Check Engine Light won't go off - Help - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-06-2005 Thread Starter
S197 Member

Check Engine Light won't go off - Help

Hello,

Okay, I bought a JET chip (now i'm thinking I should have just bought a tuner), and anytime I go underneath the hood of my car, unplug the cables to the computer, plug them back in, start the car up, everything is fine, no engine light, turn the car off and the next time I start the car, the check engine light comes on. It's the same pattern over and over.

For example, I unplug the connectors to the computer, plug in the JET chip, plug the connectors back in, start the car, everything seems to work great - no check engine light on. I drive the car around for a while to enjoy then I power off the car, the next time I get into my car, I start it and ride off, the check engine light is on.

This happens over and over, it's the same cycle. Meaning, I try to fix it, by re-doing everything under the hood, same cycle, no light the first time, second time it comes on.

So then I thought, find, screw this, forget the JET Chip, I will just use the stock settings. So I open the hood, unplug the JET CHIP, replug in the connectors to the computer like it original was before I messed with anything. I start the car up, no check engine light. So great, were back to normal. But, BUT!!! When i power off the car and start it up again for the second time, MY CHECK ENGINE LIGHT COMES ON!! This time with NO JEET CHIP IN THE CAR.

It's the same pattern over and over again. I go under the hood, do something with the connectors, start the car up, everything is fine the first time, but when I start the car up the second time, BAMN, check engine light comes on.

Anybody know why or most importantly how to fix this?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-06-2005
V6 Member
S197 Member

The question everyone is wondering is..."Do you have a Cold Air Intake on the car?"

If so..that is your problem, not the chip. Buy the tuner, trust us.

post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-06-2005 Thread Starter
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiLLeR_WoMBaT
The question everyone is wondering is..."Do you have a Cold Air Intake on the car?"

yes I do have a cold air intake, that is the problem then right. Cause last night, I put on my car the steeda air intake and installed the chip!!

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-06-2005 Thread Starter
S197 Member

Quote:

well this brings me up a huge question, are you saying that if you buy a CAI, that you MUST by a tuner for it, you can't just install a CAI???
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-06-2005
PONY Member
4.6L Member

Send a message via Yahoo to jasons99gt
Can you just get the code pulled?

99gt vert, CAI, Ford Racing Shortie Headers, MAC 2.5in catback, MAC o/r h-pipe, FRPP alum. driveshaft, March underdrive pullies, sct custom dyno tune, eibach pro-kit, bullitt alum pedals, Cobra Brake Kit, Tokico shocks and struts, PIAA bright whites...FRPP 4.10s!
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-06-2005
BOSS Member
S197 Member

Put some tape over the "Check engine" light. See if that helps.

SOLD -2005 Black GT Whipple HO| Oil Seperator | Steeda Tensioner | 93 dyno tune | Autometer Cobalt | GTAs | Eibach Pro-kit | Tokico D-Specs | CHE UCA | BMR PH | BMR LCA | BMR LCA Bracket | 18x9/10 Deep Dish Bullits

2013 Shelby GT500
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-06-2005
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubl10
well this brings me up a huge question, are you saying that if you buy a CAI, that you MUST by a tuner for it, you can't just install a CAI???
If I recall correctly the Steeda web site specifically states that their CAI requires a custom tune. It's very likely that the JET chip tune does not compensate correctly for the Steeda CAI. As such I sadly suspect your options may be to buy a tuner with a correct tune for the Steeda or simply remove the CAI and replace the stock air box.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-06-2005
SHELBY GT 350 Member
S197 Member

How many times have we been through this...??

You mess with the intake airflow you'll have to get a tuner and tune... Only known way around this is the K&N unit, all others require a tune, even most of the ones that claims no tune is needed...!!

KJ, poorer but happier

Thanks to:
Modular Depot
Fox Lake Racing
Tunable Induction
Power House 411
Sun Coast Creations
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-06-2005 Thread Starter
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kj_cinci

You mess with the intake airflow you'll have to get a tuner and tune... Only known way around this is the K&N unit, all others require a tune, even most of the ones that claims no tune is needed...!!
let me ask you this, is it alright to drive my car around for a few days until my tune gets in, or do i need to take out my steeda CAI????
SHELBY GT 350 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubl10
let me ask you this, is it alright to drive my car around for a few days until my tune gets in, or do i need to take out my steeda CAI????
Yes, I'd say you'll be fine... it's prolly a bit lean but the main problem (CEL) is that the air coming in being read by your new MAF and sent to the car computer is too much for it to 'understand'... It was not programmed to expect and adjust for your current airflow as the stock MAF didn't even meassure that high...

KJ, poorer but happier

Thanks to:
Modular Depot
Fox Lake Racing
Tunable Induction
Power House 411
Sun Coast Creations
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-06-2005 Thread Starter
S197 Member

Quote:
Yes, I'd say you'll be fine... it's prolly a bit lean but the main problem (CEL) is that the air coming in being read by your new MAF and sent to the car computer is too much for it to 'understand'... It was not programmed to expect and adjust for your current airflow as the stock MAF didn't even meassure that high...
thanks! :thumbsup
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:

AFM...proudly serving over 1,999,999 CAI questions!

"You old timers remember the McDonald's sign?"
S197 Member

Quote:
AFM...proudly serving over 1,999,999 CAI questions!

"You old timers remember the McDonald's sign?"
Oh yeah! When did they stop putting that on the sign?

I even remember being able to know and do everything! That WAS before I learned how much and many there is of so much and many things....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gig4Fun
Oh yeah! When did they stop putting that on the sign?
They did??
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurrVert
They did??
Just guessing...can't remember seeing it on the sign lately. I haven't eaten at one in YEARS! Literally years.

...now back to your regularly scheduled thread....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page