Question on underdrive pullies - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Apprentice
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thump_rrr View Post
Since you are new to the stang scene I will make a few suggestions.
Pulleys are great and they should be on the short list of modifications.
The first modification in my opinion is a tuner and a cold air intake.
These 2 modifications are the best bang for the buck.

Forget the BS of all the Cold Air Intakes that claim you don't need a tune.
Get one of the proven ones.
The best of the best are (in no particular order)
C&L either Street or Racer
Steeda now with the new elbow.
JLT
Demolet tunable intake.
WMS

The one intake you can now use without a tune which is great is the Steeda with the sleeve in it.
This is because it is designed so that the sleeve can be removed in the future when you get a tuner without being stuck with an inferior intake. This intake sleeve has just been released so this may give the Steeda a slight advantage in the upgradability department.

The second thing is a tuner which allows you to tune the car for various grades of fuel to increase the performance, improve the throttle response of the drive by wire system, change gear ratios and tire diameter settings if you change tires or gears etc.

There are quite a few good tuners out there such as Doug from Bamachips and Brent from brenspeed. do your reasearch and you won't be disappointed.
The C&L Street also comes with an removable insert that will allow you to install now and tune later.

06 Torch Red GT Premium, 5 spd manual, Tint, Chin Spoiler, Hood Scoop, Rear Valance, 1/4 Window Louvers, 1/4 Side Scoops, Mac Perf Axlebacks, K member brace w/Torque Limiters, Sequentials, UDP, Hurst Shifter, eH2O, AutoMeter Cobalt gauges, C&L racer, SCT w/custom tune
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HG06GT View Post
The C&L Street also comes with an removable insert that will allow you to install now and tune later.
Hmmmm...I hadn't heard THAT before. I know that the Airaid piece has the removable venturi. I don't believe the C&L does however.

Classic Member
S197 Member

Send a message via Yahoo to stlwagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirGoNomyk View Post
Hmmmm...I hadn't heard THAT before. I know that the Airaid piece has the removable venturi. I don't believe the C&L does however.
C&L did just come out with a 'no tune required' application. Just saw it on the website last week.

1965 Mustang Coupe

PONY Member
S197 Member

Send a message via MSN to thump_rrr
Sorry I'm the one who goofed.
Thanks HG06GT and stlwagon for correcting me.
It was C&L NOT Steeda which had the removable sleeve.
Sorry for the mistake.
I have both the C&L Street and Racer intake and I prefer the Racer for the simple fact that the plastic has less mass and cools quicker.

05 White GT Premium 5 Sp. IUP, Active Alarm
BMR, C&L, Centerforce, Fidanza, FRPP, GI Joe, JBA, JDM Engineering, LPW, Saleen, SCT, Steeda, SOS

S/C 1.613 60'. 4.748 330', 7.332 @ 93.75mph 1/8th, 9.566 1000', 11.427 @ 119.92 1/4mile
Classic Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Sorry I'm the one who goofed.
Thanks HG06GT and stlwagon for correcting me.
It was C&L NOT Steeda which had the removable sleeve.
Sorry for the mistake.
I have both the C&L Street and Racer intake and I prefer the Racer for the simple fact that the plastic has less mass and cools quicker.
I thought someone had compared IATs between the two and found minimal difference. But I agree plastic should cool quicker.

1965 Mustang Coupe
PONY Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlwagon View Post
I thought someone had compared IATs between the two and found minimal difference. But I agree plastic should cool quicker.
IAT temp differences are virtually non existent when driving down the road.
When waiting in line at the drag strip with the engine idling the heat soak on the aluminum intake manifold is substantial.

Now icing down the aluminum intake manifold till the car is at the front of the line gives a considerable gain.

BMR, C&L, Centerforce, Fidanza, FRPP, GI Joe, JBA, JDM Engineering, LPW, Saleen, SCT, Steeda, SOS

S/C 1.613 60'. 4.748 330', 7.332 @ 93.75mph 1/8th, 9.566 1000', 11.427 @ 119.92 1/4mile
Classic Member
S197 Member

Quote:
IAT temp differences are virtually non existent when driving down the road.
When waiting in line at the drag strip with the engine idling the heat soak on the aluminum intake manifold is substantial.

Now icing down the aluminum intake manifold till the car is at the front of the line gives a considerable gain.
Yeah, makes sense. How do you ice yours down? In the past I've soaked towels in water and then frozen them. Seemed to work pretty good.

1965 Mustang Coupe
PONY Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Yeah, makes sense. How do you ice yours down? In the past I've soaked towels in water and then frozen them. Seemed to work pretty good.
Bag of ice on top of intake wrapped in large artificial shammy to catch melting ice water and held together with big tie-wraps.

Classic Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Bag of ice on top of intake wrapped in large artificial shammy to catch melting ice water and held together with big tie-wraps.
Wonder if anyone's ever thought of some kind of reusable/refreezable device? That could be a money-maker

1965 Mustang Coupe
S197 Member

http://www.mustang50magazine.com/tec...ons/index.html
Here you go. Have fun. Make sure you keep future upgrades in mind. Personally my Tunable Induction didn't fit under my hood after I installed the Saleen S/C.
S197 Member

Quote:
Wonder if anyone's ever thought of some kind of reusable/refreezable device? That could be a money-maker
They actually have but were selling it at an outrageous price and a good ol 99c bag of ice worked better.

since the underdrive pulley thread's already here, wanted to know if i needed to get new belts if I purchased the motoblue pulleys. Got a buddy who will help me install them and wanted to know what I'm getting into before i jump into it. thanks!
PONY Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfnstang View Post
since the underdrive pulley thread's already here, wanted to know if i needed to get new belts if I purchased the motoblue pulleys. Got a buddy who will help me install them and wanted to know what I'm getting into before i jump into it. thanks!
No need to replace the belt because they adjust the water pump pulley size along with the crankshaft pulley.

06 GT Legend Lime, Konig Beyonds, Hurst, JBA, Steeda stuff, MAC CAI, Sniper tuned, LT's, catted H pipe, VIS Racing CF heat extractor hood, Tokico D-Specs, Silver Horse Racing, LLR #0174

08 GT Performance White, Konig Beyonds, Legend Lime accents.
Classic Member
S197 Member

Just FYI, if you ever add an electric water pump you will require a 99" belt vs the std 101".

1965 Mustang Coupe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page