Ford Mustang Forum

Ford Mustang Forum (/forums/)
-   2005-2010 Mustang GT Tech (https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/2005-2010-mustang-gt-tech/)
-   -   White specs on front hood and rear trunk. (https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/2005-2010-mustang-gt-tech/62260-white-specs-front-hood-rear-trunk.html)

tw0scoops123 07-25-2006 04:37 PM

White specs on front hood and rear trunk.

I'm not sure what this is, I drive it daily on a highway. I tohught it might be road debris or small chips, but it was on the trunk lid too. Really small and they feel kinda like bumps. Not really sure what this is, but polish and scratch remover won't get rid of it. Will clay bar take it out? Or any other ideas of what the heck it is? The specs look like specs of dust that won't come off.

Mick 07-25-2006 04:51 PM

Do you think it is coming from the particles in the air we have in New Jersey that comes from other states?

mrvandermey 07-25-2006 06:01 PM

451 Attachment(s)
Any chance you have been anywhere near something that was being painted...such as a bridge or construction site? The wind can carry the fine mist of paint in the the air and it will settle on your car.

GT Express 07-25-2006 06:17 PM

I had the same happen to me but the white spots came right off when I waxed my car. I don't think it was paint from anybody painting in the vacinity because it was not on any part of the rag top only on the paint. This happened about two months ago and I have not had that happen anymore.

mrvandermey 07-25-2006 06:24 PM

451 Attachment(s)
Now that I think about it, I had a similar experience on my Ford Fusion, however the white spots came off with an intence amount of scrubbing, I do not recall being around anything that was being painted.

RTH Jimmy 07-25-2006 07:31 PM

Try a clay bar. The main purpose of the bar is to remove contaminates.

Grabber Orange 07-25-2006 07:40 PM

omg!!!!!!!!! Mine Has The Same White Spots!!!!!!!!! I Asked My Boyfriend What He Thought It Was And He Thought Maybe Wax But I Wash It And They Appear Again

tw0scoops123 07-25-2006 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grabber Orange
omg!!!!!!!!! Mine Has The Same White Spots!!!!!!!!! I Asked My Boyfriend What He Thought It Was And He Thought Maybe Wax But I Wash It And They Appear Again

Yeah...I tried some polish/wax and nothing. I don't think its paint cuz there is nothing on the roof. I'll try clay bar next time I got to wax.

Actually I can't feel bumps...it's really smooth over them i think. So who knows. Let me know if any1 else has this.

MickMach 07-25-2006 09:07 PM

I would have to say the clay bar is your answer

Crystal...where are your spots? across the top surfaces?

myltlpny 07-26-2006 12:27 AM

Do you have a coal burning power plant in your area? I've heard of similar problems due to the stuff that comes out of the stack. It almost seems like small grains burn themselves into the clear coat. It's not so much that they damage the clear coat, but rather bond to it and need some real elbow grease to get off.

tw0scoops123 07-26-2006 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by myltlpny
Do you have a coal burning power plant in your area? I've heard of similar problems due to the stuff that comes out of the stack. It almost seems like small grains burn themselves into the clear coat. It's not so much that they damage the clear coat, but rather bond to it and need some real elbow grease to get off.

No definately not.

tw0scoops123 07-26-2006 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MickMach
I would have to say the clay bar is your answer

Crystal...where are your spots? across the top surfaces?

Yeah it seems like they are all on the top surfaces, except I can't see anything on the roof. Just the hood, and trunk lid...

Crystal? Oh you're talking to someone else :-P

Grabber Orange 07-26-2006 01:27 PM

Yes mine are accross the hood and a few on the back I showed my sales man this morning and he hasn't heard any other complaints but saw the same thing.. ??

mrvandermey 07-26-2006 01:34 PM

451 Attachment(s)
Maybe this is a Ford thing. Like I said, I have noticed the same white spots on the hood and trunk of my Fusion. The Mustang is not out in the open very often, so no spots yet. I wonder if there is anything we can do to minimize getting these white spots (like wax or polsih or some such)?

Grabber Orange 07-26-2006 02:43 PM

I don't know? Like I said my salesguy hasn't heard anything about it.. I know there is a product out there called.Xzilon that protects the paint for 5 years and it like $500 to get done to the car.. maybe that would help? I am thinking of getting it done anyway.. but those white specs really make me mad.