Ford Mustang Forum

Ford Mustang Forum (/forums/)
-   2005-2010 Mustang GT Tech (https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/2005-2010-mustang-gt-tech/)
-   -   Strange noise and solution (https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/2005-2010-mustang-gt-tech/498921-strange-noise-solution.html)

omegac11 06-28-2013 05:14 PM

Strange noise and solution

So I have a "ticking" sound on drivers side motor. I have checked the usual cam phaser and leaky header issue but that's not it. However, I noticed if I disconnect the front left injector( #5 cylinder?) it goes way(of course the engine runs a little rough as expected). As soon as its reconnected the loud ticking starts immediately. So a noisey injector you would think? But if the associated coil connector is dis connected with the injector connector still connected the ticking also goes away. The noise starts again after reconnecting the coil wire but not immediately...after 10 seconds or so when the cylinder gets un flooded I assume. So the loud ticking only happens when that cylinder is "firing".

Any ideas??

Jeepnford 06-29-2013 10:33 AM

Try running it when it's dark outside and see if there's a spark going to the engine somewhere around the coil pack. It may be some broken down insulation on the pack. However, if it's down just above the plug you might not see it. You could try pulling the coil and look for bad insulation. This doesn't make perfect sense to me with the symptoms you're describing but you might give it a look. I don't understand why disconnecting the injector stops it unless the PCM stops the spark when it senses a failed injector.

omegac11 06-29-2013 01:55 PM

Today checked the plug to make sure it was tight and it was. I noticed bits of stuff on the conical seat in the head so I cleaned that good hoping that the plug was not seating good but the noise is still there.

I felt the injector and when I un plug the coil the injector stops too. The ECU must be programmed not to put fuel in a cylinder with no spark.

No fault codes once every thing is hooked back up. Anyone else have any ideas?

AZ_Ryan 06-29-2013 06:17 PM

37 Attachment(s)
How does it drive? Can you hear it inside the car?

GTBob985 06-29-2013 06:25 PM

Do a quick swap of the coil with another and or plug or injector. If the issue is not any of these then you might have a ticking valve or lifter that only happens under combustion.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App