White specs on front hood and rear trunk. - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-25-2006 Thread Starter
BOSS Member
S197 Member

White specs on front hood and rear trunk.

I'm not sure what this is, I drive it daily on a highway. I tohught it might be road debris or small chips, but it was on the trunk lid too. Really small and they feel kinda like bumps. Not really sure what this is, but polish and scratch remover won't get rid of it. Will clay bar take it out? Or any other ideas of what the heck it is? The specs look like specs of dust that won't come off.

SOLD -2005 Black GT Whipple HO| Oil Seperator | Steeda Tensioner | 93 dyno tune | Autometer Cobalt | GTAs | Eibach Pro-kit | Tokico D-Specs | CHE UCA | BMR PH | BMR LCA | BMR LCA Bracket | 18x9/10 Deep Dish Bullits

2013 Shelby GT500
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-25-2006
GT Member
S197 Member

Do you think it is coming from the particles in the air we have in New Jersey that comes from other states?

07 GT. Exterior mods n/a. Engine mods, see profile.
One of the more powerful cars around.
One of the slower cars around.
Makes me feel like a kid every time.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-25-2006
SHELBY GT 500 Member

Garage
Any chance you have been anywhere near something that was being painted...such as a bridge or construction site? The wind can carry the fine mist of paint in the the air and it will settle on your car.

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-25-2006
PONY Member
S197 Member

I had the same happen to me but the white spots came right off when I waxed my car. I don't think it was paint from anybody painting in the vacinity because it was not on any part of the rag top only on the paint. This happened about two months ago and I have not had that happen anymore.

Silver '05 Premium Convertible,5 Spd Mnl,IUP, C&L CAI, Bassani Axle Backs, Predator 91 Octane Tune, Hurst Shifter, IVA-310 Alpine touch screen stereo, 10" W7's 1500W HiFonics amp MB Quartz component speakers 600W HiFonics amp.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-25-2006
SHELBY GT 500 Member

Garage
Now that I think about it, I had a similar experience on my Ford Fusion, however the white spots came off with an intence amount of scrubbing, I do not recall being around anything that was being painted.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-25-2006
S197 Member

Try a clay bar. The main purpose of the bar is to remove contaminates.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-25-2006
PONY Member
S197 Member

omg!!!!!!!!! Mine Has The Same White Spots!!!!!!!!! I Asked My Boyfriend What He Thought It Was And He Thought Maybe Wax But I Wash It And They Appear Again
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-25-2006 Thread Starter
BOSS Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabber Orange
omg!!!!!!!!! Mine Has The Same White Spots!!!!!!!!! I Asked My Boyfriend What He Thought It Was And He Thought Maybe Wax But I Wash It And They Appear Again
Yeah...I tried some polish/wax and nothing. I don't think its paint cuz there is nothing on the roof. I'll try clay bar next time I got to wax.

Actually I can't feel bumps...it's really smooth over them i think. So who knows. Let me know if any1 else has this.

SOLD -2005 Black GT Whipple HO| Oil Seperator | Steeda Tensioner | 93 dyno tune | Autometer Cobalt | GTAs | Eibach Pro-kit | Tokico D-Specs | CHE UCA | BMR PH | BMR LCA | BMR LCA Bracket | 18x9/10 Deep Dish Bullits

2013 Shelby GT500
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-25-2006
BOSS Member
Classic Member
S197 Member

I would have to say the clay bar is your answer

Crystal...where are your spots? across the top surfaces?

Saleen S/C 3.2 pulley. Chris Rose tune.

Hot Rod cams, GT500 pumps, CHE goodies on the rear, 4.10's, KOOKS/ O/R X pipe with PYPES Violators, Spydershaft, TCI 3500 stall, PA deep tranny pan. Meziere w/p,M&H 325/45/17 DRs.
S/[email protected]/[email protected]
MACH I Member
S197 Member

Do you have a coal burning power plant in your area? I've heard of similar problems due to the stuff that comes out of the stack. It almost seems like small grains burn themselves into the clear coat. It's not so much that they damage the clear coat, but rather bond to it and need some real elbow grease to get off.

'05 Sonic Blue GT w/ '07 V8 engine, 5-sp, IUP, Beige leather interior, nothing else -
just the way I wanted it. (1 of 113)
OK, so I've added a few things to it. Check my Profile - too many to list here.
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-26-2006 Thread Starter
BOSS Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by myltlpny
Do you have a coal burning power plant in your area? I've heard of similar problems due to the stuff that comes out of the stack. It almost seems like small grains burn themselves into the clear coat. It's not so much that they damage the clear coat, but rather bond to it and need some real elbow grease to get off.
No definately not.

2013 Shelby GT500
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-26-2006 Thread Starter
BOSS Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickMach
I would have to say the clay bar is your answer

Crystal...where are your spots? across the top surfaces?
Yeah it seems like they are all on the top surfaces, except I can't see anything on the roof. Just the hood, and trunk lid...

Crystal? Oh you're talking to someone else :-P

2013 Shelby GT500
PONY Member
S197 Member

Yes mine are accross the hood and a few on the back I showed my sales man this morning and he hasn't heard any other complaints but saw the same thing.. ??
SHELBY GT 500 Member

Garage
Maybe this is a Ford thing. Like I said, I have noticed the same white spots on the hood and trunk of my Fusion. The Mustang is not out in the open very often, so no spots yet. I wonder if there is anything we can do to minimize getting these white spots (like wax or polsih or some such)?
PONY Member
S197 Member

I don't know? Like I said my salesguy hasn't heard anything about it.. I know there is a product out there called.Xzilon that protects the paint for 5 years and it like $500 to get done to the car.. maybe that would help? I am thinking of getting it done anyway.. but those white specs really make me mad.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page