2006 Mustang GT fuel gauge errors - Ford Mustang Forum
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 91 (permalink) Old 03-12-2006 Thread Starter
Apprentice

2006 Mustang GT fuel gauge errors

Is anyone else having problems with fuel gauge? I tried doing a search for this but didn't find anything the wasn't related to fuel tank "filling" problems.

Both times I had 1/4 to 1/2 tank of fuel and the gauge read "Empty" and the low fuel warnings came on indicating 15 to 20 miles to empty. Panicking, I stopped for gas immediatly and it only took 8 to 10 gallons and then the gauge read full. When I calculated my milage, 8 to 10 gallons seemed dead on for what I would have used since the last fill up.

The first occurance: I was parked nose up in a slight incline. Before I parked it, I knew I was somewhere between 1/4 and 1/2 tank. When I started back up and left the parking lot, that is when I noticed the fuel gauge on "E".

The second time, I was also just a little below 1/2 tank. Took my LL GT out for a spin of spiritted driving, hard launches and hard cornering, to show the car off to friend in the passenger seat. After settling the car down off of a few fast tight corners, the low fuel warning came on showing 15 miles to empty.

What gives? If this has already been discussed, please direct me to the old posts. I'm on a slow dial up and got tired of "slowly" paging through the older posts. The searchs I tried only lead me to "filling stop" problems.

2006 Legend Lime Mustang GT/Manual Trans/some mods(tired of updating) 13.257 @ 109.36 on stock 18 fanblades and stock BGFs wth CAI, tune, UDPs
1967 Lime Gold Galaxie 500 XL/390 4bbl/Toploader
1966 Mustang Coupe/bare metal (rebuild in process-slowly)/engine&trans TBD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 91 (permalink) Old 03-12-2006
GT Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mot250
Is anyone else having problems with fuel gauge? I tried doing a search for this but didn't find anything the wasn't related to fuel tank "filling" problems.

Both times I had 1/4 to 1/2 tank of fuel and the gauge read "Empty" and the low fuel warnings came on indicating 15 to 20 miles to empty. Panicking, I stopped for gas immediatly and it only took 8 to 10 gallons and then the gauge read full. When I calculated my milage, 8 to 10 gallons seemed dead on for what I would have used since the last fill up.

The first occurance: I was parked nose up in a slight incline. Before I parked it, I knew I was somewhere between 1/4 and 1/2 tank. When I started back up and left the parking lot, that is when I noticed the fuel gauge on "E".

The second time, I was also just a little below 1/2 tank. Took my LL GT out for a spin of spiritted driving, hard launches and hard cornering, to show the car off to friend in the passenger seat. After settling the car down off of a few fast tight corners, the low fuel warning came on showing 15 miles to empty.

What gives? If this has already been discussed, please direct me to the old posts. I'm on a slow dial up and got tired of "slowly" paging through the older posts. The searchs I tried only lead me to "filling stop" problems.
Does your info center read "DTE FLI DATA ERR" when this happens? Probably a bad fuel level sending unit. Mine does this occasionally on cold wet days. Not often enough for me to take it in. In HATE Ford service and avoid them like the plague.

2005 Mustang GT with 300 ci 04 Cobra iron block, Kenne Bell 2.6l twin screw, P&P S3 Heads, SS valves, Comp S3 cams, Currie 9+ 9" rear end and DS, Hurst shifter, BMR K-member, A-arms, LCAs & UCA, JBA long tubes & mid-pipe, Accel COPs, Dual GT500 fuel pumps, much more...
670 RWHP, 640Tq @ 16 psi & 6400 RPM
post #3 of 91 (permalink) Old 03-12-2006 Thread Starter
Apprentice

I didn't notice any other error messages on the info center but I will keep an eye out for it during future ocurrances. When you saw the error message, did it show up automatically or did you have to clear the low fuel warning first or do a "system check" using the info center? I have been keeping a log of the two instances so far so I'll be sure to have details when and if I end up taking it in for this.

2006 Legend Lime Mustang GT/Manual Trans/some mods(tired of updating) 13.257 @ 109.36 on stock 18 fanblades and stock BGFs wth CAI, tune, UDPs

post #4 of 91 (permalink) Old 03-12-2006
GT Member
S197 Member

Quote:
I didn't notice any other error messages on the info center but I will keep an eye out for it during future ocurrances. When you saw the error message, did it show up automatically or did you have to clear the low fuel warning first or do a "system check" using the info center? I have been keeping a log of the two instances so far so I'll be sure to have details when and if I end up taking it in for this.
It comes on automatically as soon as the fuel guage drops to E. It hasn't happened in a while for me, not sure if I could clear the error or if it cleared itself.

2005 Mustang GT with 300 ci 04 Cobra iron block, Kenne Bell 2.6l twin screw, P&P S3 Heads, SS valves, Comp S3 cams, Currie 9+ 9" rear end and DS, Hurst shifter, BMR K-member, A-arms, LCAs & UCA, JBA long tubes & mid-pipe, Accel COPs, Dual GT500 fuel pumps, much more...
post #5 of 91 (permalink) Old 03-13-2006

I havent had it say empty, I remember once I filled up to full, then for the next 10 miles it said I was only at a quarter of a tank, took it a while for the little gauge to go up, it took its slow ass time and finally got to full..
on my 02 gt mustang though one time I had a full tank, was driving by the gas station, looked down and it said empty! scared me to death becasue I'm one of those people that dont drive anywhere if i have a quarter of a tank or atleast a half.. then I turned off, restarted car and it said full again.. but yeah never had prob on my 06 blk gt
post #6 of 91 (permalink) Old 03-13-2006
S197 Member

Its happened a few times in my 06 Mustang GT. I did not get the fuel error warning on the info center though. Has not happened in about a month. If it happens again I'll take it in.
post #7 of 91 (permalink) Old 03-13-2006
Registered

Mine does the same thing. 1/4 tank of gas, take off pretty hard, and the message center tells me I have 20 miles to empty. I have to turn the car off to get the correct miles to empty.

'06 Vista Blue GT premium vert, 5 spd manual, charcoal interior, black top, side airbags, IUP, 18" polished bullit wheels (64W).
Mods: 2 performance white shelby stripes, 10 1/2" wide, 2" apart, K&N CAI, JET throttle body spacer, chrome spinners, Magnapacks, Ultimate pedals, Saleen short shift adapter, trunk release button, 93 octane torque tune from Bamachips, Shelby hood pins
Upcoming Mods: hood scoop (future), plenum cover (future), 4:10 gears (future)
post #8 of 91 (permalink) Old 03-13-2006 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Thanks all! Good to know I'm not crazy. I'll be calling the dealer tomorrow to see what they say.

post #9 of 91 (permalink) Old 03-13-2006
PONY Member
S197 Member

For everyone that has had a simlar problem in this thread, it is probably the fuel sending unit - I had mine do this a few times until the CEL came on. Twice with a full tank.

They replaced the unit. The first question from the tech was "did you run out of gas?"

Anyhow, it was about a year ago or so, and my posts about it were among other threads so it may not have shown up in a search. It seems to be a somewhat common problem.

Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency.

2012 Shelby GT500, Black on black
PONY Member
S197 Member

mine too......

I just saw that problem on my car yesterday! I drove in to work and had about 160 miles to empty. I left work and a little rain was on the ground. We are in a business park area and it was Sunday....no one was around....so, I revved her up, popped into first, took a corner pretty strong in second and got out to the main road....and.....up pops the warning....8 miles to empty. I knew that was wrong. I stopped and re-started the car. No help. Stopped by the bar for a brew and an hour later it seemed it was ok???

A bit disappointing, only 1500 miles and been to the dealer 3 times! I guess another trip is in order - for the guage and for my Shaker 500.

It's kinda like your child that gets a little cut, you know they will be fine. But, it hurts none the less!

Peace....The MadMan :smoke:
Current: 2008 Tjaarda 350T
K&N CAI - Eibach Springs|Baer 14” Zinc Coated, Slotted & Drilled Rotors|6-Piston Front Calipers|GT Legends with Nitto NT-555 255/35ZR20 Front and 275/35ZR20 Rear|Custom side exhaust|Molded Front Fascia|Hood|Carbon Fiber Rocker Panels|Lower Side Scoops|Rear Fascia|4“ Ion Crystal Fog Lamps|2.5“ PIAA Extreme White Driving Lights
Sold: 2006 Premium Tung Grey GT - 5 speed
GT Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5twenty
Probably a bad fuel level sending unit.
HeiMa, thanks for the info on the bad sending unit. I'm just trying to think of where I've heard that before...

Just joking with you

Actually, I just like quoting myself.

post #12 of 91 (permalink) Old 03-14-2006 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Talked to the a Ford service manager this morning. He indicated that the "slosh module" in the tank is typically slow to respond to hard cornering or other conditions while driving but it should respond quickly when the car is turned off and back on again.

Since mine did not respond quickly after filling the tank on one occasion (it read 3/4 tank until I got home and parked it in the garage when it slowly went up to "F"), he did suggest I bring it in for a check.

GT Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Talked to the a Ford service manager this morning. He indicated that the "slosh module" in the tank is typically slow to respond to hard cornering or other conditions while driving but it should respond quickly when the car is turned off and back on again.

Since mine did not respond quickly after filling the tank on one occasion (it read 3/4 tank until I got home and parked it in the garage when it slowly went up to "F"), he did suggest I bring it in for a check.

I hate service people who think they can make up BS right on the spot. Did he tell you your muffler bearings needed replacement? I think you need a new service manager. Unless he calls fuel level sensors "slosh modules" he is BSing you. The only sensor in the S197 gas tank is the fuel level sensor. Fuel levels are averaged over time. That way when you go around a corner your fuel level doesn't go down because the fuel gauge doesn't show the current state of the fuel level sensor, it shows the average state of the fuel level sensor over a period of time. When you turn off your car the average resets. So when you get in your car after refueling it says FULL. Somehow you had a glitch, maybe you didn't turn the ignition off during fueling, but what happened is your average didn't get reset. So over time, usually 10 to 15 minutes, the average will slowly creep up to FULL.

The bottom line is this: Turn the car OFF during refueling and if you don't notice this happening again don't worry about it. There is nothing wrong with your car and if you take it in to a BS dealer to fix a problem that doesn't exist, only bad things will happen.

SHELBY GT-40 ULTIMATE Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Cool I decided to do a search before posting a problem I had this morning and found this thread! Perfect!
The other day after getting gas the guage only went to 1/2 tank. Turned the car off, next time it went to full. Well this morning while idling, that file data err message came on and the guage went to E. I turned the car off and restarted it. It went back to normal! Guess i need to take it in to the dealer. Good thing I need an oil change anyway!!

Can life get any better????

Garage
Every time I buy gas at the Chevron station close to my house the fuel gauge will do the same as the posts above. If I buy at
any of the other stations it works fine. Could there be Sulfur in
gas causing this ?

Shadow Black 2018 GT 10R80-355
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in