2006 Mustang GTQuestion about check engine code after installing CAI and tune - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-17-2007 Thread Starter
Apprentice
S197 Member

2006 Mustang GTQuestion about check engine code after installing CAI and tune

I just installed my C&L race cai and then put in the 93 octane box tune from SCT SF. (I do have 93 octane in the tank).This is on my 06 GT, manual trans. Wow, what a difference! Everything was doing fine with no problems at all. I was at a friends house about 10 miles from my house and on the way home, my check engine light came on approximately 2 miles from home. I had just gotten off of the highway from cruising speed of 70 mph for about 7 miles and was sitting at a traffic signal for 90 seconds or so when the check engine light came on. All gauges looked ok, the engine was not running rough or anything so I eased her on home the last couple of miles and shut her off. I checked for codes and had two of them - P0171 and P0174. (System too lean bank 1 and System too lean bank 2). I then cleared the codes using the SCT SF and restarted the engine and everything was ok again. No check engine light on. It initially idled a little rough for about 20 or 30 seconds and then smoothed out. My question is this; is this part of the cars computer learning curve over the next few days until things balance out or should I be concerned and investigate further?

06 Torch Red GT Premium, 5 spd manual, Tint, Chin Spoiler, Hood Scoop, Rear Valance, 1/4 Window Louvers, 1/4 Side Scoops, Mac Perf Axlebacks, K member brace w/Torque Limiters, Sequentials, UDP, Hurst Shifter, eH2O, AutoMeter Cobalt gauges, C&L racer, SCT w/custom tune
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-17-2007
PONY Member
S197 Member

Is the tune for the CAI or is it a canned tune for just 93 octane? I had the same problem with my Predator custom tune and found I had to richen it up globally. Not sure how the SCT is.

06 GT Legend Lime, Konig Beyonds, Hurst, JBA, Steeda stuff, MAC CAI, Sniper tuned, LT's, catted H pipe, VIS Racing CF heat extractor hood, Tokico D-Specs, Silver Horse Racing, LLR #0174

08 GT Performance White, Konig Beyonds, Legend Lime accents.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-17-2007 Thread Starter
Apprentice
S197 Member

It is a canned tune for the cia. It is not a custom tune, though.

06 Torch Red GT Premium, 5 spd manual, Tint, Chin Spoiler, Hood Scoop, Rear Valance, 1/4 Window Louvers, 1/4 Side Scoops, Mac Perf Axlebacks, K member brace w/Torque Limiters, Sequentials, UDP, Hurst Shifter, eH2O, AutoMeter Cobalt gauges, C&L racer, SCT w/custom tune

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-17-2007
MACH I Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Send a message via AIM to Kyle F Send a message via Yahoo to Kyle F
Sounds like the O2 sensors were tryign to richen it up and couldn't compensate for the air not being metered correctly by the MAF, because your new one is larger. I would contact the person you bought the tune from and verify that it is for your chosen CAI.

2006 Mustang GT in Torch Red
C&L Intake, Evolution Performance Tune, Borla Axle Backs, Hurst Shifter, 4.10's, JBA Long Tubes, Prothane Engine Mounts, Steeda UDPs, FRPP Charge Motion Delete Plates

84 Bronco, 302 C6 on 32 10.50's
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-17-2007 Thread Starter
Apprentice
S197 Member

When I was tuning there was an option to turn off the rear O2 sensors. I did not change the setting and I left them turned on. BTW, the box tune came from SCT and I selected the C&L cai during the tuning process. I will probably contact SCT if it happens again.

post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-17-2007
PONY Member
S197 Member

I hope some of the tuners can chime in for you on the O2 sensors. I remember having an issue with mine on my first tune and don't remember how the tuner resolved it (I was a little wet behind the ears on the tune thing then).

06 GT Legend Lime, Konig Beyonds, Hurst, JBA, Steeda stuff, MAC CAI, Sniper tuned, LT's, catted H pipe, VIS Racing CF heat extractor hood, Tokico D-Specs, Silver Horse Racing, LLR #0174

08 GT Performance White, Konig Beyonds, Legend Lime accents.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-17-2007
SHELBY GT 500 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HG06GT View Post
I just installed my C&L race cai and then put in the 93 octane box tune from SCT SF. (I do have 93 octane in the tank).This is on my 06 GT, manual trans. Wow, what a difference! Everything was doing fine with no problems at all. I was at a friends house about 10 miles from my house and on the way home, my check engine light came on approximately 2 miles from home. I had just gotten off of the highway from cruising speed of 70 mph for about 7 miles and was sitting at a traffic signal for 90 seconds or so when the check engine light came on. All gauges looked ok, the engine was not running rough or anything so I eased her on home the last couple of miles and shut her off. I checked for codes and had two of them - P0171 and P0174. (System too lean bank 1 and System too lean bank 2). I then cleared the codes using the SCT SF and restarted the engine and everything was ok again. No check engine light on. It initially idled a little rough for about 20 or 30 seconds and then smoothed out. My question is this; is this part of the cars computer learning curve over the next few days until things balance out or should I be concerned and investigate further?
Thats the same one I installed. did you go back and make sure everything is tight? I would also go back to stock and then reload the 93 tune back again and try it. If that doesn't do it I would contact the shop you bought it.

2011 GT Candy Red
07 REDFIRE GT Gone
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-17-2007 Thread Starter
Apprentice
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booger View Post
I hope some of the tuners can chime in for you on the O2 sensors. I remember having an issue with mine on my first tune and don't remember how the tuner resolved it (I was a little wet behind the ears on the tune thing then).
This is a first for me too. I'm learning alot. Got a lot more to learn!

post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-17-2007
GT Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booger View Post
I had the same problem with my Predator custom tune and found I had to richen it up globally. Not sure how the SCT is.
I had the same issue, but mine was returning a burning rich code.
I uninsalled the 93 tune back to stock, and then did a fresh 93 reload, and have not had a problem since. (3 months)

To few to mention, actually to lazy to
01 Jeep Cherokee Sport - Silver (His Daily)
05 Mustang V6 Coupe, 5 sp - Redfire (Her Toy)
06 Pontiac Solstice Vert 5 sp - White His Roadster
07 Mustang GT Vert, 5 sp - Redfire His Toy
09 Hyundai Santa Fe - White Metallic (Her Daily)
11 Chevy Silverado 5.3L ExtCab-Light Gray (His)
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-17-2007 Thread Starter
Apprentice
S197 Member

I am going to be going out of town for a week so I am out of time to work on this rite now. It is going to have to sit at home and wait for my return next weekend. I'll double check everything and try the tune re-install when I get back. Thanks for everybodies suggestions. I'll check back in when I get back in town.

This is a great example of why you would want to have a local dyno tuner tune your car. Mail order tunes are based on the tuners interpretation of how your car is set up. Take it to someone local with a dyno and have them tune it for you. Without a wide band O2 sensor, you have no idea what the car is doing and neither would a tuner that has no idea what your car is doing because they are not there with the car using a wide band on it. Based on the readings from the wideband, the local tuner can make the proper adjustments for your mods. If you go mail order, it's just a guess tune.
PONY Member
S197 Member

The SF C&L tune is probably for the Street/Strip intake (Aluminum). The racer intake has a larger 95mm MAF which requires a different tune.

2006 RedFire GT Coupe, Premium, Dark Charcoal Leather, Shaker 500, 5-Sp Manual, Active Anti-Theft, IUP, 18" Polished Bullitts, Side Airbags.
Mods: WebElectric Sequentials, OEM Sirius Satellite Radio, OEM Plenum Cover, FRPP GTA Axle Backs, G-TECH PRO RR, C&L Racer CAI / X3 / Brenspeed 91 Tune, Ford Racing 'Bullitt' Strut Brace, Hurst Billet Shifter.
Classic Member
S197 Member

Send a message via Yahoo to stlwagon
The rear O2 sensors have nothing to do with adjusting the A/F, they just measure cat effeciency. A/F adjustments are the job of the front O2 sensors. If it is running lean, I'd be very careful running it until you get things squared away with your tune. Check your CAI install to ensure no instake leaks. Also check your MAF install to ensure it's in properly.

1965 Mustang Coupe
Apprentice

I just went through a similar problem with my Steeda CAI (90mm MAF) and their intake tube. The most recent update to my DSP (U7140 DSP Logo) is r36 which includes a tune to take care of the 'Running Lean" codes for the Steeda CAI. There are also C&L tunes in r36 that may take care of your problem.

If you have the DSP with a C&L Logo and you bought the tuner with the C&L CAI then you need to contact C&L. Lee Bender at C&L (the owner and really helpful) or one of his techs should be able to help you out on this issue.

Good luck!

"Safety Fast"

2008 Bullitt, #0546, Black
2005 GT Coupe, Performance White
SHELBY GT 350 Member
S197 Member

It sounds like an air like since it threw the code while idling (too litle air over the MAF?)

And as said above a dyno tune is the way to go... I'd always get a few mods ready to go, throw it on and drive nicely to the tuner... I want, no, I NEED to know my A/F is correct and on the safe side... but that's me...

KJ, poorer but happier

Thanks to:
Modular Depot
Fox Lake Racing
Tunable Induction
Power House 411
Sun Coast Creations
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page