Question about removing a harmonic balancer - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-17-2007 Thread Starter
SHELBY GT 500 Member

Garage
Well, I got that pesky bolt off. My impact wrench did work, I just had to soak the bolt in penetraitng fluid for awile. I also pour a bit of Coca cola on it, that seemed to help.

Now for the bad news....the timing cover was stubborn to get off. In the process of prying off the timing cover, some how I missed a bolt and ended up breaking the timing cover where the bold was. So the timing cover is shot. But the harmonic balancer and crank pulley are good, so not a total loss. I was also able to get the water pump pulley, the distributor, distributor bracket and the oil filter mount, so I just need to replace the timing cover.

Oh well, I guess every now and then, you have to break something to learn how to do something. I at least now know how to take off a harmonic balancer and what to look for regarding bolts on a timing cover.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Apprentice
2.3L Member
5.0L Member

Im Surpirised You Took It Off With That Small Gun. Impact Guns Now Range From 600ftlbs To 1,000ftlbs Of Torque. Usually A Good Impact Does The Trick And You Dont Have To Fuss Around With Coca Cola. Pepsi Or Dr Peppers.

J. Lopez
Apprentice

Send a message via Yahoo to MrKABC
Your problem was your impact was underpowered. I learned the hard way when installing my Steeda UDPs that a 250 ft/lb impact gun isn't sufficient.

Go to Harbor Freight and pick up an "earthquake" impact gun.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...=321&pricetype=

625 ft/lbs of torque baby! I bought one. One blast of that bad boy and I had my harmonic balancer bolt off the car!

The beauty of it is that it only uses 4.5cfm at 90 psi, that's within the range of most air compressors. It rocks!

2005 Mustang GT 5spd Premium Convertible
Performance Mods:
C&L Trueflow CAI and Bamachips XCal2 91 Torque, Flowmaster ATs, Steeda UDPs, FRPP STB, MGW shifter.
Other Mods:
Ford OEM HID headlights, Raxiom Gen5 LED Tail Lights, NAV unit, LED Fog Lights, GT500 spoiler, GT/CS scoops, CDC Chin Spoiler & Detail Corral, Gentex compass/temp/Homelink, Webelectric Pony Corral, Clear switchback LED turn signals, MRT Hood Struts, Smoked LED 3rd Brake Light, interior bling parts.
Future Mods:
I'm good.

BOSS Member
Classic Member
S197 Member

Send a message via Yahoo to zmanm3
Glad it worked out for you!

05 - Zeon body kit, Saleen S/C, 3.6" pully, 90mm MAF, L/T Heders, Catted X-Pipe, Saleen Race Craft suspension, Axel brace, Pan hard bar. More to come this spring from my friends at PMP and Larry H.
65 - Street force coil over front suspension, Wilwood disk breaks at all 4 wheels, More construction in progress! More to come this spring from Simons Auto & Restoration!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page