Engine Failsafe Mode - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2006 Thread Starter
PONY Member
S197 Member

Engine Failsafe Mode

Engine Failsafe Mode Let me start of by saying my car is completely stock*, I have not modded my engine or anything else on the car, I also have not installed or flashed a tune, again for clarifications my car is STOCK,

Okay I did a search on the “Engine Failsafe Mode” on MSN, Google, and Yahoo not much came up, I did a search on allfordmustangs.com and stangnet.com nothing of much relevance came up, Others mustang owners that got this message have a tune on there car again I don’t.

So my brother was driving the car and he got this message, the car switched to lower power and I guess didn’t shift properly (automatic) this is of course for engine safety reasons, he took it to the dealership directly they are looking at it hope they can figure out the problem.

By the way the user manual has no explanation of what might have caused a problem,

Anyways my question is what caused this has anyone else experienced it?

Is the Engine Failsafe Mode equivalent to Check Engine light or does the car have both?

*(few cosmetic mods this is irrelevant but that just to make everything clear)

2005 Performance White Mustang GT

1966 Candy Apple Red Mustang Convertible
C4 Automatic / 289 2v V8 C-Code Engine: Stock

<-- Click on the "HOUSE" to Check out my blog
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2006 Thread Starter
PONY Member
S197 Member

I found a couple of posts from a f150 forum and a few others some are not a mustangs, guess its similar system

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank S @ f150online.com/forums
Theengine should only go into failsafe mode after coolant loss. Looks like a trip to dealerland is in order.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vocabulaic @ f150online.com/forums
Sounds like you're having cooling problems, as the failsafe mode shoudl only initialize when your engine is overheating. If your engine is still running great, I would think there's a short somewhere in electrical that is causing it to think it's in that mode when it really isn't.

Definitely get it to a mechanic/dealer.
http://www.f150online.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=138647

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zalec @ tunercarz.com
problem solved. its bein fixed tomarrow. the TB sensor went bad ands screwing up the ECU. they are giving us a new TB and sensor.
http://www.tunercarz.com/driverforum...ead.php?t=2943

here are soeme Mustang related qoutes, the above quotes are for ford cars but not mustangs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegasjay @ forums.bradbarnett.net
It could be a coil-pack....I had mine go into failsafe mode when I first got it (before any mod's), and it was a bad coil-pack per the TSB. They put a new one on, good to go. thumb.gif Hope they find your problem for you.
http://forums.bradbarnett.net/index.php?showtopic=21615

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albeeno @ fenway.net
Less than 10K miles on it and it's already IN THE SHOP!

After going in to "engine failsafe mode" and creeping along at a whopping 30 MPH I immediately took it to Framingham Ford. They hooked it up to the computer and apparenty it needs a new throttle body! What the **** is this all about dunney? I need your expertise here! I'm dropping it off tonight, hopefully I'll have it by Wednesday. That is if the roads are decent and I can actually drive the God damn thing...piece of ****.... Crying or Very sad.
http://fenway.net/board/viewtopic.ph...52e948a5f7fe0e

Useless post about this,
http://www.mustangworld.com/forums/s...d.php?t=374740

Fail-Safe Cooling

A fail-safe cooling system lets Mustang be driven under limited power for short distances if engine coolant is lost, eliminating the cost and inconvenience of towing. If the coolant level sensor reads below a critical level, the engine computer module switches the engine to an emergency limp-home mode, in which only half the cylinders get fuel. With only half the cylinders firing, the engine operates at lower power and generates much less heat. The cylinders alternate between even- and odd-firing pistons in this mode. The engine can move the vehicle at moderate speeds (up to about 50 mph).
http://www.carseverything.com/action/printarticle/1521/

Old 02-04-2006
S197 Member

My car has gone in to failsafe a couple of times when I was abusing the traction control. It also happened when I removed all the performace goodies and put it back to stock. I drove about a half block and it went in to fail safe. Turns out I forgot to plug in the MAF connector. Could be something as simple as a loose connector in the wrong system.

Old 02-04-2006

heh my friend has a the previous body style mustang GT to the 05 style, and his went into safe mode, and the dealership told him its because he drove high speeds a lot, but i used to have the same mustang as him and i sped a lot more than him and mine never went into safe mode.. but yeah they told him his constant 100+ mph put it into safe mode, and it went into safe mode after goin 140
Old 02-06-2006 Thread Starter
PONY Member
S197 Member

As expected the dealership couldn’t find a problem with the car, I hope it doesn’t occur again,, I hate it when I have to take my car to the dealership.
They said they hooked it up to the diagnostic computer, but no faults or errors showed up,

Old 11-21-2006

Failsafe Engine Mode

I would also like info from anyone experiencing this problem. My '05 GT is completely stock and I get this message completely at random which makes it almost impossible for the dealer to determine what the problem is because they can't reproduce the problem and they are not getting any codes on their diagnostic equipment. So anyone with a stock '05 GT that has this problem, please post so I can give the dealer some ideas.
Old 11-21-2006
Classic Member
S197 Member

Send a message via Yahoo to stlwagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by vhutman
I would also like info from anyone experiencing this problem. My '05 GT is completely stock and I get this message completely at random which makes it almost impossible for the dealer to determine what the problem is because they can't reproduce the problem and they are not getting any codes on their diagnostic equipment. So anyone with a stock '05 GT that has this problem, please post so I can give the dealer some ideas.
I've had issues caused by an aftermarket throttle body in combination with my custom tune. Does it happen only when accelerating? Could be a defective throttle position sensor.

1965 Mustang Coupe
Old 11-21-2006
S197 Member

Quote:
Take a digital picture of it when it happens so you can document it. Have the miles show up in the pic too.
Old 11-24-2006

Failsafe Engine Mode

[quote=stlwagon]I've had issues caused by an aftermarket throttle body in combination with my custom tune. Does it happen only when accelerating? Could be a defective throttle position sensor.[/

No, as stated, it happens completely at random, accelerating and decelerating, but always at low speeds. One time it happened when it was sitting in my driveway and I started it up to go somewhere, I hadn't even moved. There is nothing aftermarket on this car, engine-wise.
Old 11-24-2006

Failsafe Engine Mode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gig4Fun
Take a digital picture of it when it happens so you can document it. Have the miles show up in the pic too.
Why do you think the mileage would have anything to do with it? It is, however, happening more and more often. It just turned over 14,000 miles. Please let me know your thoughts.
Old 11-24-2006
PONY Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Why do you think the mileage would have anything to do with it?
I would imagine that he means to take a picture of the miles so that the delaer can see that it was happening while the car was still under warranty. Especially if they can't get any codes to come up. At least you have proof that this was an issue before the warranty ran out.

Silver '05 Premium Convertible,5 Spd Mnl,IUP, C&L CAI, Bassani Axle Backs, Predator 91 Octane Tune, Hurst Shifter, IVA-310 Alpine touch screen stereo, 10" W7's 1500W HiFonics amp MB Quartz component speakers 600W HiFonics amp.
Old 11-24-2006
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT Express
I would imagine that he means to take a picture of the miles so that the delaer can see that it was happening while the car was still under warranty. Especially if they can't get any codes to come up. At least you have proof that this was an issue before the warranty ran out.
yes, this is why.
Old 08-04-2012
Rookie

I'm having the same problem on my 05 mustang. all i did was replace the battery and it went into fail safe mode but it won't come out of it so i can't even take it to a dealer.
Old 08-05-2012
PONY Member

Try disconnecting your battery for about an hour, and then reconnect. That may clear it. I drined my battery a while back and had a bunch of codes randomly popping up. Disconnected for about an hour and then after that, no codes.

2008 GT Premium, MagnaCharger TVS 1900, Brembo Brakes, Whiteline Watts Link, Koni Yellows, Steeda Sport Springs,
J&M Extreme LCA, BMR Relo Brackets, FR500S Axlebacks, TCI Shifter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in