Help with Sticker Removal - Screamin Yellow - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-23-2007 Thread Starter
PONY Member
S197 Member

Help with Sticker Removal - Screamin Yellow

I just removed the Dealer sticker from the rear truck lid, it was on there good, took me about 2 hours with a hair dryer, plastic scraper, and a bottle of goo gone. I finally got it off and noticed that the impression of the sticker is embedded in the yellow PAINT ! I tried using polishing compound, and wax with cleaner but it's still there.

Any suggestions / tips ? Should I have it wet sanded maybe ?

06 GT Screamin Yellow Convertible

13 Shelby GT500 - SVT Perf Pak - SVT Trak Pak - Electronics Pkg w/NAV - Leather Recaros - JL Audio Stereo Upgrade
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-23-2007
Classic Member
S197 Member

Send a message via Yahoo to stlwagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Witchstang View Post
I just removed the Dealer sticker from the rear truck lid, it was on there good, took me about 2 hours with a hair dryer, plastic scraper, and a bottle of goo gone. I finally got it off and noticed that the impression of the sticker is embedded in the yellow PAINT ! I tried using polishing compound, and wax with cleaner but it's still there.

And there's no residue left? Was it a clear sticker that may have allowed sun to fade the paint underneath?? Just thinking out loud...

1965 Mustang Coupe
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-23-2007
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member

Clear Coat

Quote:

Its possible that you removed some (I hope not all) of the clear coat when you took off the sticker. Some of those funky decals dealers put on have aggressive solvents in the adhesive.

Try a clay bar next.

If that doesn't work, color sanding is an option, though it must be done properly and with a light touch.

Best of luck.

tripleblack

"You can never be free until you let yourself go."

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-23-2007 Thread Starter
PONY Member
S197 Member

Yeah it was a clear sticker with Black Letters of Dealer name & Ford logo. I got all of the residue off, the clearcoat looks fine. The sticker was a bear to get off though. Looks like it was baked on there. It's a Florida car and it's been titled for only 11 months. Perhaps the previous owner left it outside frequently, and the sun just baked it. I'll have to take it to my paint guy to see what he can do. You can't really notice it unless you're looking right at the particular section of the car, but I notice it, and that's the problem.

13 Shelby GT500 - SVT Perf Pak - SVT Trak Pak - Electronics Pkg w/NAV - Leather Recaros - JL Audio Stereo Upgrade
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-23-2007
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member

Clay bar

Quote:
Yeah it was a clear sticker with Black Letters of Dealer name & Ford logo. I got all of the residue off, the clearcoat looks fine. The sticker was a bear to get off though. Looks like it was baked on there. It's a Florida car and it's been titled for only 11 months. Perhaps the previous owner left it outside frequently, and the sun just baked it. I'll have to take it to my paint guy to see what he can do. You can't really notice it unless you're looking right at the particular section of the car, but I notice it, and that's the problem.
If you don't own a clay bar, buy one - its great for keeping these paint jobs looking great, and it might save you a trip to the body shop.

Meguiar makes a good one, and so does Mothers. I suspect a clay bar will take care of that "shadow", which I think was the result of the solvents baking out of that label and messing up the surface of the paint.

tripleblack

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-23-2007 Thread Starter
PONY Member
S197 Member

Thanks for the tip, I was at Advanced Auto today and noticed both of those brands you mentioned. I was thinking about buying the Zaino total protection kit which includes a clay bar. This car looks brand new and I really want to protect & maintain the paint. I plan not to leave it out in the sun as much as possible.

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-23-2007
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member

Zaino

Quote:
Thanks for the tip, I was at Advanced Auto today and noticed both of those brands you mentioned. I was thinking about buying the Zaino total protection kit which includes a clay bar. This car looks brand new and I really want to protect & maintain the paint. I plan not to leave it out in the sun as much as possible.
Not up to speed on Zaino, though it might be excellent - I'm an old car guy, and I tend to stick with the same products I've used for decades.

If you don't have access to a garage, you might consider picking up a good car cover. Get one built for YOUR car, and make sure it is high quality. Cheap covers can do more harm than good. I won't make a brand recommendation, since its been 1982 since I lacked a garage, but its the way to go for those who must park their babies out-of-doors.

Clay-barring a car does amazing things - its not just for getting rid of bug residue and pine resin (though it does those things as well).

tripleblack

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-23-2007 Thread Starter
PONY Member
S197 Member

I am not familiar with Zaino either, but their products come recommended from other threads I've read in these forums. their web site is: http://www.zainostore.com/ I've always used Mothers or Meguiar's stuff and have had good luck with that.

I just got my car last Saturday morning, and spent most of Saturday afternoon cleaning out my garage making room for the new addition to the family. This vehicle will remain garaged unless I'm driving it. The sun is a killer on clearcoats & paint here in South Florida, not to mention the brutal summers with hot humid pounding rain. Now we're enjoying 77 deg & sun everyday. Thanks again for your tip, I'll get the clay bar tomorrow and see if I fix my problem with the removed sticker.

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-23-2007
Classic Member
S197 Member

Send a message via Yahoo to stlwagon
I agree with TB... The claybar will probably do the trick.

1965 Mustang Coupe
BOSS Member
Classic Member
S197 Member

wet sanding will take the decal look away. doesnt sound like its that bad. I have seen vehicals with decals that have been on for years still leave a impression no matter what you do. especially if they were put on right away...say when the car was new...paint was still curing. if you can get a peice of 1500 sand paper....sand the area...you can hand polish 1500 marks out with your polishing compound...if you cant get them all out....your paint guy sure wont charge much or anything at all to finish it for ya.

Saleen S/C 3.2 pulley. Chris Rose tune.

Hot Rod cams, GT500 pumps, CHE goodies on the rear, 4.10's, KOOKS/ O/R X pipe with PYPES Violators, Spydershaft, TCI 3500 stall, PA deep tranny pan. Meziere w/p,M&H 325/45/17 DRs.
S/[email protected]/[email protected]
PONY Member
S197 Member

I can tell you from first hand use that zinio is a great product you can't go wrong with it looks great and last for a long time.I'v had it on my car for over a year and love how it looks. Prep is the key to a good looking car, so clay bar is a must and follow there instructions on there web site it is great and full of information or check out Detailers Club forum they may even have a idea about how to take care of your sticker promble. You can't go wrong with zinio very nice line up of products Good luck

06 mustang gt 5 spd manual redfire/Edelbrock E-Force Stage 1 # 372 /Tillman 93 tune/450 rwhp 435 rwt/GT 500 fuel system/high flow cats X pipe / chrome bullitt wheels / 10inch nitto 555/ MGW shifter /SLP Loudmouth/ sequential turn signals/J&M lca/ painted agent 47 mirrors and Zanio
PONY Member
S197 Member

Is he saying the dealer put the "invoice" sticker on the paint instead of the window??

~M

'05 Ford Mustang GT: C&L CAI; Bassani X & axlebacks; BMR Adj'ble Panhard rod; FRPP 4.10s; MGW shifter; Steeda UDPs; FRPP suspension.

"Got V8?"
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-29-2007 Thread Starter
PONY Member
S197 Member

No it's not the invoice sticker, just a small clear sticker with the dealer name & Ford Logo. I haven't tried the clay bar yet, I got other problems now. The differential (rear end) is whining very loud after driving to Ft. Myers & back last thursday, then I went to the keys this past weekend, now the car is sitting at a local dealer with a Rear End TSB I downloaded from this site. NOT a good way to start off with a car I bought 1 week ago ! I still don't know when I'll get my car back.

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-12-2007 Thread Starter
PONY Member
S197 Member

Well the clay bar didn't work, wet nor dry. You can hardly notice it, but the image from the dealer sticker is embedded into the paint. I'll have no choice now but to take it to my paint guy for a wet sand. On the positive side, I got the rear end fixed, no more whining noise.

PONY Member
S197 Member

Definitely let a "pro" take a look at it...if you've clayed bar it and it doesn't come off...don't mess with it anymore...let the paint guy do his thing..."wetsanding" is an art and you could cause more damage....

2006 Mustang GT Premium, Windveil Blue, Light Graphite Leather, Auto, Shaker 500, IUP

Current Stable:
2006 Mustang GT
2002 Nissan Maxima
2001 Corvette Coupe
2011 Honda Pilot
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page