Door Handles - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-13-2006 Thread Starter
S197 Member

Door Handles

Anybody else having issues with the door handles not retracting back after you pull on them?

Please let me know, if so have you had them fixed, and what did the dealer do?

Thank YOu

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-13-2006
Apprentice
S197 Member

Thats happening to me too. And it doesnt get heavy use so i was wondering if i washed the grease out or something! Ive heard others mention this too so i think its common. I want to know how to fix it too. Less i take it to my dealer the better!

05 GT Premium, Blood Red Metallic, Shaker 500, IUP, My Color.....
70 GTO Conv. Red, Black interior, 400, Auto, Air, PS, PB
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-13-2006
PONY Member
Classic Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Call the dealer but you don't need to take your car in...Mine has been twice to "replace" the door handle and both times it was not done. I left my Stang overnight both times and they did nothing...I was Pissed!! Any way I called to tell them to send the 3rd supposed set of door handles to another dealer because I am tired of them jerking me around and the head of "customer relations" called me back to tell me that the door handles had never been ordered!!!!! She told me that Ford has a national something going out now and apparently thay are redesigning the handle. I haven't verified that with the president of Ford Motor Company yet tho...I don't know if they are just full of crap again or not. If you find out anything different please let me know Sorry for the rant....

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-13-2006 Thread Starter
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blnpony05
Call the dealer but you don't need to take your car in...Mine has been twice to "replace" the door handle and both times it was not done. I left my Stang overnight both times and they did nothing...I was Pissed!! Any way I called to tell them to send the 3rd supposed set of door handles to another dealer because I am tired of them jerking me around and the head of "customer relations" called me back to tell me that the door handles had never been ordered!!!!! She told me that Ford has a national something going out now and apparently thay are redesigning the handle. I haven't verified that with the president of Ford Motor Company yet tho...I don't know if they are just full of crap again or not. If you find out anything different please let me know Sorry for the rant....
Thanks for the info, I am good friends with my service manager and they just had my car for 5 days and fixed a bunch of problems, no questions asked... I printed all the TSB's I could find on the problems I was having and they fixed them... The ones I couldn't find TSB's on he re-searched on this website and got them fixed...

I will let you know what we come up with!!!
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-13-2006
S197 Member

back in october i noticed that on my passenger side outside door handle. It did not return to a closed state all the way and on top of that the door would not lock either. I went to my local dealer and they tightened it up for me and it would lock again but still not retract all the way snug. they order me a new door handle and within a week got it and installed. no problems since
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-14-2006
S197 Member

It was weird. Both of my handles stopped snapping shut at the same time. I thought someone had broken them trying to get into the car while I had it parked at a mall. I took it to the dealer and they ordered new ones and replaced them both at no charge. They told me it was a known issue.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-14-2006 Thread Starter
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaWarrior
back in october i noticed that on my passenger side outside door handle. It did not return to a closed state all the way and on top of that the door would not lock either. I went to my local dealer and they tightened it up for me and it would lock again but still not retract all the way snug. they order me a new door handle and within a week got it and installed. no problems since
How long ago did you have them replaced? I think that is the route we are going to take...
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-15-2006
Apprentice
S197 Member

A couple of weeks ago, I went to close my driver's door and it bounced back open. The latch on the door was jambed closed so it wouldn't latch. The dealer fixed but now I noticed the door handle doesn't retract all the way. Will call the Ford dealer today and ask them to order a new one. Thanks for the info...Dave

Ordered 2-18-2014; Arrived 4-17-2014: 2014 V6 Premium, Ingot Silver, Saddle Seats, Automatic, MCOA Pkg, Electronics Pkg & Navigation, Reverse Sensing System & Security, Comfort Pkg, V6 Performance Pkg, Rear Video Camera, Glass Roof

Mods: Roush CAI, Corsa Sport Axle-Back, Borla X-Pipe, BBK Headers, Aluminum Driveshaft, Bama SF3/X3 Power Flash Tune, MRT Hood Struts, JLT Oil Separator, Engine Cover, Full Spare
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-15-2006
MACH I Member

Do the handles have to be painted? Just in case.

2005 GT coupe
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-15-2006 Thread Starter
S197 Member

These handles come pre-painted!!!
MACH I Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodneylynn1977
These handles come pre-painted!!!
That's a plus! I wonder how the match is. I've ordered touch up from an auto paint place and the dealer. Neither matches my satin silver. Too light, too dark, no luck.

2005 GT coupe
Apprentice
V6 Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

I realize that this is an old thread, but just wanted to add my two cents worth. I have owned two Mustangs so far. A 2005 V6 convertible (sold) and now a 2007 GT coupe. Both vehicles had the same problem with the exterior door handles not retracting. Apparently a plastic clip inside the door handle breaks, preventing the handle from retracting fully. In both cases I had to order new door handles. Said to the dealer, "Either I have the worst luck ever, or there is a design problem with these door handles." He replies, "Ya, we've replaced a few."

2014 Mustang GT Premium- MT, Ruby Red, 3.73 Torsen, Brembo Brakes, Track Pack, Comfort Package, Electronics Package, Rear Sensing System, Security Package, Rear Video Camera, Barton Short Throw Shifter and bracket, RedLine Tuning Hood Struts, Borla Touring axle back exhaust, Boss 302 shift knob, alcantara suede shift boot and e-brake boot, K&N air filter, etc.

1993 Corvette Convertible LT1

2018 BMW R1200GS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page