad as if a u-joint is loose or something. I want to take it to the dealer but the problem is, it is intermittent. I also get the chattering noise when taking off slow or reversing. A technician at my work said it probably because I'm not giving enough gas and the rpm's are dropping. That makes sense because my friends Honda Civic makes a similar sound when he takes off. My old Z24 made a similar sound aswell, when not giving enough throttle.

#14 ·
mooch - I've heard that on a lot of cars over the years. Give it a little more throttle and come out on the clutch a little slower. It sounds like you're boging it down coming off a start. think "smooth" not "fast" when using the clutch, and don't be afraid of the gas pedal. DO have a healthy respect for it!

#15 ·
Ultraclyde is right... more throttle when engaging gears is better. No, I don't mean revving it up to a rediculous level, but make sure the engine is going a little faster when you let out the clutch than it will be when the clutch fully engages. It takes a little practice, but if an old fart like me can do it, anyone can. When I first got my GT, I actually didn't enjoy it as much as I do now, due to the fact that I wasn't being smooth with my shifting. Took all the fun out of it. Mind you, I hadn't driven a stick car in 20 some odd years, but that's another story. Now, 4000 miles later, I've learned the secret, ala what ultraclyde says. Worst situation was when slowing down in rush hour freeway traffic, putting in the clutch and downshifting to 3rd or 2nd, then coasting a bit since it was hard to tell when the traffic would start speeding up again. When it did, I'd let the clutch out and hit the gas at the same time, and the noise would greet me. Solution: pick up the rpm's first, as if you're taking off from a stop in 1st. Only then slowly let out the clutch, and voila! Smooth engagement with no noise. Took me a while to figure that out, but it works well. To prove the point, doesn't everything work and sound nice when you're blasting through the gears? :eyepoppin Naturally, you're hitting the gas hard on every upshift.

#16 ·
rainman said:
Took all the fun out of it. Mind you, I hadn't driven a stick car in 20 some odd years, but that's another story. Now, 4000 miles later, I've learned the secret, ala what ultraclyde says. Worst situation was when slowing down in rush hour freeway traffic, putting in the clutch and downshifting to 3rd or 2nd, then coasting a bit since it was hard to tell when the traffic would start speeding up again. When it did, I'd let the clutch out and hit the gas at the same time, and the noise would greet me. Solution: pick up the rpm's first, as if you're taking off from a stop in 1st. Only then slowly let out the clutch, and voila! Smooth engagement with no noise. Took me a while to figure that out, but it works well. To prove the point, doesn't everything work and sound nice when you're blasting through the gears? :eyepoppin Naturally, you're hitting the gas hard on every upshift.
Of course! You should ALWAYS match revs on downshifts. Downshifts should be as smooth (or smoother) than upshifts when done correctly.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.